PDA

View Full Version : Shindaiwa T230 trimmer vs Honda Trimmers

joed
06-24-2001, 05:19 PM
I'm in the market for a new trimmer. My choices are narrowed down to the Shindaiwa T230 and the Honda 4 stroke trimmer. I've heard nothing but good news about Shindaiwa. However, the fuel efficiency of the Honda 4 stroke is very appealing. The only drawback is the weight. Up unitl now, I've used only Stihl. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks.

Keith
06-24-2001, 05:24 PM
For me a lighter machine outweights fuel efficiency, thats why we went with the 230 over say a bigger Shindaiwa. I have no complaints with them.

hobbes
06-24-2001, 05:55 PM
Joed,
Where are you getting your stuff. I've only seen Echo, Sthil, Honda, and a few Kaw's around here. Never a Shindy. The only JD's I've seen were at WE Enterprises.
Lighter is better if you're going to spend any time on it and if you're worried about fuel efficiency on a trimmer it sounds like you will be.

joed
06-24-2001, 09:28 PM
Hobbes,

Shindaiwa trimmers are available at Luke Mowers, W.E. Enterprises and Kooy Bros. My research on the web seems to indicate that they are a good make. Do you know anyone who uses the Honda trimmers? By the way, if you're interested in JD stuff, go to W.E. or Halton Grounds Care in Milton. They are a huge J.D. dealership and have everything from tractors, zero turn mowers, walk behinds, trimmers etc.

tralfaz
06-24-2001, 11:59 PM
I have a Shindaiwa 230X. It's light but sometimes lacks power. I know the Hondas seem very heavy. My favorite right now is the Kawasaki KBL26A. It is much lighter than my Shindaiwa T25's and doesn't feel much heavier than the 230. Besides, they have a deal now if you trade in a trimmer(I reckon any kind), you get $60 off.

LJ lawn
06-25-2001, 12:16 AM
buy the shindawa -you'll be glad you did. they were on sale nation wide for $250.

gogetter
06-25-2001, 12:24 AM
I just bought a second Shindaiwa T230 this past week and they were still on sale for $250. I love mine! Haven't had any power problems myself.
Haven't used the Hondas so I can't speak on them.

Toroguy
06-25-2001, 01:50 AM
I am happy with my T-230.

I have killed one snake with it. I painted a snake "icon" on the side if it to intimidate other reptiles from messing with me and my T!

Any PETA members:

I cried when the snake died.

hobbes
06-25-2001, 02:29 AM
Joed,
I know this is off topic but you were looking for an inexpensive altenative to a 21. If you go to WE Enterprises, ask for Shawn Smith, ask him for a used Troy-Bilt 33. I traded one last month when I bought my 36 Exmark TTHP. E-mail me nconnelly@sympatico.ca if you're interested in this machine and I'll tell him to give it to you for $450. I paid 2K and used it mabe 10 hrs. It doesn't compare to the Exmark, but if you can't spend on the 36WB it will save you some time over a 21 in mulching season.

Lawnshark
06-25-2001, 10:32 AM
We use the Shindaiwa T230X. We have used them for little over two years now and they are great! The difference between the 230 and the 230X is that you can take the head off of the 230X and use a brush blade or other accessories. To be honest I have never used a Honda trimmer but the T230X is very light and powerful. Hope this helps.

joed
06-25-2001, 09:17 PM
Hobbes,
I sent you an e-mail regarding your Troy Built machine. Hope you get it.

Joe

toffees3
07-25-2001, 12:21 AM
I have a shindiawa t260. It is a little heavy but the extra power is well worth it. I have never had any troubles. It starts right up fist pull year after year.

Hoosier Mower
07-25-2001, 12:48 AM
Personally I'd rather have a Echo than any other trimmer, they run forever and I've never had to pull mine more than twice to get it too start. Plus they're very light weight. Just my two cents oh.

ajy
05-23-2002, 12:56 AM
i have a t230x and it has trouble starting. if it sits for about five min i have to choke it and then pull it for three to four times before it starts. i think this is a little unusual for a shin. i change the plugs but no difference, there are no adjustments on the carb so i can't mess with that. what's the problem?

Scag48
05-23-2002, 02:02 AM
Shindaiwa over Honda because of weight. I picked up a Honda trimmer thought I was gonna loose my arms! Too heavy for me. About 14 lbs. or more? Shindy or Honda, but Stihl over them all! :cool:

Turf Dancer
05-23-2002, 02:42 AM
I buy most of my Machines from a dealer 210 miles from me. This dealer sells Stihl, Honda,Echo and Shindaiwa Trimmers. They sell a lot of shindaiwa trimmers.
The Shindaiwa is 10.2 lbs And a 2 stroke .

The Honda is 13.9 lbs and a true 4 stroke, no 2 stroke mix !

Shindaiwa now makes a so called 4 stroke but it still requires a 2 stroke fuel mix model T2500 weighs 11.3 lbs

My dealer just told me the other day that stihl will have a 4 stroke similar to the shindaiwa very soon (summer) not in their current catalog.

I would go with the Honda I have both the UMK 422 and the UMK431 . They were heavy the first two days then after that I could not notice the difference. They are well balanced and a solid machine. Besides that I only have to fill them up once during the day. Unlike my stihls which I had to fill up 3-4 times during the day. A good dealer will sell you a Honda for under $329 well worth the $ Good Luck on your choice