PDA

View Full Version : JRCO Transporter for bagged clippings.

hobbes
06-24-2001, 05:15 PM
Thinking of buying a JRCO transporter with the 56 gallon tub to dump bagged clippings in as we cut. When the tub fills the plan would be to run the mower to the trailer and dump the clippings at the front of the trailer. Right now we dump clippings on a tarp and haul them. Does anyone do this? Does it sound like a time saver?
Please no mulch or doubles suggestions, sometimes we have to bag.

summitgroundskeeping
06-24-2001, 05:25 PM
When we have to bag, we put the clippings in our truck's bed. At the end of the day we unhook the trailer and dump the clippings. Doesn't putting the clippings on the trailer waste a ton of space? That's why I decided not to do it.

mdb landscaping
06-24-2001, 05:36 PM
it sounds like a good idea, but what about when the tub is almost full. maybe you should think about how tough it would be to mow with it full. also, instead of dumping the clippings in the trailer, why dont you dump them on the tarp and put them in the truck. i have the jrco de thatcher and leaf plow and both are designed real well so i dont think you could go wrong with the tub. i was thinking about one for mulching. kind of using it as a wheel barrow.

hobbes
06-24-2001, 05:50 PM
mdb,
If we dump them at the front of the trailer with the JRCO, I can make room on the days we have to bag, it's a one man operation, the tub seems to have a dumping mechanism. If we dump clippings from JRCO to tarp to truck bed, it kinda defeats the purpose. Getting that tarp full of wet clippings into the truck bed, especially when there's allready a load in there, is a two man job & and a pain in the ass. You're right about the cutting ability with a full tub sitting on top, not sure how it would be.

mdb landscaping
06-24-2001, 06:29 PM
yeh, youre right. i didnt realize you were working by yourself.

hobbes
06-24-2001, 06:39 PM
I'm not. Just trying to save some manpower.

Comet
06-24-2001, 06:43 PM
Why did you ever have to haul the clippings in the 1st place on a tarp? I didnt understand that. Did you mean dragging them on a tarp?

hobbes
06-24-2001, 06:46 PM
yes.Dragging to truck. We sometimes get 4-5 bags out of a back lawn.

Comet
06-24-2001, 06:57 PM
Ok
Im not familiar with that transporter, Ill watch this thread and learn.
Me myself I dont like placing anything on my trailer other then equipment. I experienced too many situations with clipping/leaves blowing around while in transit;
Id rather use the green buckets over a tarp myself seems
Whats the transporter go for?

mdb landscaping
06-24-2001, 07:00 PM
http://www.rittenhouse.ca/asp/Product.asp?PG=428

hobbes
06-24-2001, 07:02 PM
rittenhouse.ca/asp/Product.asp?PG=428

http://rittenhouse.ca/
Follow Landscape&prop management link

Runner
06-24-2001, 09:25 PM
For the 300 bucks, I think I'd come up with a different option. Someone had a really good idea about this just about a month or so ago - maybe two. I can't remember what they said they were going to use though. I DO rember them saying they would strap it down with bungee straps, though. With the height of that JRCO thing, you could even see where you were going with things in front of you. There's got to be a cheaper way, for how simple THIS thing is. I have the JRCO tine rake dethatcher and the blower buggy as well, and these products work really well and are very well built, so it MAY be practical for you. Personally, if I ever have to pick up anything, I just use a tarp (or two). Many of times, I just pull it back to the truck using the mower. Faster, and much less fatigue. If I happen to overload the tarp when working by myself, to where I cant lift it, I just use a pitchfork to empty a bulk of it, THEN lift it into the truck to dump it. I TRY not to overload it, though. Work smart not hard is what my dad always says. No sense in killing yourself.;)

LJ lawn
06-24-2001, 11:23 PM
why don't you build a ramp from the bed of the truck over the trailer and just drive the mower up the trailer and into the bed of the truck and dump? or maybe buy one of those truck bed mounted crank winch lifts that swing out,hook it to the bucket and lift it into the bed.if you don't take that much grass away all the time why not just put it in big garbage bags?

MOW ED
06-25-2001, 08:07 AM
I know this doesn't help you much but I have to brag a little about how I handle clippings when I have to. You would be amazed how much I can put in there.

Runner
06-25-2001, 09:30 AM
Mow Ed,
Now, THAT'S pretty slick! Where's your jackcrank though?

Eric ELM
06-25-2001, 09:43 AM
Hey Ed, don't forget to hook up your lights. I see the plug laying on the ground. :)

Looks like a good idea. ;)

hobbes
06-25-2001, 09:57 AM
Mow-ed
Good solution but that would cost me a bit more than $300 & I couldn't use that Walker on most of our props.

Scag48
06-25-2001, 04:07 PM
MowEd has the best idea so far. Anyone ever seen those rolling tarp things you can put in the back of trucks? They have a crank at the end of the bed and you turn it and the tarp rolls, therefore all your load that is on the tarp falls easily right out of the back of your truck. Just do like MowEd and make a ramp up to the bed. Drive up, dump, then take off mowing.

hobbes
06-25-2001, 05:51 PM
The ramp looks good for getting clippings in the truck. What I'm wondering is if this JRCO attachment is any good for dumping clippings in while cutting. We sometimes get 3-4, 3 bushel bags out of a back lawn, too time consuming to run the WB to the truck everytime bag fills, so now we dump them on a tarp.

LJ lawn
06-25-2001, 09:19 PM
why not fabricate a bracket to just hold down a green barrel or a 40 gal rubbermaid (the big grey ones)onto the top of the mower deck? you might be able to buy the bottom of the barrel support for the rubbermaid right from track-vac,then fab it onto your walk behind.i can't see that piece costing more than $150 .$35 for the can at home depot.go to the track-vac website and see what i'm talking about.you'll need the hinged piece the barrel fits into.

Jim White
06-25-2001, 10:02 PM
I had a somewhat similar problem several years ago. I too am a one man operation and I have alot of properties that need to be bagged. It took several years to solve this problem through new equipment investments, but now Ive got it pretty $%@$ good. I have a bobcat ZTR with a PECO vac system. The PECO holds 12 cubic feet of material and can be dumped just like the walker. (thats alot of stuff) That was the first part. The second part to the solution was getting a low riding hydralic dump trailer. The trimpers and edgers are attached to the outside of the trailer, and the only thing that goes in the trailer beside grass and leaves is the ZTR. Any small stuff that I need to carry goes and stays in the back of the pick-up. Now the best part is when I need to unload. All I have to do at the landfill is drop the gate and drive the ZTR off and over to side (30 seconds) then put the gate back -up and reverse the hinge locks and dump. There no need to undo the trailer. For fall clean-ups of leaves, (which we get alot of up here) There isn't even the need for a leaf loader. I just blow the leaves in piles, then drive the bobcat (with doubles all the time on it) into the piles and make leafdust, which I then dump right into the trailer. As far a being a time saver and a back saver I have several fall clean-ups that would average 5-6 hours with a helper lugging tarps of leaves to the front to put them in the truck. Now I can do the same accounts by myself in 3 hours without hardly breaking a sweat.

hobbes
06-27-2001, 12:48 AM
Jim White,
What is the advantage of a hydraulic dump trailer for dumping clippings &leaves? We use a manual dump for this purpose, pull one pin, dump. How much weight are you dumping?
The bags on the WB's, we can't use Z's on our props, call for frequent emptying in thick turf. Still looking for a solution to lugging tarps.

Jim White
06-27-2001, 01:04 AM
It sounds like you miss seriously understood me. The hydralic dump is on my ROAD WORTHY trailer that I pull with my truck not a trailer I pull with my ZTR. But seeing as your limited to walk behinds to do biz. you should consider a trac-vac unit. The capcity is the same as putting a JRCO hopper on your WB except you won't have to stop and unload as often. I know several LCO's that use these and none of them have complaned about the extra weight. What make of WB are you using?

hobbes
06-27-2001, 01:22 AM
Exmark & Toro hydro floaters,
I didn't think the hydraulic trailer was being pulled by your Z. I use a maual dump road worthy trailer hitched to the truck for clippings&leaves. Don't understand the necessity of hydraulics for the weight of clippings&leaves. Looking at a Hi-Way Dump "E" dump body for the truck bed. Any input on Hi-Way?
The trac-vac would be good for clean-ups but I'm talking about bagged grass clippings on weekly cuts.