PDA

View Full Version : Granite Cobble Pavers

ESVA
12-09-2006, 12:27 AM
What is the quickest way to lay these irregular pavers since screeding a 1" bed does not work too good?

cgland
12-09-2006, 11:35 AM
On irregular paving stones we will usually screed 1.5"of sand and start with some of the thinner ones and just remove sand as we set them one by one. You don't have to be too particular, because when you run the plate (with mat) over them it should set them to a fairly consistant level. Keep in mind though. They are a natural product and the whole idea behind using a natural material is to obtain a natural look, so you will have some inconsistancy in height.

Chris

stoneseller
12-10-2006, 05:01 PM
Probably the quickest (certainly not the best) way would be to spread about 4" of coarse concrete sand, and leave it real loose. No pre-compacting. Then lay the pavers down, and set the thickest peices in a little with a 4 pound rawhide hammer. Then plate tamp.
The 4" of loose sand should allow plenty of space for the thicker stones to settle in to.

This is not a driveway is it? If so, forget quick & do it right.

MarcusLndscp
12-10-2006, 08:32 PM
4" = Too Much

stoneseller
12-11-2006, 06:49 AM
4" = Too Much

I'm not at all recommending 4" of sand, just saying it would make for a **quick** installation. You know, the kind where someone grabs the cash & runs, never mind the long term durability.

Now, if the OP's question was "What is the best way", I would be inclined to ask:

What size cobbles are being used?
Are they split 6 sides?
What is the application? Proper sub-base for driveways are far more critical than for patios or walkways.
What is the freeze / thaw cycle like in your area?

These little bits of information would be most helpfull prior to making a meaningfull installation recommendation.

Matt k
12-12-2006, 06:05 PM
If it is for vehicular traffic, the proper way is to use concrete. I have seen jobs using dry set and it looks cheap. If it is for walk way and/or patio, although I can't imagine why anyone would want to use it for a patio then use a mix of portland cement and stone dust mixed and water added.