PDA

View Full Version : Mulching w/ Honda 36" and 60"

proscaper
06-24-2001, 07:18 PM
I have a Honda 36" and a 60" that i just had mulching kits installed on. They don't seem to mulch well at all. I was wondering if anyone has used these machines for mulching? Also the mulching blades look like regular blades except they are curved different. Do I need the seratted blades or duals maybe? Any help would be appreciated.

1 1982 GMC 1 ton flatbed
1 1982 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 pickup
1 1978 GMC 1 ton dump
1 2000 6x10 trailer
1 1999 Honda 36" Commercial w/b
1 2000 Honda 60" Commercial w/b
2 1999 Honda 21"
2 Stihl BR400 Back packs
1 Stihl Handheld
2 Stihl FS85 Trimmers
1 Stihl Edger
1 Stihl hedge clipper
Various stihl attachments
I will get pictures soon

KirbysLawn
06-25-2001, 05:03 AM
I don't think everyone is avoiding you, it's just not many use those mowers. I looked at them and figured quickly it took superhuman strength to squeeze the handles. As much as I love Honda equipment I do not like their commercial mowers. Hope someone can answer your questions...

Ray

Redmowers
06-25-2001, 10:16 AM
I was thinking about a mulching kit for my Honda 48" but running double blades seems to eliminate the want for the mulching kit.I have high lift low lift and Gator blades different combinations for different times of the year work for me.Do you have a collector bag for your Hondas? I may get an accellerator for mine before fall.

proscaper
06-25-2001, 01:50 PM
I do have baggers for both but I just went to mulching because I am tired of bagging. These mowers give an excellent cut though but I am having trouble finding good mulching blades for them.

Richard Martin
06-25-2001, 10:05 PM
You can try Exmark's mulching blades. I have them for my 36 and the couple of times I mulched grass they did an excellant job of mulching grass.

lawnMaster5000
06-26-2001, 02:06 AM
well i have never tried the mulching kits on hondas but i didnt really even know that they sold one. I have used all hondas from 36" - 52" and love them all. I would have to say taht the 48 would be way underpowerd to mulch but the 36 shouldnt be too bad. I use double blades on my 52 and have the 20hp. I have no problems except for clumping in wet grass. try the advice about using gators they have worked great where i have seen them used. If you want to maintain striping then use gator higlift in a double blade arrangement.

what a bummer that they have discontinued all honda pro mowers. I think i am going to buy the last 60" in the midwest here in a couple of days, my dealer had a huge run when we (stl lawn companies) heard honda was out.

good luck

lawnMaster5000
06-26-2001, 02:11 AM
while there are honda people talking i have another question.

HOW can you speed up the mower w/o loosing your reverse speed.

I have seen it done up to about 8mph hour yet i have no clue how its done. Please help

thanks

Redmowers
06-26-2001, 08:29 AM
I get my mulching blades through www.mowmore.com and order blades for a Bunton V-deck,I was told that they made it for Honda.They have low lift high lift and mulching blades avaiable for 36" 48" 52" and 61".Any tried the snow blower or broom attachment for their power unit?year around use.How about the sit down sulkey nice unit but $900.00 !

proscaper
06-26-2001, 01:43 PM
I have never used the sit down sulky but I use the velke and am happy with it. I have the broom attachment for my stihl and is works awesome. I works real well for cleaning up bark, topsoil, pea gravel and allot of others. Try it out guys.

Redmowers
06-26-2001, 04:32 PM
Sorry about the missunderstanding I meant taking off the mower and bolting on the optional snowblower or broom attacments on the Honda.I may purchase the snowblower before winter.

lawnMaster5000
06-27-2001, 02:10 AM
thought about the brom but we dont get enough snow here in stl, mo.

if i knew we were going to be getting alot i would prob get the broom.
I have seen it on other types of mower and it works great

Ill let ya try it out and do a report, i just am not paying, good luck

Redmowers
06-27-2001, 09:10 AM
Lawnmaster
When I put doubles on I got the 1/4"blade spacers to compensate for the second blade.I found with the regular spacers I had to has the mower height,plus the blades were too low.What did you do on yours with doubles ?
Proscaper
Are your bags Honda equip or after market?

Redmowers
06-27-2001, 09:17 AM
Proscaper
Does your Velke ever jacknife or have a problem zero turning or backing up ? I was looking into the one with two casters but I like the single wheel set up seems to be lower,I'm 6' tall !Toro has a nice set up,both feet are independent could be an advantage I think.

proscaper
06-27-2001, 12:30 PM
It does jacknife when backing up occasionally but once you learn how to turn with it it works fine. I just got the dual wheels also and I like them better. They have a smoother ride.