PDA

View Full Version : free estimates?

bobbygedd
06-24-2001, 01:12 AM
each year in march we advertise in a local newspaper, always get a million calls, most from people we call "strokers", these r serious price shoppers looking to take the guy out of the 100 they called, to cut for 50 cents less. i got sick and tired of wasting my time and fuel driving to these estimates. what we started doing is this: i tell them on the phone that we have a minimum of ..., we do not give free estimates, however we will come by and do a cut next time in that area for xxx dollars, this way we can show u what kind of job we do, and then discuss regular service if u r pleased. picked up a couple new ones like this and saved alot of hours . what do u all think?

HOMER
06-24-2001, 01:17 AM
Might work.

I think I'm going to start telling them up front that I have a $100.
00 a month minimum............year round. That will scare the price shoppers around here off, the ones that agree I'll go see.

kturner
06-24-2001, 01:18 AM
Yeah, what do ya do? I think that's about the only way I've heard to at least make your trip worthwhile. I don't use the paper much, word of mouth and truck signs seem to produce a better class of client for some reason.

Fantasy Lawns
06-24-2001, 02:13 AM
estimates are free ......n yes we have a minimum ....but we serve steaks NOT hamburgers :->

lakegastonla
06-24-2001, 10:03 AM
I don't offer "free estimates". The people who usually respond are tire kickers and price shoppers. These types will rarely, if ever, be loyal to your company. They are after the bottom line and the absolute cheapest takes the cake. I also do not like bid work, as I find it insulting to have done good work for a company all year for them to bid it out again in the hopes of finding a cheaper price.

Island Lawn
06-24-2001, 11:11 AM
How about a line in your ad :
"Prices starting @..."

Any opinions?

bubenberg
06-24-2001, 12:49 PM
am getting ready to do my august adv. you have some good ideas .....NO MORE FREE ESTIMATES ....is my resolution TOO .... Minimum Charge is the way to go ....great going guys:blob3:

bobbygedd
06-24-2001, 01:09 PM
hold on now, that was just for grass cutting. landscaping, thatching, seeding etc. still must be dealt with on a must see and sell the work basis