PDA

View Full Version : Is this a practical purchase?

J&R Landscaping
12-03-2006, 02:44 PM
I was out looking at trucks yesterday and came across a NEW F-350 dump truck at a really good price. The truck had a 6.8L V-10 in it and a 6 speed manual tranny with a 4:10 (I think) rear end.

The truck is a 2005 left over and the dealer wants to unload it. The final price on it after some haggleing was $23,864. I really like the price but I am concerned about it only being 2wd.

I know Brickman's trucks are all 2wd but they are also F-450 trucks so they are heavier.

Any input is appreiciated!

hosejockey2002
12-03-2006, 03:14 PM
What type of dump box does it have? As far as 4WD, unless you plow or take it off the pavement a lot 2WD should work fine. My 2500HD with a dump insert is 2WD and I've never spun a wheel. The V10 with 6 speed should be a powerful puller.

J&R Landscaping
12-03-2006, 03:17 PM
It had plenty of power but I do plan on plowing snow. Thats my overall question, will this being only 2wd be decent for plowing?

LindblomRJ
12-03-2006, 03:22 PM
If you put a sander in the back or plenty of ballast, maybe have a set of chains at the ready, you would be okay. 4WD would be better. Offer him $20,000 if they balk, walk away.

I have run a 76 Chevrolet, 83 Chevrolet and 91 Ford all 1 tons with dumps on them, the chevrolets had plows on them and worked fine.

waltero
12-03-2006, 06:11 PM
If you are going to plow get a 4wd truck, period. I don't care how much weight you plan on putting in the back, etc... If you do the same to a 4x4 you have a much better plow truck. You have to realize that the kind of plowing most people do is smaller lots, back and forth, stop and go. You will need the extra traction when you are changing direction, reversing and if you have to plow downhill it is even more important.

Take a look at how a town might plow and you can see where they can get away with a 2wd on a larger truck. They usually have a larger medium sized truck over loaded and tend to plow on streets that allow them to keep up the momentum.

The cost of 4x4 should also be added to the cost of snowplowing. You may have a 4x4 that you drive all year long, but the cost of the 4x4 should be charged to your snow plowing customers because you didn't use it in the summer. You need to charge an amount that will pay for thetruck, 4x4, plow, spreader, wear and tear, salt, your salary and any employees that you may have. If you try to work for less, you are cheating yourself and others.

If you get a 2wd and commit to plow a whole bunch of residential and commercial lots and decide that because you didn't buy a 4x4, you can plow cheaper then the next guy etc...., when you get stuck and get behind or get slammed by a huge storm and can't move the snow, now you have to find someone to help you and you can't because they are busy, etc... you will wish that you spent the extra money, not to mention the cost in time and money if you do get stuck and have to wait for someone to pull you out. You have to realize that there is a huge difference between 2wd and 4x4. It sounds like you are going to be a one man show and if this is true then you need to prepare for the worse, Get the best equipment, have backup equipment or help from others in case you cannot finish the work. If you can't do the job and the corner gas station calls you and wants to know when you are coming and you say you just can't, they will call someone else and do you know who will pay that bill also???

Don't be penny wise and pound foolish.

Walter

tthomass
12-03-2006, 07:56 PM
Aside from plowing will the truck serve its purpose for you?

Example:

I currently have a '02 Chevy 2500HD + a 10k GVW dump trailer. Even if I bought a 4500 I would still be in the same boat that I am now. Therefore I bought a 26k GVW Intl and now I really can "do more". BUT I will not be using it for plowing but if you already have a plow truck this is something to consider.

Gravel Rat
12-03-2006, 08:37 PM
I wouldn't buy a 2wd especially if you want to plow you don't want to use chains on peoples driveways. I have been running 2wd F-350s and F-450s for 14 years and use them offroad it is a pain like today I got stuck and cursing 2wd. A person doesn't use 4wheeldrive all the time but when you need it you need it.

RockSet N' Grade
12-03-2006, 09:27 PM
I would want to know what your rear end ratio is....for reals. When you take it on the highway does it tach out at 55mph?

Gravel Rat
12-03-2006, 10:27 PM
A V-10 F-350 may have 4:30s but you would want 4:10s the V-10 is a screamer anyhow so your not going to be limited for speed.

J&R Landscaping
12-03-2006, 10:51 PM
It had no problem doing 75mph plus down the highway.

I currently have a 94 f250 4x4 that I could put a plow on. I have been looking for a plow for it but havent found anything yet. This is ok though because I dont have any plowign customers yet, just potential customers but NO SIGNED CONTRACTS for plowing in hand. Just residential driveways that my snow blower will handle with ease!

Mike33
12-03-2006, 11:01 PM
I started out with an old 79 gmc 1 ton dually 2wd. I plowed snow for 3 years with it. Yes 4wd is nicer but it can work. I hauled around 1 skid of salt for weight and plowed blacktop lots. I never took it in bad places dirt roads etc.
But it was all i had and i made it work. i even plowed the 96 blizzard and never got stuck, came home for some sleep and went thru our main roads that wasent plowed for several hours. I even pulled a dodge 4wd out of a snow bank on the one lot i was helping with. The dual wheel and weight does a good job. Most of our state, city, and county trucks are only 2 wd. Having the right weight and knowing how to drive in the snow is the key. If you could get a 4wd. go for it, but i made work with what i had in the early years.
Mike

J&R Landscaping
12-04-2006, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the insight! Anyone else have any pro's or cons?

Scag48
12-04-2006, 02:50 PM
High gear ratio + 2wd = bad plow truck. I'd keep looking.

Ferdelance
12-04-2006, 09:46 PM
I used to have a 2wd dually stakebody Dodge ram. I learned that even with a pallet of salt and tire chains, I still got stuck on hills during mild snowstorms. After I bought a Ford F-250 4x4, snow was no longer a scary experience. Don't buy a 2wd if you're going to plow.

J&R Landscaping
12-04-2006, 10:27 PM
I think I'm gonna stick to my guns and walk away from this truck. I like the price but its not exactly what I wanted.

tthomass
12-04-2006, 11:02 PM
All I can say is take your time. Once I decided I needed the 2nd truck I spent 2 months researching and locating the right one. Now that I've got it, another month before its outfitted and ready. BUT it will be exactly what I want and need.........I know this because I "took my time". I wanted to trush, found one in FL........great deal but now I'm glad I didn't as it wouldn't be setup how I really want.

gammon landscaping
12-04-2006, 11:03 PM
we don't plow down here but one thing you might want to look at is dumping. i barrowed a ton dump the other day(2wd). most of the time i am dumping rock and dirt. and well you don't dump that on blacktop you do it in a vally or sink hole, most of the time not ideal condtions. 4wd is the only way

Gravel Rat
12-04-2006, 11:16 PM
The 2wd F-450s are not too bad because you have some ground clearance but the 2wd F-350s they are too low to the ground. I have had problems with 2wd F-350s sinking and bottoming out. The F-350s in snow was frustrating because it wouldn't go anywhere even with weight.

My Old Body Style (OBS) F-450s are not too bad being they are mono beam front axle and leaf springs on all 4 corners. A locker would probably help in the traction dept. I like the OBS 450s because they make good dump trucks you can put 7000lbs on them.

Now that I'am going to a bigger truck probably going to look for a F-350 4x4 for carrying my tools or a P/U truck. In my mind 4wheeldrive should be standard issue on light trucks and 2wd trucks are special order.

J&R Landscaping
12-05-2006, 11:06 PM
The 2wd F-450s are not too bad because you have some ground clearance but the 2wd F-350s they are too low to the ground. I have had problems with 2wd F-350s sinking and bottoming out. The F-350s in snow was frustrating because it wouldn't go anywhere even with weight.

My Old Body Style (OBS) F-450s are not too bad being they are mono beam front axle and leaf springs on all 4 corners. A locker would probably help in the traction dept. I like the OBS 450s because they make good dump trucks you can put 7000lbs on them.

Now that I'am going to a bigger truck probably going to look for a F-350 4x4 for carrying my tools or a P/U truck. In my mind 4wheeldrive should be standard issue on light trucks and 2wd trucks are special order.

I agree with you on the low front end clearance!!!!

Scag48
12-06-2006, 06:33 PM
Didn't think about the ground clearance, my dad's '99 F350 P/U hung up where my F450 would clear easy. We had a job this spring that was heavy off road work. He actually drug transfer case on the ground towing our mini ex across old orchard (holes in the ground). I did the same thing about a week later with the F450 and never got close, the 450/550's sit so much higher. As far as getting stuck goes, I could get the F450 physically stuck faster. The front tires are terrible, there's no grip to them at all. Narrow with a crappy bar like tread. Add that to having dual rears and you'll stuck easy. Sand was giving me problems where a standard truck with good AT's wouldn't have been an issue even in 2wd. But, once that F450 was loaded, there was no getting it stuck. I made some long runs up into mountainous territory on some pretty crappy roads towing the mini ex. Loaded a little a tongue heavy and dropped the transfer case in to 4wd low without flipping the hubs I could get just about anywhere.

Gravel Rat
12-07-2006, 01:32 AM
You have to watch out with dually 4x4s the rear duals sink quick and the front wheels don't have enough traction to pull the duals. With my 2wd duallys you get a little too much on the go pedal and before you know it your
down to the axle :angry:

Greybeard
12-07-2006, 09:07 PM
You can plow with 2WD no problem, if you're plowing streets and parking lots. The dually is really too big for residential driveways, because you need an 8.5 or 9-foot blade to clear a wide enough path for your rear axle, especially around corners or at full angle. The old F250 would be a better choice, and a cheaper truck to beat up pushing snow. If the F350 would make money for you the rest of the year, I'd grab it. The V10/6 spd. is a great combo. And if you pick up some commercial plowing in the future, it will work fine. Especially with a sander in back, which can make more money than a plow over the course of the winter.