PDA

View Full Version : company's for sales?

Frontier-Lawn
12-03-2006, 12:02 AM
were can i find out if there is any local lawn company's for sale? i may have a potential silent partner that will back me $$$ wise.

J Hisch
12-03-2006, 12:29 AM
search the internet, there was some in FL around Sarasota Area, a couple weeks ago. Also, put ad in paper letting people know you are interested in buying lawn care companies.

Richard Martin
12-03-2006, 09:17 AM
You can look for lawn companies on Ebay too.

DixieFerris
12-03-2006, 10:34 AM
don't waste your money. You don't need to buy a company unless the price is incredible. Remember if someone is going out of business and hasn't signed those customers up for the future, then they are all available for free!

Frontier-Lawn
12-03-2006, 11:18 AM
what im looking for is a older company(10+yrs in bizz) that the owner wants to retire.

paponte
12-03-2006, 11:28 AM
There are a couple in the SW FL area, but are going for well over $75k. Any reputable company would normally use and agency to sell. :)

rodfather
12-03-2006, 12:06 PM
what im looking for is a older company(10+yrs in bizz) that the owner wants to retire.

Too bad you're 1300 miles away

turfsolutions
12-03-2006, 12:23 PM
"don't waste your money. You don't need to buy a company unless the price is incredible. Remember if someone is going out of business and hasn't signed those customers up for the future, then they are all available for free!"

If this is the case than all of my many seasons in business will eventually come to an end with no monetary compensation for my efforts. What totally depressing thought. I hope this is not the case for all of us in business.

Lets say you have built up a reputable, well maintained and recorded business that brings in 500k per year gross and nets 100k per year profit with 200-300 long time contracted customers.

Lets say this business is asking $100K. Is it a good deal? Look at it this way. You borrow the $100K over 5 years, and pay back $25K per year with interest. As long as you can maintain the business at the current rate you will make $75K per year for 5 years, then after 5 years own the business outright. All this without having to go through the trouble of building up a customer base and all the weeding out of PITA customers, marketing failures, developing administrative and on the job systems, etc.. etc.. etc.. Its all been done for you by someone who put his time in and wants to be rewarded, just like you will want to be rewarded after you have put your time in.

Yes, you can go out yourself and start from scratch, but it will take years to acquire good, reliable, well paying customers that can bring in this kind of money each year. For the first several years you won't make much.

For all the hours in labor spent, and money invested into the business to build up, one should be able to recover their investment and labor. At least I hope so after this rat race is done.

I personally think that a $100K investment in this particular company would be a bargain.

To answer your original question. Look in the business for sale section of Lawn and Landscape Magazine. There is usually 10 or so for sale a month.

paponte
12-03-2006, 12:33 PM
Well put turf, but people argue this all the time. Like you or myself I can't agree with it having no monetary value. As you said someone has put years of sweat and trial and error in something to create a profitable and reputable business.

I also feel and I am sure I will catch some heat from this one... Most people that say don't waste your money on buying are usually smaller companies with much smaller net income with less working capital in their business. Not that they are not good at their trade, but sometimes lack the business man attitude and perspectives.

Honestly I have been talking to a couple of members on this site, and am contemplating selling my business here in NY, and making a move down south. To be honest, I have a reputable and profitable business here and would be giving up alot. I would take probably 2 trucks and a bunch of equipment with the move and would have to purchase an existing lco in order to turn enough revenue to cover my overhead and costs of living. To say my company is worthless or a potential company I am looking at has no value is absolutely asinine. You could NEVER turn numbers and existing company currently does without a serious marketing plan or without buying someone out.