PDA

View Full Version : paver oops....

MarcSmith
12-07-2006, 03:20 PM
hardscape pics. canyou say OOPS....

install just a tad over one year old...... installedon the rooftop of a building that was completely cleaned, resealed and new pavers installed.

Allure
12-07-2006, 03:38 PM
i'm guessing to much load for the rooftop to handle or is it frost heave/poor drainage. Were you hired to fix it or is it one of your installs? (no offense intended)

MarcSmith
12-07-2006, 04:53 PM
I manage the landscape....not one ofmy jobs. Teh roof had pavers before, but has some leaking. so they had to remove all pavers and soil...and re tar, re membrane the roof, bring soil back in. ect....

Here is a poor pic of the roof... looking down on it... you can see a guy waking in to the ground level in the centerof the pic and the building roof top with grass and paver direct on top.

I think they got some poor compaction at the expansion joint...and theother areas I feel are drainage issues in that the sand base is washing away through a hole inthe filter fabric or in on eof the roof top drains...

Bassically poor follow through on the project managers, and a problem that I will in herit and have to fix on my dime....

Load issues are irrevelatn in that no vehicles larger thana golf cart can access the area...

pavespec
12-07-2006, 05:38 PM
Should have used a slab paver on a set above the roof line. Hanover Arch. Products makes a complete line of pavers for roofs. The proper term is roof ballast. Check out there site. I have installed on roofs their systems are flawless

Mark Hutchison
12-08-2006, 01:02 PM
I agree with pavespec, larger slabs probably would have been better. They set them on pedistals ( all four corners) and there is no sub soils of any kind, nothing to wash down the drain. We use a lot of these HYDROPRESS SLABS and have no problem with them. Appian Way is the name of the pedistals. Sorry you already have the other system down and would h ave to remove it all to install this other stuff.

MarcSmith
12-08-2006, 01:19 PM
we already use some of the pedestal style paver.....it seems like every weel we have anot cracked paver from a student dropping a keg or just being dumb drunk....

The roof was designed to have soil and paver....I feel that they did not get a good compaction on their base. they did it januarya nd Feb, so I would also imagine that some of the epoxy and tar work did not like the cold weather....

marc