PDA

View Full Version : Sirens, Horns, Grill mount strobes?

Signature Landscaping1
12-06-2006, 09:05 PM
I was wondering if having a siren in you truck is illegal. I just got out of the biz. I now drive a 02' Ford Explorer. I want to deck it out, I already have ordered a new gibson dual exhaust for it. I have a cb radio and police scanner built in. I was thinking about getting a combo siren/horns/pa system in my explorer. I wouldnt be using the siren, but is it ok to have in my suv?
Also someone was telling me it is illegal to have clear strobes in the headlights, and grill mounted strobes. I was thinking of getting amber's.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Signature Landscaping1
12-06-2006, 09:32 PM
Anyone?.......

tthomass
12-06-2006, 09:41 PM
Depends on your state...........here the strobes are illegal/improper equip. Nobody really gets bothered though because the ones using them are construction crews on the sides of roads and its just viewed as more of a safety thing though it is illegal.

Here things like that and the pa system etc.......considered to be intended for off road use only.

Just call your local popo.

carcrz
12-06-2006, 09:45 PM
If using on roadways, you have to have "Emergency Vehicle" on it somewhere or someother gvmt agency. It is also required to have sirens on when driving w/ lights going. I also do HAZMAT response so I get to play w/ the lights & sirens sometimes. Way too fun IMO!

Signature Landscaping1
12-06-2006, 09:58 PM
Depends on your state...........here the strobes are illegal/improper equip. Nobody really gets bothered though because the ones using them are construction crews on the sides of roads and its just viewed as more of a safety thing though it is illegal.

Here things like that and the pa system etc.......considered to be intended for off road use only.

Just call your local popo.

Yea i used to have a megaphone until a few days ago. That thing was fun. I was just thinking maybe a dashmount double amber strobe and thats it.

dcondon
12-06-2006, 10:00 PM
I was wondering if having a siren in you truck is illegal. I just got out of the biz. I now drive a 02' Ford Explorer. I want to deck it out, I already have ordered a new gibson dual exhaust for it. I have a cb radio and police scanner built in. I was thinking about getting a combo siren/horns/pa system in my explorer. I wouldnt be using the siren, but is it ok to have in my suv?
Also someone was telling me it is illegal to have clear strobes in the headlights, and grill mounted strobes. I was thinking of getting amber's.

NO it is not ok to have a siren in a private vehicle unless you are a emergency personal.

GravelyGuy
12-06-2006, 10:13 PM
Like they said above, I always see the contruction guys around here with white strobes in there headlights.

I bet the fine for that stuff is pretty salty, be careful.

Albemarle Lawn
12-06-2006, 11:04 PM
You could get sirens, etc, and put your Environmental Police emblem on a huge magnet on your door.

Then if you see a hot chick, I mean stank hot, driving around, you could pull her over for STANKING up the environment, then bathe her.

Boycea
12-06-2006, 11:39 PM
Its ok to have the amber strobes in massachusetts. You need a permit for blue or red which unless your a first responder (police, fire, etc) you cant get. the permit is issued by the state after a paperwork process by your local police or fire department. PA systems are legal but you have to use discretion with them. Theirs no reason you need a siren so I wouldn't bother with it, its only going to get you in trouble. Theirs no reason you need any of that stuff since you are not using the vehicle for work. It may look cool but it will probably only end up getting you in trouble.

Scag48
12-07-2006, 01:42 AM
Trying to figure out why you'd want strobes on an Explorer or a PA system. Whatever floats your boat though. Most states require a permit for white (clear), blue, or red strobes.

hoskm01
12-07-2006, 04:24 AM
It sounds like you dont really need any of it. Getting caught with that scanner going in the vehicle will add another offense to your list of infractions in most states also.

Josh.S
12-07-2006, 10:24 AM
It sounds like you dont really need any of it. Getting caught with that scanner going in the vehicle will add another offense to your list of infractions in most states also.

Scanners are legal here, although I don't know why you would want that stuff to start with, but everything vary's by state...

John Gamba
12-07-2006, 10:38 AM

If you where the police? You know you cannot do what you want to do??

BMFD92
12-07-2006, 11:01 AM
strobes and sirens are for emergency personal and businesses only. There not a toy to make your car look cool. As a volunteer firefighter i have dual blue light in my dashboard and your only allowed to have a airhorn. Some don't even allow you to have strobes. If you get pulled over and a cop sees all the switches for your lights and the siren pack then you will get a hefty fine without the a proper id to show you are allowed to have the equipment in your car

Signature Landscaping1
12-07-2006, 01:24 PM
The scanner is legal here, ive had it for a few weeks. The reason for the strobes is mostly because i will be using my vehicle in my fathers company. But anyways, I have a double amber dash mount strobe and thats it. An air horn would be nice too.

Gatewayuser
12-09-2006, 01:07 PM
I have my f-350 with business lettering all decked out with 4 strobes rear and front, flashing headlights, LED red light bar in the rear window and red dash light in front. All of which my vehicle is certified for and it has stickers on the window per state law. I also have a electronic Q-siren, air horn and p.a. with a dynamax speaker. It will make you go deaf! But I am a voly FF and EMT. I don't even like running them because of the noise but I have no choice because I need to get to the FD in time. During the night when there is no traffic I won't use them at all. And I will only use them in the day if it is truly necessary.

MowJoeLandscaping
12-09-2006, 02:39 PM
strobes sure, siren against the law, only fire chiefs and emergency vehicles allowed to have sirens. Sounds a little cheesy! imo

AndyTblc
12-09-2006, 03:31 PM
I know in michigan, if you aren't a FF or EMT, or other things that require different lights, you can't have. Green=command center, Purple=Hurse. Red=Fire, Blue=Police, But yellow you can have. You can use it when ever and where ever your heart desiers. No limitations on yellow(amber). You can't have sirens, but you can have the musical horns, like the ones that play the dixie song or what ever, that has a PA in it.

Eclipse
12-09-2006, 04:54 PM
Green=command center, Purple=Hurse. Red=Fire, Blue=Police, But yellow you can have. You can use it when ever and where ever your heart desiers. No limitations on yellow(amber).

This is not entirely accurate for Michigan. Last I checked green was not mentioned in the state law and you cannot use amber when ever and where ever you want.

I will try to dig up a copy of the Michigan law.

For those in Michigan who are interested here is a copy of the Michigan law. If you do not fit somewhere on this list you are not supposed to have any lighting, of any color, on your vehicle.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/aftermarket_lighting_8570_7.pdf

AndyTblc
12-09-2006, 05:43 PM
That came DIRECTLY from our citys police chief. I asked hiim that and he said all that stuff, and about the amber. He said that he will even buy me an amber flasher.

Eclipse
12-09-2006, 05:53 PM
That came DIRECTLY from our citys police chief. I asked hiim that and he said all that stuff, and about the amber. He said that he will even buy me an amber flasher.

According to the MSP link I provided it appears that gentleman may not be well versed on the Michigan laws applicable to emergency lighting. Or maybe the MSP link need updating?

Regardless I do not think many law enforcement agencies know all the specifics of the law nor enforce it to the "T".

murray83
12-16-2006, 09:09 AM
Ugh god why must people keep buying and asking this crap for their trucks? If you actually do need a safety light just buy a mini light bar and be done with it.

Strobes in your headlights,tail lights,roof clearance lights,in your rear view mirror or whatever,they look foolish! good god your landscapers and do snowplowing your not state troopers you make your work trucks look like a joke.

Emergency vehicles and tow trucks should be THE ONLY vehicles to be legally allowed to install these items.