PDA

View Full Version : Dump Trailer Question

GSORK
12-07-2006, 01:10 AM
I'm looking for a 10-12k dump trailer.

My question is which is a better lift system, scissor or piston?

I'm thinking of renting this trailer out.Does anyone do this or rent from someone? I'd like some feedback on my possible business venture.

Thanks Gary

Mr. Vern
12-07-2006, 01:51 AM
I went with scissor lifts due to the increased dump angle. It's much easier to get sticky loads out if the bed goes closer to vertical.
As for renting, my advice is don't do it. I don't hesitate to loan my equipment to people I know and trust, but nothing of my gets rented unless my operator goes with it. The reason for this is that renters don't care how they treat equipment and they will do things you or your close friends wouldn't. Also, if you are doing installs, you will find that you use the trailer almost everyday it seems and so there won't be any opportunity to rent it.

Scag48
12-07-2006, 02:49 AM
We have a scissor hoist, works well. Some guys will argue that 2 direct cylinders will lift more, and they probably will, but then again if you need that much lifting power chances are you're overloaded as it is. Our trailer is rated for 12K and the hoist is rated for 12K, I'm sure there's times where the hoist was lifting at least 13K with the weight of the body, just took a little longer is all. I don't know where we'd be without our dump trailer, we've saved/made so much money with it it's ridiculous.

I wouldn't rent the trailer out, people don't realize that when you're lifting loads up into the air the possiblity of tipping the thing over. The average joe, hell, even guys that think they know what they're doing will try to dump with the trailer cocked a little sideways. A mistake like that could put the trailer on it's side and cause some damage. Another issue people don't think about is power lines. Little tougher to do with a dump trailer as you have to get out of the truck to dump, but I'm sure someone's put a dump trailer box into an overhead line.

PSUturf
12-08-2006, 04:20 PM
I used to have a 12000 lb EZ Dump with piston pump. It would start to strain a bit with 5 yards of soil on it.

bucky5
12-08-2006, 06:04 PM
Whenever others want to rent is when you need it. They never take care of it as you would. When I need it, I dont want to wait for it or have to fix it first.

Drew Gemma
12-08-2006, 06:45 PM
dual piston kicks but and it is an over kill
Also if you rent them out get ready for flat tires bent rims broken wire connections and if you have bad luck bent axels

Eclipse
12-08-2006, 08:24 PM
My question is which is a better lift system, scissor or piston?

I have a good friend who has worked for Monarch hydralics for the last 25 years. He sells pumps to several dump trailer manufacturers. He has said many times that a scissor is the preferred way to go.