PDA

View Full Version : Am I Too Young To Start

13yearoldcutter
06-25-2001, 01:49 AM
I'm only 13 as my name states. I have been cutting grass for a little more than 1 season. I'm not like the regular kid on the block. I trim,mow,fertilize, and cleanup in fall. I have about 3 yards. I was wondering if I was too young to start a heavy advertising campaign just in my neck of the woods.{It will be hard to walk.drive my mowers cross town} If you would give me ideas I would like it if not,I understand.

:blob3:

GreenQuest Lawn
06-25-2001, 01:59 AM
stay young, have fun, don't bust your tail at such a young age.

Scag48
06-25-2001, 02:10 AM
Nope, not too young. I started last year when I was 13. I've got more jobs this year than I had last year and I'm gonna start working up. I'd watch the fertilizing, I think you have to have an applicators license but that might be different in your state. Check it out though, better safe then busted.

vipermanz
06-25-2001, 03:56 AM
how is everybody doing this without any type of permit/license?
Or is this sort-of under-the-table?

TJLC
06-25-2001, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by vipermanz
how is everybody doing this without any type of permit/license?
Or is this sort-of under-the-table?

I think it depends on your state laws. Down here no permit is needed to apply fertilizer alone, but is needed for any kind of pesticide app. and you must have at least 3 yrs. in the lawn/landscape business to even take the test. I'm less than 3 yrs so I pay a company to do it for me. Fertilizer, I do myself, though.

awm
06-25-2001, 08:54 AM
got to admire you 13. but dont forget to be a teenager .
you just get to do that once.man theys a lot o good stuff
in the not to distant future.some downers but mostly good.
luck to you now,later

biglou
06-25-2001, 10:18 AM
never to young to take hold of your future.
just remember to take time out to be a kid.
that goes for all of us.....

Island Lawn
06-25-2001, 12:22 PM
Good luck to ya!
I'd rather have you running a business than doing some of the things I did as an idle 13 year old!
Nuff said.

You don't want to wear out your equip driving it all over town.
Not to mention, you could be a road hazard!
Target your neighborhood. Go door to door and talk face to face.
Spend some time here. There's lots of good tips/people!
Do your best with the clients you have. All the neighbors will see it. Your work can sell itself.

Don't take on too much.

Enjoy life and stay young at heart.
No matter your chronilogical age

jcoat
06-25-2001, 02:12 PM
... also, if you're really bringing in the bucks, be sure to invest! I know you're 13, but if I knew then what I know now, I'd be in a position to do just about anything I wanted by not taking on debt and investing my money. Time is an investor's friend!
Also, being that young, stop and smell the roses! You're only a teenager once... Congratulations on your success!

script
06-25-2001, 04:12 PM
I think it's great when you have that much ambition at 13, and wish that I would've had the same when I was young. I did work but I had too much play in me. You're too young to run a business legally, but not too young to cut a few neighbors lawns in walking distance, and get a head start on your future. That is if you do plan on making this your future. Any way, good luck, stay in school, and learn everything that you can. And like everyone else will agree,, enjoy being young, because there is no going back once you're 36. lol

Bobby

Guido
06-25-2001, 04:41 PM
I respect your hard work ethics, and I know I was hustling around the neighborhood with my mower when I was a kid too. I wish more of the kids today had the ambition you had.

A couple things you have to watch out for though:

1. Can you do this legally? Are you able to get insurance? If not, Mom and Dad may have to pay for any damage you may cause or any damage to you, God forbid.

2. Don't go to crazy at your age. Stick with the simple stuff. Make sure you leave time for some fun, thats what your teenage years are for. I know I regret working so hard during mine, but I was and am still proud and happy about the decisions I made and thats all that matters in the big game! Just Pace yourself. I better not see a thread when your 15 years old like I saw here a few weeks ago that your already "Burned Out" ;)

3. Taxes!!!!!! Old Joe's Lawn Service down the road doesn't care how old you are or how many accounts you have, etc, he's mad cause he has to pay taxes and you don't! Watch Your Back!

4. Fertilizing. People are nice and think its cute that your 13 and such a hard worker. They'll change they're mind when you burn their lawn. Also be careful of any licensing and permits you may need.

Not trying to bring your hopes down or anything just want to make sure you stay in check with reality, cause its out there! :)

Now. as far as advertising, like Island Lawn said, go talk to your neighbors face to face. If they don't want your services then, you won't get their business to a flyer. Theres only so much of an area your limited to so it can't take that long.

Hope this helps some and remember: Be Careful!

13yearoldcutter
06-25-2001, 05:22 PM
Thanks for everyone who replied. This plays rocks, I have learned more here than in a few books I bought. From what you all said Im not too young but I don't need to bust my a$$. I should just get a few yards enjoy the extra $$$ and have fun. I really like this place.

Scag48
06-25-2001, 05:42 PM
Guido yet again makes good points. I want to pay taxes and be legal and all that good stuff but my parents won't let me :(. I'm sure that I'm legal to run my biz, but I'm not able to pay taxes and I'm not able to get insurance. I would like insurance but that would cost a ton of $$$. Just don't be stupid and always know what is under your mower. And little kids, when you see kids coming down the street, or anybody for that matter, shut your equipment OFF and wait for them to pass. Freaks the little tikes out and if they get hurt, busted. Anything you damage you'll have to replace. Or, if you're really lucky, the people that own the place might pay for it with their insurance if it was a window but just the same, be carefull. Other than that, you should be okay. Check your fertilizer thing though, burn someone's lawn and they'll burn your @$$. Good luck!

Avery
06-25-2001, 06:05 PM
Not only are you too young to start a business...you are too young to work for a legit business. While I commend your ambition I think your time would be better spent trying to learn all you can about the industry. Then when you are old enough get a job with an established contractor in your area. Learn what you can then in several years go out on your own if that is what you want to do. If you make a mistake and cause damage/injury to a third person or their property you will be in a world of s#!t. I do not think that anyone that does not carry full insurance and license should be in this business. Too much can go wrong. At your age you would be unable to purchase a commercial insurance package.

TFL
06-25-2001, 08:07 PM
I started when i was 14. Be sure not to let people ripe you off there are many people out there who will try to give you $20 for a $100 job have fun!!

Evan528
06-25-2001, 11:43 PM
I started cutting grass when I was 9.... by 10 i had 6 weekly accounts..... it might sound glorious but I sure as hell didnt have a childhood! Work is always a positive thing but just remember to leave time for yourself... i wish i had! Im 17 now with 50 full service accounts and a full time employee..... I feel like im 35... as does my body!

David Gretzmier
06-26-2001, 01:07 AM
I started at 12 and didn't look back. make money,save some for college and spend the rest. I saved 25 grand between the age of 12 and 19 by mowing before I went off to join the U of A Razorbacks. I spent probably 4 times that between 12 and 19 and had a blast. have fun. dave g

tralfaz
06-26-2001, 01:17 AM
I started your age driving a Snapper with a trailer on back around the neighborhood. That was 17 years ago.

grassyfras
06-26-2001, 01:55 AM
IM 15 right now and make a **** load of money. I think I could buy anything i really wanted but i really dont want to much. But i always have alot of cash on hand.

lawrence stone
06-26-2001, 09:47 AM
If I were 13 in the year 2001 I would not be interested in lawn care.

I would be interested in freak dancing!!!!

kutnkru
06-26-2001, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by lawrence stone
If I were 13 in the year 2001 I would not be interested in lawn care.

I would be interested in freak dancing!!!!

Get ur Freak on - UGH! Get ur Freak on - UGH! Get ur Freak on - UGH!

ROFLMAO
Kris

scottb
06-26-2001, 04:21 PM
If you'r willing to work and can do a good job you'r never to young or too old. But like it's been said dont forget that you are only 13 and you need to enjoy you'r teenage years as much as possible cause you never get them back.
My advice work a little play a lot. You seem to have some ambition and with some thought and hardwork you could be on your way to a great career. Just take it slow.

iski3d
06-26-2001, 11:20 PM
i also started when i was 12 with just a couple of lawns and my familys 21" mower. just invest your money wisely, keep a low profile (dont brag or flaunt about all your $$ at school) ans your business will grow! Im now 16, been driving for 3 months, and have 34 accounts. just dont go too heavy or you'll end up like me, working until 8:30 every day after school.

Greenkeepers
06-26-2001, 11:39 PM
You are never to "young" to start. I started cutting when I was 10 and had about 12 weekly accounts. However there is a difference between going out and making some money and a "BUSINESS" ...

As others have said you are to young to be a legit business but you are not too young to pay taxes. Don't let people fool you and tell you that, I have done taxes for kids before that couldn't even talk yet. The only thing is that the gov't could trace their income where as yours is probably all cash.

Be smart and take it slow. Make sure you pay attention and don't get sloppy. Learn all that you can along the way and see if this is something you would want to do for the rest of your life.

And for those of you who are making "a$$$$" loads of money.. If you were legit you wouldn't be making it that easy.. JUst don't get too big of heads............................

13yearoldcutter
06-26-2001, 11:57 PM
This so sweet, I can't believe all of you guys gave your opinion, Ived been on a few bulletin boards that really sucked, this is more like a community. For all of you who said have some fun also, money makes me have more fun. Instead of begging mom and dad for a surfboard I just buy it. Its cool, I dont work myself to death just 1 or 2 days a week. I just got another account it turns out I did so good she recomended me to a few of her friends. Now, instead of 3 yards I have 6. A little more work calls for a better mower. Anybody have an opinion on what I should get. I don't want to spend too much but I do want to get done a bit faster. Thanks again for all of you that responded please respond again.

This place rocks!!!

13yearoldcutter
06-26-2001, 11:59 PM
I do like gettin jiggy with it. Girls are gettin hotter the same with their dance moves.

Toroguy
06-27-2001, 12:17 AM
Using your social security number, file a return indicating the money you made. Unless you make more than $5000 Im sure you will be exempt. But do file. It would be suspicious to Sam, if at 18 you are suddenly making $100,000 a year.

little green guy
06-27-2001, 01:15 AM
I also started doing yard work around my nieghborhood when i was 10, now I am 17 and have around 35 maintenance accounts plus I also do landscape construction and hardscaping. Yes, you can pay taxes if your under 18 because I do and I was also able to get insurance because my dad has a constrution company and I had to put it in his name untill next year. I also agree with the other guys that you have to have fun too, but don't spend ALL your money on girls, they do get expensive. You also asked about a new mower, if I where you I would try to find a cheep commercial walk behind. When I was 13 I bought a 36" exmark belt drive for 500.00, that machine sure was better than a push mower and I even learned how to work on equipment ;). i would also recomend that you try to get a job with another landscaper, I have worked with a company for 4 years and it has helped me so much, I have built a good relation ship with the owner, he lets me barrow trucks and equipment whenever I need it, it work out real nice and I have learned ALOT for working with them, even though I still don't quit know everything ;). Anyway keep on your path and you will do good in life, have fun and don't do drugs :)

Evan528
06-27-2001, 11:22 PM
Im with littlegreenguy, I am 17 also, I have insurance under my own name.... took many phonecalls but finally did get it... My business is registerd under my name and I pay taxes under my name. Ill never forget when My accountant first called for my tax ID number..... He gave my birth date and they said " do you realize your client is not even an adult..... They gave it to me any way! This is my business, I prefer having everything under my name and being respnisble for it all personally.

13yearoldcutter
06-28-2001, 12:37 AM
Thanks for all the responses. Thanks for keeping me aware on taxes and insurance. I'll wait til next year to mess with taxes, and pray that I don't break anything while mowing. Please give your oppinions on the mower I should get. Toroguy I hope I can find a deal like that. Ived been looking in the classifieds and havent seen any thing that caught my eye. Waitin for suggestions!

sleona
06-28-2001, 10:55 AM
13???

I thought I was getting into the game at an early age, but you put me to SHAME!
Just try to be a kid once in a while, eh?? Best of luck...

summitgroundskeeping
06-28-2001, 09:49 PM
When I was a freshman in high school, I really started to advertise in a small part of my neighborhood. There wasn't 1 LCO around and almost my whole neighborhood is retired people or a 2 income family with no kids. All my lawns were right next to my house. I used an Ariens 21" and an Echo trimmer. I had 6 accounts. But, my advise is to have fun being a kid. Listen to me, I don't even have time for a girlfriend. I turn them down all the time, hot girls, because I don't have time for them. Do your self a favor and act your age.

summitgroundskeeping
06-28-2001, 10:12 PM
EVAN528, how being 17 did you aquire that RIG? Very nice. I'm 17, and although my rig is real nice too, it isn't close to your's.

danthemowerman
06-28-2001, 10:36 PM
go for it man. I started when I was 12 with 11 weekly accounts. Now I'm 17 with 52 weekly and making 30,000+ a year. Save up and get a good 36" or 48" walk behind and pass out fliers and you'll be rich! I'm only 17 and have a truck,a 48" Encore commercial mower, an $8,000 go kart and am about to by an Acura NSX,it's a $90,000 exotic sports car. But also be aware that when your in school it's a pain in the ass working till dark after school and 8-10 hour days on the weekend, but once you get a commercial mower it's real easy, and fun!

Evan528
06-28-2001, 10:58 PM
Greg, Like ive said in the past...... I work 12 hours a day and have absolutly no life outside of work! When I turned 16... I decided to spoil myself! I only cut grass 2 days a week and do landscape maintnance and installation 4-5 days a week... thats where the money is at if you have the natural talent!

BrandonGT
07-05-2001, 11:53 PM
I'm also 13 years old.

Congradulations, fellow teenage landscaper. :D

I'm planning on getting a nice walk-behind for Christmas, and going door-to-door next season, and making a few bucks just from a couple doors down. I'm going to start small.. and as years go by, grow slightly bigger. Then, when I drive, there's when the business kicks up. ;)

Brandon

yardboyltd
08-18-2001, 01:45 AM
Mowing is nice, freak'n is A WHOLE LOT better than a truck load of 41hp Diesel 5000 series Dixie's sitting in your driveway one morning. After tonight(won't go into details) I think I'm going to be a professional freak dancer... :D

WOOOOOOOOOOOHHOOOOOOOOO

Jump off the mower and dance. You older guys too...

Rather be grind'n on the floor than in the shop on blades. :p

yardboyltd
08-18-2001, 02:38 AM
Okay, I've settled down, forgot I even posted the above... :dizzy: :dizzy:

Dochere
08-18-2001, 02:51 AM
The most important thing you can do...

If your smart, you will utilize the time you have right now wisely. Draw up a business plan and set goals. Use the time you have right now, before you start driving, to learn the "business" end of this business. Learn what it takes to succeed in business in general. Study turf care and related topics. Do every thing you can to learn other peoples mistakes. Remember, you can never learn to much. I'm not sure in your area, but most community collages have non-enrolment courses, some involving business, some, the lawn care industry. As long as its not a college credit coarse, you can go - with your parents permission. If you learn all the behind the scenes aspects of business, and arm yourself with a s**t load of industry related knowledge, you will succeed. Plus, your more likely to one day be running a strong, stable, large company - versus a solo or few man operation. What would you rather have?

trimmasters
08-18-2001, 03:23 AM
I disagree that you cant run a ligit business, When I was 15 I had no problem geting a tax id number to pay sales tax or Insurance. never once was age an issue (although there was no luck geting a drivers license at 15.) it was nice to have an employee pick me up in the company truck after school.

John Allin
08-18-2001, 10:20 AM
The world would be a much easier place to survive in if more 13 year olds had this dude's work ethic.

LAWNGODFATHER
08-18-2001, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by danthemowerman
go for it man. I started when I was 12 with 11 weekly accounts. Now I'm 17 with 52 weekly and making 30,000+ a year. Save up and get a good 36" or 48" walk behind and pass out fliers and you'll be rich! I'm only 17 and have a truck,a 48" Encore commercial mower, an $8,000 go kart and am about to by an Acura NSX,it's a $90,000 exotic sports car. But also be aware that when your in school it's a pain in the ass working till dark after school and 8-10 hour days on the weekend, but once you get a commercial mower it's real easy, and fun!

$30,000+ a year. That means you're mowing for less that $20 a lawn. What size lawn are you mowing for less than $20

an Acura NSX is far from an Exotic sports car and you're to inexperanced of a driver for it.

$8,000 for a kart you got ripped off!

Hang on I got to put my waders on. The chits getting deep!

LGF:blob1:

LAWNGODFATHER
08-18-2001, 10:42 AM
DUDE do what you feel is right for you. If not ask your parents.

I say do it. I started at age 8 with a Snapper Commet

LGF:blob1:

grassyfras
08-18-2001, 02:46 PM
I dont think its that hard at all to start up a small lawn biz at age 13. Just grow at your own pace and make the money u want to make. Also in the biz theres to ways of doing things you can work hard for your money and bust you butt all the time or you can work smart and do less work.
And Im 15 and i still have plenty of time on friday and sarurday night to do freaky stuff with girls.
later

dlandscaping
08-21-2001, 06:43 PM
hey another teen landscaper like myself. i started at 8 with a sears (yea the crap machines) weedwhacker and various 21 mowers. i had 3-5 accounts then and now i am 15 with 17 accounts i dont worry about insurance or taxes and i am making enough money to go shopping at lawnmower stores every few weeks. when i was 13 i had 6 accounts and i wanted a big mower like the pros had i checked the classifieds but didnt find anything plus i was afraid of getting ripped off so i investigated every brand in my area which is like all and went with the toro t bar since i was small and the piston would give me trouble. the tbar is my favorite mower and the time it took to cut a lawn was like 1/4 the usual time (i got a 36ixed toro) i do everything you do like fertilizer and i did some pestide spraying, installation and loads of maintence. i made flyers and passed them to the neighbors i took over 10 accounts on my street from 2 of the largest companies in my area all you have to remember is to do a good job since word of mouth is the best advertising

grassyfras
08-21-2001, 11:43 PM
dude u sound just like me almost identical that is weird kinda but oh well.