PDA

View Full Version : De-icing walkways

zedosix
12-04-2006, 06:49 PM
I get alot of requests from my clients as too what is the best way to have a clear sidewalk. Our winters now consist of alot of freezing rain and salting is a big part of clearing our walks and paths now. I have always put de-icing salt myself and have had few problems. At the same time I have been doing alot of step cap replacing the last few years due to over use of salt. What do you people in the colder climates recommend?

BSDeality
12-04-2006, 06:52 PM
Look into a Magic Salt. They make both granular and liquid versions. I have used both with success at my home and driveway. I use granular for rainy/ice events and the liquid for snowstorms. Neither will harm, mark or degrade any surface (afaik)

zedosix
12-04-2006, 07:27 PM
Ok I will do a search and see what comes up. Thank you.

BSDeality
12-04-2006, 08:08 PM
here is a thread I started on Plowsite.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=32250

there are pictures and more details.

GreenMonster
12-04-2006, 08:26 PM
What do you people in the colder climates recommend?

Techo-Bloc.

Lifetime gaurantee, even against de-icing salts

zedosix
12-04-2006, 10:21 PM
Techo-Bloc.

Lifetime gaurantee, even against de-icing salts

Thats what permacon states also and we are seeing the decay still. At this point in time we are dealing with two manufactures of brick and to add one more manuf. products to my shop yard would be a pita.
Anyone from canada with some response to this?

GreenMonster
12-04-2006, 11:18 PM
I don't know who you're using, but I've used Bolduc, Cambridge, Belgard, and it's easy to see that Techo is the most dense, simply by how much more difficult they are to cut.

The Belgard Cambridge cobble we used a while back was like cutting butter with a hot knife in comparison.

PSUturf
12-08-2006, 03:40 PM
I think Magic Salt is magnesium chloride which is supposed to be safe for use on concrete......when used at recommended rates. I know from personal experience that it will cause concrete to flake if you repeatedly use alot of it.

TJLANDS
12-09-2006, 01:34 PM
I think Magic Salt is magnesium chloride which is supposed to be safe for use on concrete......when used at recommended rates. I know from personal experience that it will cause concrete to flake if you repeatedly use alot of it.
Magic salt is regular rock salt coated with a magic salt liquid, I think it is called magic minus 0.
If you want to use something sodium free that will not harm any concrete go with Lesco meltII.

Uranus
12-09-2006, 01:37 PM
I jusy poor hot water on my sidewalk. And when the driveway ices up I break out the hose and I have a hot water tap in the garage and start watering. It never grows!