PDA

View Full Version : My weird question

summitgroundskeeping
06-24-2001, 05:46 PM
All this talk about stiping and checker patterns got me thinking. Have any of you guys had a client ask to not see a line from tires, stipes from a striping kit, and not a single mark in their lawn as a result from mowing? If so what did you tell them? I wouldn't know how to do it, and I wouldn't because I love my checked patterns.:confused:

mdb landscaping
06-24-2001, 06:32 PM
ive never had it happen, but if it did id tell them they must be on crack. i dont think there really is a way to mow a lawn without stripes. if you mow only in one direction all the clippings would gather in one spot and look worse. id drop em.

WILSON BROS.
06-24-2001, 07:27 PM
I have. I bought my first ztr about 10 yrs ago. It wasn't much but it laid down nice stripes. Recieved several nice comments from the customers. Then I started mowing for two old women. (different yards) One told me that my mower was mowing crooked and couldnt figure out what the different colored grass was doing there if it wasn't. Her husband had mowed that lawn for forty years and it never had two colors of grass in it. (Lost that contract, I refused to mow in a circle.) Next old woman same story except for the fact she told me that her Swisher mower did a better job. I kept her for a couple of years and figured out the deal. I was mowing her yard to quickly to do a good job. Regaurdless of what it looked like I couldn't be doing a good job going that fast. By the way my mower was not mowing crooked.

MJ
06-24-2001, 07:52 PM
When I found this site last year, I showed my wife the picture of stripes and asked her how she like it. She didn't. She wants a lawn with uniform color and look.

Do you mean that if the customer doesn't want it done your way, you'd drop them? Whose lawn is it?

Evan528
06-24-2001, 08:01 PM
I actually lost a customer last year due to my stripes! He now is cutting it himself again in circles with his toro push mower. I have a current customer who has mentioned his dislike of the stripes my mowers leave for years......I have found that the only people who dont like the stripes are older men who cut the lawn themselved for 50 years and "know how a lawn is to be cut".

SLS
06-24-2001, 08:07 PM
I've had one client (out of 27) comment on how she didn't care for the "two-toned look".

I busted out laughing! :D

"No problem" I said...and now I cut her yard in the old square pattern.

She is happy...and I get paid weekly.

The majority of my other clients really appreciate the "striped" look...
...they equate it with the "fancy" lawns in the very affluent areas in town.

Yesterday a lady client told me that some people at her church asked her how much extra does it cost to have the lawn look like that. (striped).

:D

hobbes
06-24-2001, 09:12 PM
No offence to any of you stripers but we cut over 150 residentials a week & stripe none of them. No one ever asked us to and all our business is word of mouth.

KirbysLawn
06-24-2001, 09:35 PM
Oh boy, here we go again. Can someone please explain how it's possible to mow a tall growing grass such as fescue and not leave a stripe pattern and still mow with efficiency?

I go one way and turn around, when I go the other direction the stripe is there, I can't seem to get rid of the d*** thing, it follows me everywhere! SOMEONE please explain.

hobbes
06-24-2001, 09:41 PM
Get rid of anything that pushes grass down, chains, trim the back flaps. There is very little color differece if you do this.

KirbysLawn
06-24-2001, 09:49 PM
Sorry that did not help. My mowers have no chains, push down flaps, or anything else, just the deck. Both are Great Danes, one a Scamper & the other is a Chariot, totally stock.

The tires are the last thing on the mower and seem to also leave stripes, how do I get rid of them? Here is a photo with no add on striping kits, any other ideas?

http://www.unionturf.com/Emerald%20lake%202.JPG

hobbes
06-24-2001, 09:59 PM
get a hover.
Any z's going to leave some kind of stripe because of the weight. We use mostly 36 WB's, occasionally (rarely) a 48, and 21's on smaller res. Trimmed all the flaps, alternate patterns, doesn't leave a stripe. I'll admit when we use the 48 I have to worry more about getting the lines perfect.

KirbysLawn
06-24-2001, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by hobbes
get a hover.

I'll pass. Just making a point, no offence, but I really am puzzled when people discuss striping as if it was "bad" but then can offer no explanation of how to avoid them. Thanks anyway.

hobbes
06-24-2001, 10:09 PM
Kirby,
Not saying it's bad, just not practical in the tight confines of our residential properties. When I get a cam I'll post some pics of res props cut with a 36 that have a uniform color.

thelawnguy
06-24-2001, 10:10 PM
The vacuum action of the blades will leave a stripe.

Even a 21 inch push Murray mower will leave a stripe and/or tire marks.

Tell the whining customer to wait a few days the marks will disappear (just in time for the next cut lol).

hobbes
06-24-2001, 10:18 PM
Lawnguy,
Trim the flap on your Murray,:D You might be surprised.

KirbysLawn
06-25-2001, 03:48 AM
Hobbes, you are not by chance "Jones" or "Casey" are you? Sounds the same, same IP address, and Jones quit posting on 6/16/01, the day you started. If so please pick a screen name and stick to it.

Thanks!

HOMER
06-25-2001, 06:36 AM
Kirby,

Move farther south and the problem seems to disappear on its own!

Guido
06-25-2001, 04:18 PM
All I can do is Laugh!!!!

This place is getting way out of hand with this crap lately and its from a small group of people. I hope the trend ends quickly!

;) I need a beer now!

I never thought stripes were such a big deal until the last couple of months around here like no one has ever seen them. Like Ray said, they just follow you!!! I cut with 16' Batwing mowers that leave stripes on our airfields!! Its just there!

The thing I remeber being the big deal was which pattern to use on the lawn, not" Should I stripe this one or not!

Of course no customer is going to ask for it!

Hobbes,(Jones/Casey) Whatever you go by, I'm asking you to please chill out some around here. Try to learn a little instead of being so ignorant in your ways.

Ray and I have asked a few times in a few different threads to show us how NOT to stripe! We're open to different views, just seems you just want to argue.

I'm done, I'm tired! I'm going to go stripe the frosting on the cake my wife just made...... as a matter of fact, I might do the almighty checkerboard!

Scag48
06-25-2001, 04:33 PM
Ray and Guido have made good points, THE STRIPES JUST FOLLOW YOU! Ever go out and pull a homeowner and take a Crapsman to go mow a lawn and figure just go around in circles? Well, if you do that, it will STILL stripe. You'll have to big ones. Can't stop it. My Toro 21" is completely stock and it has that back flap on there that doesn't have the striping very much at all and I have the best stripes in town by far with that mower. I gotta work on getting a striping kit for the Groundsmaster though. Just might be the grass I'm mowing with it 'cuz it doesn't stripe very good on parts of my 2 acre job. Other parts it does pretty good. I'll try to get some pics on here of it's stripes.

Grassman
06-25-2001, 06:07 PM
Heck, I wish we could stripe and make some of those beautiful patterns you northern guys do. I've tried but it does'nt last longer than a day or two in St. Augustine or Bahia. Alot of people down here think you've done something strange to their lawn because it's uncommon. Russ

Charles
06-25-2001, 06:37 PM
My Lazer never stripes and the yards look great. No one has ever ask for stripes. Never had a negative comment on the looks. Any tire marks are faint and miniscule. I have had the old gizmos tell me that they are impressed about the lack of tire marks

CSRA Landscaping
06-25-2001, 06:52 PM
Seems like I remember Eric posting in a previous thread that his tires exert very little pressure due to the surface area they have. Wonder if that may contribute to the possible desired effect of no stripes? I think the type of grass makes a difference as well, for example, you don't stripe St. Augustine, you just can't.

Casey, I knew you'd give yourself away! From the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks!
:D

hobbes
06-25-2001, 10:54 PM
Anyone from Toronto correct me if I'm wrong.
I believe most of our residential turf is 15% Annual Rygrass-25%Kentucky Bluegrass-60% Creeping Red Fescue. Those % vary maily with less Fescue.
If you drive down any residential street in Southern Etobicoke, you will rarely if ever see a striped lawn. Never with much definition, if it is striped. All lawns maintain a uniform color even 1 day after cutting. It must be the type of turf because, believe it or not, striping is not an issue here.

rdh
06-25-2001, 11:48 PM
the carpet in my house even has stripes.

sleona
06-28-2001, 05:02 PM
Anyone ever striped a Bermudagrass lawn? I figure one of the finer bladed varieties might show stripes better than the common variety, or St. Augustine.

summitgroundskeeping
06-28-2001, 08:27 PM
My question was if you guys ever had anyone ask you not to leave a tire mark or stripe in their lawn as a result of mowing? If someone asked me I wouldn't do it because I wouldn't know how to do it.

Rick C.
06-28-2001, 09:13 PM
I use an x-mark turf tracer it leves no lines most of the time marks. I had One customer ask me to go back to my smaller Honda mower because she missed the lines, can't please everyone.