PDA

View Full Version : plate compactor compaction force

bigviclbi
12-03-2006, 01:09 AM
Right now I run a stone plate tamper I've had for 4 years that's been great but I want to add another one for next season. Is there a # I should be looking for concerning minimum compaction force? I've found some great prices in the Northern Tool catalog. The two i'm looking at would both have the honda 5.5hp engine. One is a reversible with 6856 lbs./ force for $2000 the other is forward only with 3527lbs/force for $1050. My main question is would the larger compactor allow me to do 4" lifts? The reversible feature doesn't make that much difference since i don't do alot of walls, and its about twice as heavy as the other one. Thanks for any input.

cgland
12-03-2006, 05:25 PM
bigvic - I would go with the reversible. We have the Wacker 2540A with 5,600# of force, a Dynapac with 4,000# of force and a Wacker 1450 with 3,200# of force and by far the most used is the 2540A. We can do 4" lifts with it and the fact that it is reversible is great no matter what type of hardscaping you are doing. The 2540 costs around $3,300. Be careful with the stuff from Northern. I have heard some horror stories.

Chris

bigviclbi
12-03-2006, 05:37 PM
CG-i've got a tamper and saw with the 5.5 honda and they are great engines, not a single prob. What else is there really to a tamper as far as quality? It seems to me not alot, but they are cheap. What have you heard about their stuff?

Henry
12-03-2006, 07:00 PM
Most plates that size would have a 9hp engine. The plate is also about 5" narrower than a compactor from a major name brand with comparable force. It seem to me that they are built with smaller components (engine, exciter, plate) to keep the price low. However, you will spend more time compacting because your hitting less square feet on each pass.

bigviclbi
12-03-2006, 07:22 PM
Thanks for the info henry that's why I posted before I bought it.