PDA

View Full Version : leaking pipes

zliminator
12-08-2006, 05:12 PM
After wrapping the threaded 1" adapters with teflon tape for the inlet of the valves, sometimes they still leak. I've decided to start glueing them in. I have one that's leaking and I would've had to ripe the whole valve box out and redo it all over again. Is there anything I can do to stop the leak? Is there something I can wrap around it? I drips about once every 2 or 3 sec. I'm wondering how much that is in a year.

Dan

jerryrwm
12-08-2006, 06:03 PM
Need to go 1/4 turn more. If you are thinking of glueing the MA in, you would be money ahead if you just bought the slip valves. Then they are glued on and no threads to mess with, and no more MA to buy.

Wet_Boots
12-08-2006, 06:28 PM
In Florida, just go with slip valves (and don't be over-sloppy with the glue) - no real need to have the freedom of movement the threaded valves give you. And if you must have the freedom to replace individual valves, go with a manifold setup with unions on the valve inlets and outlets.

londonrain
12-08-2006, 07:26 PM
Any time I use Teflon tape I always lube up the tape with some water.
Also as a general rule : metal on metal need paste, metal on plastic/pvc needs tape and plastic/pvc on plastic/pvc needs tape.

Wet_Boots
12-08-2006, 07:52 PM
Since I use Irritrol (Richdel design) valves, I way over-tape the supply-side male threads that go into the valve, since the valve thread geometry leaves a lot of space to fill (which is why those valves almost [knock wood :hammerhead:] never split at the threads)

Dirty Water
12-08-2006, 08:34 PM
If your using tape, you should apply a bead of rector-seal or another form of lubricant to the threads.

I use teflon tape on everything (plastic, galvinized, brass), I can count on one hand the number of leaks I've seen.

Wet_Boots
12-08-2006, 09:07 PM
Teflon tape is cheap ~ plastic-safe sealant isn't. I'll just keep overtaping those Irritrols. Back when, it wasn't even an option, since some of the male adapters would bottom out in the valve inlet, unless one overtaped.

Dirty Water
12-08-2006, 09:26 PM
One day, your monster manifold is going to split from too much teflon, and you will be hating yourself for putting 8 valves in a standard box.

Wet_Boots
12-08-2006, 10:03 PM
Never!! [knock wood :hammerhead:] Those Irritrols were made for overtaping. Someday, all valves might be made with something like male acme threads (PVC unions) and will just about hand-tighten into place.

zliminator
12-08-2006, 10:31 PM
I would kill to find the slip connections. I'm using the watermaster valves from HD/Lowes. Maybe I should switch. I've had a lot of problems with those things leaking after I get them in. (With the threaded valves, it would be easy to rig up a test connection).

Dan

Dirty Water
12-08-2006, 10:35 PM
My little red flag of ignorance just shot up when you mentioned the valves your using.

Do you use the HD book as your install guide too?

jerryrwm
12-08-2006, 10:35 PM
I would kill to find the slip connections. I'm using the watermaster valves from HD/Lowes. Maybe I should switch. I've had a lot of problems with those things leaking after I get them in. (With the threaded valves, it would be easy to rig up a test connection).

Dan
That might be your problem. Check out Ewing or some other supply house and get a name brand valve. RB DVS, Hunter PRV, Irritrol 2500 or 2400. You can get them in slip or threaded and not spend more than $1 - $2 over HD valves.

zliminator
12-08-2006, 10:49 PM
...You can get them in slip or threaded and not spend more than $1 - $2 over HD valves.
Sign me up!

Hank Reardon
12-08-2006, 10:54 PM
One day, your monster manifold is going to split from too much teflon, and you will be hating yourself for putting 8 valves in a standard box.

Why is the second I read this I thought of that pic of that manifold assembly that looked from JPL? :laugh:

Ed G
12-10-2006, 09:17 AM
Just an FYI, but every irrigation supply house in Orlando sells valves with the slip connection.

Hunter and Irritrol slip fit valves are the most commonly used in the Clermont area.

Home Depot/Lowes may be a great place to get a good price on valve boxes, but their inventory for irrigation supplies, shall we say - sucks.

Speaking of valve boxes, zliminator, I sure hope you are not one of those Florida irrigation installers that puts in those damn 7" valve box extensions as the main valve box! Don't do that!!

nc-native
12-10-2006, 02:37 PM
Ever thought of using a pre-fab manifold? Very quick to install (faster than cutting and glueing) and changing out a bad valve is an installers wet dream.

PSUturf
12-13-2006, 05:18 PM
I use Spears Blue 75 thread sealant. It was specifically designed for threaded plastic fittings. I put it on all threaded plastic fittings that are under constant pressure.

laylow1994
12-20-2006, 07:06 PM
trust me from doing lots of installs... use good valves that are threaded and use pipe dope or by slip valves.....

zliminator
12-29-2006, 07:19 AM
I got a call from the customer. She said one of the heads was leaking. It was one of the valves (cheap Watermaster). I bought some Irritrol slip valves and installed one upstream from the valve box and hooked it up to the wire from the master valve. It wouldn't fit in the valve box so I had to bury it. Yes, I did use the big valve box. I have about 1/2 dozen of those Watermaster valves sitting around which I am going to return to HD.

Dan