PDA

View Full Version : Pay me now or pay me later

coxlandscaping
12-08-2006, 09:57 AM
This guy in the neighborhood that Iím working in has an irrigation system that was put in buy some one else that is no longer in the business he asked if we could help him out if he had any problems with it I told him we could and gave him the prices that we charged winterizing, replacing heads etc. you would think I was trying to steal his kids so I havenít heard from him scents UNTIL yesterday morning at about 12:30 he had water blowing out the vent on his backflow preventer it hadnít been winterized I turned his system off and removed the backflow there was about an 8Ē long piece of ice on the downward leg side that came out with the backflow brings me to my question do you all think any damage may have been done to the check valves on the backflow

Wet_Boots
12-08-2006, 10:41 AM
Assume the entire backflow is permanently damaged, and let the customer know that is the price of putting off the needed maintenance. The purpose of these devices is to prevent backflow, and not to survive freezing water.

cush
12-08-2006, 11:06 AM
Tell him how much money he saved by waiting till the rush was over.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Mjtrole
12-08-2006, 07:07 PM
The title should have read "pay me now or pay me more later."

bicmudpuppy
12-10-2006, 01:59 AM
Boots is right (isn't he always). The device is TOAST. I winterized one Monday with the installers card in the door when I knocked to be let into the garage for controller access. When the customer opened the door, the card fell. I picked it up and told here "here's the guy you've been trying to get ahold of......." She said, "yeah, for the last two months......" Builder system. She had been a customer at her old house. turns out the guy did the landscaping too and owes here replacements. He was supposed to get to that back in ..........September??

coxlandscaping
12-10-2006, 12:31 PM
Yea don’t you just love fly by night landscapers & home owners trying to do irrigation, pavers, etc. some people will try and get a working knowledge of it and what it’s going to take to do the job classes etc. what kills me are the people that don’t and do well to drive a car and go out and rent a trencher without calling to even locate there own lines (water, power, phone, cable) and then you get the call. Had a guy two doors down from where we working wanted a price on irrigation and mulching his landscape gave him the price the next day he had a ride on trencher we just enjoyed the show until he hit his gas line going into his house

nc-native
12-10-2006, 02:25 PM
Ice inside the backflow could have caused the psi relief spring to contract and release water. If you haven't noticed any cracks on the backflow itself it is possible the unit is still good. You could tell the owner there's a 50/50 chance the backflow is kaput. Why not want until spring to test it properly? Goodwill goes a long way.

coxlandscaping
12-10-2006, 08:55 PM
The night I removed the backflow I took it with me so that I could check it out for any cracks I didn’t notice any around the ball valves or across the bottom or top of it I was in there neighborhood yesterday working and told his wife to put it up and wait until spring and see what happens

danboone
12-31-2006, 11:06 PM
Yea donít you just love fly by night landscapers & home owners trying to do irrigation, pavers, etc. some people will try and get a working knowledge of it and what itís going to take to do the job classes etc. what kills me are the people that donít and do well to drive a car and go out and rent a trencher without calling to even locate there own lines (water, power, phone, cable) and then you get the call. Had a guy two doors down from where we working wanted a price on irrigation and mulching his landscape gave him the price the next day he had a ride on trencher we just enjoyed the show until he hit his gas line going into his house

This is too funny, I gotta know what happened after he hit the gas line if you wouldn't mind sharing it! :laugh:

Also if you wouldn't mind, what was the price you gave? I give people a reasonable price (as I am sure you do) and most say yes, some say no and others get visibly angry and almost violent, it's like you are taking the toys away from a spoiled toddler in a sandbox. :realmad:

I'll bet he showed you (ha ha). Did you applaud when he hit the gas line or were you a professional? :clapping: