PDA

View Full Version : baffled about baffles

rdh
06-24-2001, 11:19 PM
my chariot has the baffles on the front of the deck.and it makes the
grass go from one chamber to the next till its discharged.this to me seems like it would be better without them as far as cutting you could go faster in taller grass and not have to slow down and the deck wouldnt clog up as much.
i have looked at the toro decks and the walker discharge decks and they dont have the baffles. i know toros cut great even fast in wet grass the ex mark and choppers i dont know about do they have the baffles ? how about other mowers?

Premo Services
06-25-2001, 12:18 AM
my eXmark lazer and turf tracer both have the baffles.They seem to cut pretty well:D

EJK2352
06-25-2001, 12:21 AM
rdh,
My past employer bought an eXmark Lazer Z the first year they were
built. This early Lazer has a baffle in front like all Lazers do
except this early units baffle is bolted on & newer models are welded
in. I unbolted & removed the baffle thinking like you are that it
would discharge that tall thick grass better. Boy was I wrong it
didn't throw clippings half as far as it did with the baffle in and
it had a ton of front deck blow-out. I'd keep the baffle on your
mower. I asked an eXmark factory rep. about the front baffle and
he said it was designed to reduce front blow-out and increase amount
of air flow toward the discharge chute. ED

rdh
06-25-2001, 01:05 AM
thanks ed glad i got to here from some one that took theres off.

David Haggerty
06-25-2001, 07:57 AM
I've actually welded baffles into a mower that was built without 'em. It was supposed to be some kind of mulching/drop mower, designed in Kansas. Didn't work on kentucky blue. These new baffels actually increase the capacity 'cause it shoots the grass out instead of balling it up under the deck. The clipping dispersal pattern is a lot better too. I just mowed a hay field with it that I couldn't have done without the baffles.
Sorry I don't have pictures, got to get one of those digital cameras.
Dave

rdh
06-25-2001, 11:56 PM
i had a 36"snapper fixed deck .it didnt have baffles either cut good and never cloged .does the new scag deck have baffles? any more mowers?

hobbes
06-26-2001, 12:50 AM
If you're cutting thick turf go with the Toro SFS deck. No baffles. Designed to keep the clippings from passing from one chamber to the next. During the growing season or when turf is wet we use the Toro. Much less clumping than the Baffled Exmark. Despite what Exmark says their deck sucks in thick wet turf compared to the Toro. Their baffles may increase air flow to the discharge but by passing from one chamber to the next they also increase clumping.