PDA

View Full Version : Book recommendation needed

oceanpotion
12-07-2006, 03:52 PM
Hey guys, Im looking to purchase an irrigation basics or principles of irrigation book. Can anyone recommend such a book for an irrigation novice?

Allure
12-07-2006, 05:11 PM
You can read reviews here (click on the ones with more than 3 stars & scroll to the bottom of the page for the reviews)
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/104-3289498-0487111?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=irrigation&Go.x=14&Go.y=6

After i find a book i like on amazon i go to buy.com because they guarantee they will beat amazons price by 10%

I don't know of any particular book since i don't do irrigation.

Az Gardener
12-07-2006, 05:17 PM
I think all of the big manufacturers, Rainbird, Toro, Etc. have the basic information available in sales catalogs. Most of the big irrigation houses Ewing, Horizon,John Deere also have the same info in their catalogs too. The industry has so many new innovations I would think most books are outdated before they are in print. Granted the basics never change but I think you could find the same info in a sales catalog at no cost.

oceanpotion
12-07-2006, 05:45 PM
Wow, thorough advice in a timely manner. Thank you very much.

oceanpotion
12-07-2006, 05:50 PM
Just for others who are interested... the rainbird site has some really nice articles.

jerryrwm
12-07-2006, 06:34 PM
Turf Irrigation Manual by Richard Choate.

SprinklerGuy
12-07-2006, 07:51 PM
I have the Choate book if you want to buy it PM me......don't need it anymore ;)

Dirty Water
12-07-2006, 08:12 PM
Choate's book is currently out of print, so you'd be wise to take up SprinkerGuys offer :)

kerdog
12-07-2006, 08:33 PM
Another place to check out is Irrigation Association at www.irrigation.org
Click on resources>books>turf-landscape.....several to choose from on the subject of irrigation.

kerdog

bicmudpuppy
12-10-2006, 01:54 AM
Geez, I missed a golden opportunity by being to busy to be around reading. My very first reaction to the title post was anything Hienlen. Your going to find more fantasy in most irrigation books than even RAH wrote about. That being said, and having read the previous responses, if you pickup the suggested readings and keep a VERY open mind, you might learn as much irrigation as I have learned spanish.

therainmaker
12-10-2006, 12:19 PM
Very good lawn sprinkler troubleshooting book for beginners :

TROUBLESHOOTING IRRIGATION CONTROL SYSTEMS
by Bill Derryberry, CID, CLIA
(available on the web)
---------------------------------------------------------------------

hope this helps !~~~~Steve D.
http://freepowerboards.com/thrainmaker/

nc-native
12-10-2006, 02:29 PM
Contact local Toro/Rainbird dealer. They usually have lots of free material on basic design etc.. as well as one day irrigation classes throughout the year. Most will do designs/take-offs for free if you purchase materials from them.