PDA

View Full Version : 880 linear ft. pricing help

siyaltrduc
12-08-2006, 11:49 PM
I have a retaining wall bid that I need some assistance with. Materials will be supplied by the GC. This wall will be 880' x 4' high total. Basically I need help on the labor aspect of this job. I will have to excavate the footing, place drainage and gravel, geogrid, and all courses of block. I will be using the compac unit by keystone. I have already completed aprox 120' of this wall about six months ago while working for another person. Long story short the GC fired the contractor I was working for and now the GC has contacted me to finish the job. I feel like this job on the low side should be atleast 38,000. Do this sound like a good number? my only expenses will be gas to the sight and a place to stay. I estimate that it will take aprox a month to finish this job with only two people. So let me have it, what do you think??

tthomass
12-09-2006, 12:04 AM
$12.50 per face foot.......if you have as you say with NO expense but gas and lodging and winter coming. I say sure but I've never built one of this scale and do not know what site conditions you have.

If they're in a pinch then you've got momentum to make additional $ if they aren't quick to jump ship and give the work to someone else.

siyaltrduc
12-09-2006, 12:34 AM
what exactly do you mean by face foot? Do you mean per foot at the height of each block or per linear foot at 4' high?

cedarcroft
12-09-2006, 08:53 AM
if it is a relatively straight wall, with no cutting, you could probably do it for $10-12 per block and make money. I would say you should add any excavation on top of that. if you charge the $38k for labor you are a little under that $10 level. the base is gonna take you a long time if you do it right, but tthe rest of the wall (assuming good conditions, no cutting etc.) should go up quick. I think you can do it in 18-20 working days.

tthomass
12-09-2006, 10:53 AM
face foot = square foot.......just vertical vs horizontal like a patio

cgland
12-09-2006, 11:41 AM
Without seeing the site and assuming all access and soil conditions are optimal with minimal toe slope. my price would be around $59,440. This is with the GC supplying block only. Don't forget if your wall is 4' exposed you will have at least a course buried which could add up to at least another 660-700 block plus the labor involved. $38K is way too cheap.

I misread that he will be supplying ALL materials, so my number would be 40,765. You must consider the excavation time plus rentals to do it.

chris

MowJoeLandscaping
12-09-2006, 03:31 PM
Since I am in your area I will not expose my secrets. I have experience with some of these walls. I have built them for schools, horse arenas, etc. Can you backfill the wall from the top or bottom? How much backfill is on site? how much rock do you need? but the short answer, you are WAY too cheap. I've been turned down for walls before, but I've never returned to fix a job that i half A$$ed because i did it too cheap.

nac
12-09-2006, 04:28 PM
Do you guys realy get that kind of money for walls in that area? Around hear I know guys who will do that for 5.50 a block (19,360.00/3520SF)and will have it done ain 10 working days with a 1 operator and 4 laborers.

siyaltrduc
12-09-2006, 05:48 PM
I should have clarified the materials supplied by the GC. All materials will be supplied for this project. I feel that I have done the worst of the first 120'. The rest of the wall is relatively straight.It is clay soil so there will be a lot of gravel used. The first part of the wall has been completed for about seven months and still is looking great and is sound. Proper drainage, backfill, and grids are in place so yes the wall has been constructed the proper way. You are right though the first course is a bi%^##. But as a two man crew can it be done for around 40??

Mike33
12-09-2006, 10:45 PM
If the conditions are right, big word. Back fill on site, easy access, etc. If i was using my ab material it would be around 3,600 block. We lay an easy 5 skids ( 240 block ) per day. I am only a 2 man company with a 3rd. helper at times and would feel 1k a day was big money. We would probably due job in 20 days. Every thing price wise is on location i understand, but to me that is great money. Hell, ill even come down and build it for you for 22k.
Mike

MowJoeLandscaping
12-10-2006, 06:35 PM
yes, now that i read the post more carefully, you are about correct in price. I was thinking you were supplying fill and so forth. If your are just the labor then hire some guys and make you some money. good luck. if you need anything let me know.