PDA

View Full Version : Engine sound in ford 250

crzymow
12-08-2006, 06:24 PM
I have a 99 F250 with 55,000 miles on it. Recently it has started making a ticking sound especially when the engine is under a load or accelerating fast. I'm thinking it is a lifter or maybe a valve sticking. Would it be something to worry about?

FearThisDeere
12-08-2006, 08:49 PM
My '01 with 57k on it has the same noise. I am pretty sure that it is either what you have mentioned or a manifold bolt. I wouldn't worry about it, but the noise drives me nuts. Mine is under warranty, so the next time it goes in they will be checking it out.:weightlifter: What engine do you have crzymow?

AndyTblc
12-08-2006, 10:06 PM
What you are describing is spark knock. Try running a higher grade of gasonline, then see who it is.

FearThisDeere
12-09-2006, 09:12 AM
I ran 93 for two weeks and there was no change. It also does not happen under idle, just under acceleration.

lawnspecialties
12-09-2006, 09:44 AM
What you are describing is spark knock. Try running a higher grade of gasonline, then see who it is.

That's what I was thinking, as well. Spark knock is usually most noticeable under load. I've had mostly Ford's all my life and they are notorious for carbon buildup. If this is the case, you can have it decarboned at the dealership or quite often do it yourself. Check out www.ford-trucks.com. I promise you you'll get some good advice there. :)

AndyTblc
12-09-2006, 09:59 AM
The neighbor has that when he accelarates really fast, and that is with a chevy. But my uncle has an older ford and it has spark knock every so often.

PGold
12-10-2006, 10:07 PM
My 2003 makes the same noise when towing heavy loads up a hill. I assumed it was spark knock, but I didn't know higher grade gas helps that out. I appreciate the advice.

qualitylawnmanagement
12-10-2006, 10:28 PM
My dads company had a 99 v10 starting to do that, they had to replace the manifold and the problem was fixed. The noise is a ticking sound right? If it is then it's your manifold.

Gatewayuser
12-10-2006, 10:59 PM
My dads company had a 99 v10 starting to do that, they had to replace the manifold and the problem was fixed. The noise is a ticking sound right? If it is then it's your manifold.

That is right I have had the same problem on cars and trucks. The manifold is cracked.

FearThisDeere
12-11-2006, 05:13 PM
That is right I have had the same problem on cars and trucks. The manifold is cracked.
The ticking sound only occured under acceleration, right? Not during idle? Mine is going in for some work this or next week, so I'll get it checked out. My warranty covers pretty much anything it could be.