PDA

View Full Version : Toro reverse mechanism

LCPullman
12-04-2006, 10:47 PM
I've been pulling apart some rotors recently out of curiosity, and I came across a reverse mechanism I'm not familiar with on a Toro V-1550. There is a clear plastic plate near the bottom of the riser that can rotate between two positions. A metal rod connects it to the arc setting mechanism. It seems that the clear plastic plate has water channels through it, so when the plate is rotated, the turbine has to reverse direction.
I was wondering if anyone knows how common this reversing method is.
I'm really only familiar with the spring type reversing mechanisms found in the Hunter PGP and Rainbird 5000 which mount on the output side of the internal gear case.

eagle irrigation
12-05-2006, 12:13 AM
I can throw a Toro V-1550 very far.

koster_irrigation
12-05-2006, 07:40 AM
I remember when those came out. Seems like around '96 I thought they were so cool looking. I recall trying to adjust the first one and stripped the slot out on the top with the little key! I installed only about 2 cases of the 1550s, i was stuck on S700's

They had alot of wiper seal problems.

wk

Wet_Boots
12-05-2006, 08:10 AM
Did they ever deal with the wiper seal problems? I've only fiddled with a shrub version, and it did look like it had good distribution. It had a grey top, which I think meant it was a low-pressure version. I always keep an eye open for a head with adjustable low-angle capability, for some of the replacement of older heads. That the V-1550 also seems to have a 'clutch' in it, to prevent damage from tampering, makes it all that more worthy.

LCPullman
12-05-2006, 10:41 AM
I got a few of them a couple years ago to test out, but even with good pressure, the water wouldn't pressurize the wiper seal, it just went around the seal and so the riser wouldn't come up all the way.
Some nice features, but it really doesn't work around here.

Wet_Boots
12-05-2006, 10:51 AM
Poor Toro. They've had wiper-seal headaches going way back, although they usually worked them out.

koster_irrigation
12-05-2006, 05:16 PM
Ive got TWO cases at my shop today i noticed of 1550 shrub heads with the purple effluent tops if anyone wants to buy them.

& ive got about 5 cases of 300 series stream rotor hi-pops.

jerryrwm
12-05-2006, 05:25 PM
Ive got TWO cases at my shop today i noticed of 1550 shrub heads with the purple effluent tops if anyone wants to buy them.

& ive got about 5 cases of 300 series stream rotor hi-pops.
Talk about some dead inventory. Donate them to PBS auction and at least you can write some of it off.

Mjtrole
12-05-2006, 06:30 PM
I can throw a Toro V-1550 very far.

That's funny I can't throw them far enough.

Funny thing about toro troubles.. when I broke into irrigation back in the late
80's they came out with this huge controller for sports complexes and had all these lights and switches on it, well the funny thing was it would just turn on at all different times for no reason. After some years one of their reps went to work for a rainbird supplier and he said they knew about the problem but had to deny it and eventually discontinued it.

Fast forward to a few years back when all of their valves were molded wrong and again the reps denied it for a long time, we are still replacing them.

Moral of this story you ask? if you ever see me installing a toro product, please shoot me !!

LCPullman
12-05-2006, 07:25 PM
Talking about problems with Toro, I winterized a system this year that had about 26 Toro valves, (wires attached directly to the solenoid/no wire connectors) and they were all leaking. All the valve boxes were full of water, and with the mainline pressurized with air, you could see bubbles pouring out from between the bonnet and the main body of the valve. I'm supposed to replace them next year, but I'll have to see if they are willing to pay my price, I noticed that all the Super 700s that failed were replaced with Orbits.

Wet_Boots
12-05-2006, 07:53 PM
Time and material. You might save time by preassembling manifolds, but for a job that will run well into four figures, you want to make certain you and the customer are on the same page.

PurpHaze
12-05-2006, 10:34 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again... Instead of developing their own good products they go out and buy up other companies and then screw up their products. And then those of us that have to work with their crap have our questions and complaints fall on deaf ears. I have personal experience with Irritrol and Eicon going this route with MANY problems.

After examining our new Hunter ACC controller and the ICR we've made the decision that all future new and/or replacement controllers will be ACCs. That cuts out Irritrol and Eicon from the equation.

Now... if only someone at Hunter could develop an Institutional spray pop-up sprinkler that fits into a Toro 570 body I'd be a VERY happy camper. :)