PDA

View Full Version : Piece Work Anyone??

Mark Hutchison
12-08-2006, 12:19 PM
I would like to know if there is anybody out there that has tried to use piece work on irrigation systems. Now I am paying my employees by the hour to install irrigation systems and nobody seems to get to excited about the work. I was wonderiing if anybody is using piece work, so much a head, so much for drips, so much for the main line, etc. The faster they go the more they make, but quality of work is a concern. The same idea with pavers, by the sq ft.

PSUturf
12-08-2006, 02:34 PM
I would be afraid of it leading to sloppy work. They rush to get the heads in to make more money. On some jobs you can dig a hole with a shovel in 30 seconds. On other it takes two minutes with a pick and a shovel. The workers wouldn't be too happy if they are getting paid based on a 30 second dig but they really take a lot longer.

hosejockey2002
12-10-2006, 02:25 PM
If you pay your employees piece work, they are no longer employees, they are independent contractors. This could cause problems with L&I, and your insurance may not cover damage they may do. Instead of paying them piece work, maybe consider productivity bonuses or profit sharing. Continue to pay them an hourly wage, but also give them financial incentive to complete the job quickly and correctly.