PDA

View Full Version : DC oil filter

YardMaster Unlimited
06-24-2001, 06:11 PM
Me and a friend recently got a steal on a used dc to use between both of our companys. We don't have a dealer here in town but when our mechanic went to a dealer to get some parts they said that the oil filter for the dc was $70.00, and the dealer said you can't get it from anywhere else other than dc. Is this what everybody else is paying for this filter. This could get very expensive. From what I understand this is an amsoil filter. We've tried to gross reference it to another brand but it comes out as the small kohler filter. Need some help from you dc lovers out there. Must say we bought it for a rough cut mower and have been quite impressed in the few days that we
've used it.

Eric ELM
06-24-2001, 06:37 PM
If you have a stainless steel Chopper, it has 4 oil filters on it and on the high end, it might be $70 for all 4. One is a regular Kohler Oil filter on the motor about $6.00 and you change this one every 100 hours. The next one is an Amsoil Bypass Filter that could be bought from a DC dealer, or Amsoil and probably other places. That one is around $18 from Amsoil if you have an account with them and about $30 from a DC dealer. The other 2 are the hydraulic oil filters that are different than most filters. If I remember right, it works just opposite of normal oil filters, one type pushes the oil through and one pulls the oil through. Anyways, these 2 are around $15 each, but they don't need to be changed but once every 500 or 600 hours. The Amsoil bypass filter should last close to 600 to 1000, depending on how dirty of the conditions that you work in. This filter, filters out the small dirt after the regular Kohler filter has done it's job. The Kohler I think filters dirt out down to 18 microns and the Amsoil bypass filter takes out particles down to 1 micron in size, so this is one reason you hear of Chopper motors lasting so long, like mine have.

If this doesn't explain what you wanted to know, let me know. :)

YardMaster Unlimited
06-24-2001, 09:01 PM
Eric,

Thanks for the info. This is a stainless chopper. It has the 22 horse kohler. From what the dc dealer told mine was that the one large filter was 70 bucks. I thought this sounded a little extreme, but that dealer hasn't sold very many and didn't have hardly any parts so he may have not been on top of his game. I had thought about converting this to a small block filter since it would only involve changing the adapter mount on the machine, but if it goes to 1 micron maybe we'll go ahead and order one and then just replace it like you were saying. I was hoping everybody didn't replace this filter every oil change, it would get quite expensive since I change oil in my machines every 50 hours. Thanks for the help:)

John DiMartino
06-24-2001, 09:22 PM
Do yourself a favor,get an amsoil commercial account setup-you can go to their website-then buy this filter for 18 bucks.I did,then run the amsoil in it too,the engine will last a lot longer ,and oil change intervals can be extended from 100-200 hrs easily withe the bypass filter.Kohler recommends 100 hrs with no external filtration,or cooling,with both and amsoil,you can easily double that,or go even further,but for how cheap oil is Id double it only.Your filter is a BE90.

weve
06-24-2001, 09:31 PM
The Amsoil BE-90 By-Pass Filter for DC can be ordered from the Amsoil website or your local Amsoil dealer. It lists at $26.95 plus shipping.
http://intershop.amsoil.com/cgi-bin/Amsoil.storefront

http://intershop.amsoil.com/cgi-bin/Amsoil.storefront/3b3691d40072dc46271cd1f0e3f006ff/Catalog/1214

YardMaster Unlimited
06-24-2001, 10:04 PM
Thanks to all for the info on this filter problem. These prices sound a lot better. I believe I'll go ahead and register with amsoil and order from them. May even see if they have filters for the other machines.

We only gave 1500.00 for this mower so we got a good deal and would like to keep it going for awhile. Mower is a beat up a little but it cleaned up pretty good. Lot cheaper than 6 to 10 grand for a mower to do our rough cutting.

Thanks for the help.

awm
06-25-2001, 08:06 AM
man dc takes filtering to a different level huh.
bet you have to take your shoes off when you walk in the owners house.:)

Richard Martin
06-25-2001, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by YardMaster Unlimited
Mower is a beat up a little but it cleaned up pretty good. Lot cheaper than 6 to 10 grand for a mower to do our rough cutting.

Why don't you sharpen the blades and use this mower to do your finish cutting? It works for me.

YardMaster Unlimited
06-25-2001, 10:29 PM
We went together and bought this mower just for rough cutting. Both of us have our finish mowers and really didn't like putting them on some of the rough stuff, plus I needed the mid mount to be able to do some of the slopes that I have to rough cut. I like my front deck but it ain't worth squat on some of the slopes I have to cut. Must say that the chopper is pretty awesome in the thick stuff. Been real impressed with it's ability on the hills.

TLS
06-25-2001, 10:55 PM
What are you using for your front mounts? A DC will blow away any other mower, except a Lazer, when it comes to fine finish cuts. Why dont you make your old front mounts the rough cutters and this DC your finish mower? The BE-90 from my dealer was $39.00 when it was in for the head gaskets, they changed the oil and both filters for free all I paid was parts.

David Gretzmier
06-26-2001, 12:11 AM
1500 bucks? stealing it is an understatement. I'll take 6 stainless choppers at that price if they're running and moving. dave g

Fine Lines Lawn
06-27-2001, 06:44 AM
Eric,
I obviously need a new source for my Amsoil filters. I just bought two from my dealer at $57.00 each. Checked price with another dealer, and it was about the same.

Eric ELM
06-27-2001, 05:34 PM
It sounds like they went up. I bought enough 2 years ago to last me awhile. The last I saw, they were about $18.00 at Amsoil and a little over $30.00 at my DC dealer. Weeve said their $26.95 at Amsoil now, so this doesn't sound good. :(

YardMaster Unlimited
06-27-2001, 10:42 PM
Dixie1-- I currently use my dixon 6025 front mount. Around here we have to bag a lot of the yards, since some people still don't like having them mulched. The problem with the front mounts is that they won't go up a hill like the mids.

Dave g -- We thought that was a pretty go deal to. This mower had been owned by a company that had went bankrupt and a fellow had got a lot of their trucks and equipment at an bankruptcy auction from what I understand.

edited by Eric ELM

David Gretzmier
06-27-2001, 11:13 PM
yard master- I am an amsoil dealer, but you can be too for 10 bucks a year. become a dealer, stock up on the oil ( it is better than mobil ) and filters, then get out if you don;t wanna pay 10 a year. Dave g

Fine Lines Lawn
06-27-2001, 11:33 PM
I think I would like more info on that :)

Eric ELM
06-27-2001, 11:47 PM
Bill, Here is the page you request info on this.
http://www.amsoil.com/dealerinfo.htm