PDA

View Full Version : making up missed cuts

bobbygedd
06-24-2001, 02:20 AM
ok, what do u folks do in this situation: u cut xyz street on fridays, it rains fri, sat, sun. do u cut xyz street on monday, and then return friday to get back on regular schedule? i have problems with the customers i charge "per cut", they either want me to forget monday and just get back on schedule friday(wich is bull s**t, cus then they want 2 weeks of growth cut for one weeks price), others seem to think that since we did this cut on monday, that i should now come there every monday instead of the usual friday. we dont have these problems with the customers that pay a flat seasonal price because they pay that same price either way, its our "per cut " customers that give us trouble on this. thanks

kturner
06-24-2001, 02:25 AM
I'm sure many will disagree, but I mow it anyway. I usually cannot afford to get off schedule.
I just mow it twice, fast, to pick up the leavings.

But I don't know how you shut the crybabies up.
I'm still working on my patience.

ADLAWNCUTTERS
06-24-2001, 06:35 AM
sorry to hear about your problem. i don't have this problem anymore i only charge a flat rate per month..., if these people are a pain in the rear drop them like a bad habit.peace

Richard Martin
06-24-2001, 07:01 AM
If I get within 5 days of the regular cut (your Monday scenario is an example) I just wait until the next regular cutting date. It is not the customer's fault that you couldn't or wouldn't show up on the regular day.

David Haggerty
06-24-2001, 07:18 AM
Sure sounds like they're trying to get something for nothing. If the lawn needs cut cut it. If they're legitimately just trying to save a buck, give 'em a break. It'll build customer loyalty.

Vandora Lawn & Landscape
06-24-2001, 10:35 AM
I don't think it's YOUR fault that it rains? I think we all have to live with nature. Work WITH nature. I think a reasonable surcharge for double cutting if it's needed would be acceptible. You didn't make the grass grow extra high.

Charles
06-24-2001, 10:36 AM
MOst of mine a per cut and I dont have a set day I have to be at anyone of there houses. NO way I could have that kind of schedule. Rains on friday I cut it on monday. Rains on monday I cut it on tuesday and so on. My customers know they can be moved around. No way would I wait and entire week just to keep them on that same day schedule.

Columbia Turf
06-24-2001, 11:12 AM
Sometimes this can be a problem. We use Saterdays to get back on schedule.My guys dont like it but it seems to work. It also helps to be flexible in scheduling.

Missing a cut or two is just one of the downfalls in dealing with mother-nature.

mdb landscaping
06-24-2001, 11:48 AM
i myself will watch the weather and cut a day early if rains expected. i dont have three days i mow, but i know a lot of the local guys around here will mow right after the rain and then mow it again on their normal mowing day. the grass may not be as long, but no way can it wait 2 weeks. either way they are paying for 4 mowings a month.

kturner
06-24-2001, 11:48 AM
Do you guys never mow in the rain? I guess maybe it's just my area, but if I didn't mow in the rain sometimes, there are weeks at a time when I wouldn't be able to mow.

Seattle for ya...

bobbygedd
06-24-2001, 12:05 PM
thank u vandora. we do not cut in the rain, its not worth it, takes extra time, its rough on the machines, makes a mess, and its dangerous slipping and sliding all over the place. seems like though this subject is something that will never be agreed upon by us, or the customers. its a non win, so ill just make my rules and stick by them, if they cant live by them, adios. thanks for the input

Island Lawn
06-24-2001, 12:06 PM
I keep friday's schedule light and fill in some time with make-ups/extras, also a good time for equip maint/ect

Weekends off/family time

cp
06-24-2001, 12:53 PM
Right now my schedule allows me flexibility to make up those missed cuts. Depending on the property, I cut in the rain, unless there is "Lightning".

Runner
06-24-2001, 02:11 PM
I use a 5 to 6 day lapse. If I end up cutting it on Monday, I'm there the following Saturday, then again on Friday. This has been a continual thing all this season, but all the customers are glad they have been getting cut close to their scheduled day and almost always weekly. And yes, I HAVE ran up to almost a wek behind. I hate to let a week go, as I charge by the cut, but sometimes it's just more feasible to do it that way.

summitgroundskeeping
06-24-2001, 06:51 PM
I keep Sunday open for that reason. If I run into that problem I push my schedule back and then cut again on that lawn's normal day to get back on schedule. MOST people don't mind, but I have a problem few.

John DiMartino
06-24-2001, 08:24 PM
Unless its lightning,I cut in the rain,the cut looks as good as when dry,now that i have the Mo-deck on there,I cant afford to wait,being PT my schedule,and FT job dont allow much room.I dont want the same problems bobby is having too.I think its better for the grass to cut it wet,at normal height,than wait til its dry and 10" tall,then wack off 7" of growth in one day.Easier on equipment too.

cos
06-24-2001, 08:29 PM
I always wondered what everyone does in this situation. I was out cutting today just to get back on a Friday schedule. I will cut this saturday so it don't seem that I am coming to cut the grass too often. If someone asks I will tell them that that is how I schedlule cuttings, at the end of the week, and that I will cut them usually on Fridays.

lawrence stone
06-24-2001, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by cos
I always wondered what everyone does in this situation.

If the 7 day cycle is on Friday (like last Friday)and it rains I just do those jobs on the next Monday.

I can handle 10 day old bluegrass in a single pass without bagging without any issues. Plus it's time to raise the deck height up another
1/2" anyway.

cos
06-24-2001, 09:16 PM
What about the next cut? Do you do that in 7 days or wait for next Friday to come?

lawrence stone
06-24-2001, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by cos
What about the next cut? Do you do that in 7 days or wait for next Friday to come?

The next cut would be in 7 to 10 days depending on what day it's going to rain. Toro gear drives give you a good excuse not to
mow in the rain.

thelawnguy
06-24-2001, 10:37 PM
My weekly contracts are written as "every 5-10 days" so Im covered for not mowing in the rain-but this doesnt mean I wont cut immediately after a rain, nor does it preclude mowing a day earlier if rain is predicted.

I also do not schedule mowings for Fridays, so I may catch up if necessary.

Mowing is an inexact science. Just go with the flow.

cos
06-24-2001, 11:26 PM
Most residential cuttings want you to cut closer to the weekend. So if rain persists for 3 days then what? I try to cut every 6 days, going back to Friday if I can. (even Sunday)

bobbygedd
06-25-2001, 01:55 AM
lawrence, so u make up the cut on monday, and return 7-10 days? dont u have certain days for different areas? we do one town on wed, another on thurs, another on friday, etc. so that friday cut that u made up on monday, u will now return to 7 days later, is now a monday cut, dont that mess up your schedule for the rest of the year?

KirbysLawn
06-25-2001, 04:42 AM
If I get rained out on Fri or Sat, I mow Mon, the next mow will either be on Thurs/Friday or the following Wed depending on how the grass is growing, that's the bottom line.

thelawnguy
06-25-2001, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by cos
Most residential cuttings want you to cut closer to the weekend. So if rain persists for 3 days then what? I try to cut every 6 days, going back to Friday if I can. (even Sunday)

Take control of your business. Not everyone can be mowed on the same day (Friday). The customer doesnt need to know you dont normally schedule for Friday, tell them Friday is filled next best is Tue or Wed or whenever.

Try this; want in one hand, $hit in the other, write back and tell us which one filled quicker lol...

TGCummings
06-25-2001, 10:45 AM
During rainy season, I've always cut that missed Friday on Monday, then return the following Tuesday or Wednesday, then back to it's regular Friday (weather permitting, this works well). Lawn gets cut after 10 days the first time, after 8-9 days next, after 9-10 days after.

My customers are made to understand that weather affects scheduling. Where I live, rain is uncommon June-October, so I can set the schedule very well during those months. During November-May, everything hinges on the rain. Those who have not understood that over the years have been released.

I've had neighbors ask why I don't do so-and-so's lawn anymore and I simply tell them they couldn't understand that weather affects my mowing schedule. Generally, the neighbor scoffs at the person that cancelled. In all cases, the former customer's lawn suffers and they end up with the same 'problem' during the rainy season with a new LCO they had with me.

That's just the nature of the business that nature affects the business.

-TGC

powerreel
06-25-2001, 06:07 PM
Get some raingear.

Vandora Lawn & Landscape
06-25-2001, 08:50 PM
I usually cut in the rain as long as it safe for my guys and my equipment. If I see lighting, we dash into the truck and wait for it to pass. Safety first please, but don't waste cutting time.