PDA

View Full Version : Lost a job today 'cuz I wasn't wearing safety glasses

Scag48
06-25-2001, 05:18 PM
Hey guys. I'm gonna tell you of my misfortune. I had a job that I had just recently landed and when I went to mow it today, the guy had mowed it already. I was thinking that was a little weird. Turns out, he said it was "out of control". I was on vacation from June 15 until June 24, 10 days. I mowed his lawn the day I left which was a Friday. I left that night on vacation. I dropped a note at his house saying that I needed his watering schedule and his home address. He doesn't live here so it's his vacation home. Anyway, he originally wanted me to mow it every 2 weeks, but I knew it would be "out of control" by then so I mowed it for the first time the Sunday before I left (June 10) and came back that Friday and it was long. So when I showed up today, he was pissed cuz I waited 10 days to mow, after he already told me to mow it every 14 days. I told him I was on vacation and he got mad about that. I told him I like to go on vacation too and that I was sorry for the mistake. He told me to go edge the lawn, so I got started. Got about half done and he asked me if my prescription glasses were safety glasses. I said no and then he said he can't and won't let me mow his lawn and that it wasn't going to work out. I said fine and left. I probably would have lost the job down the road anyway cuz he doesn't like mulching and since that's all I do, I won't settle for bagging. Too much of a hassle. Anybody else have these kind of people kick you out? If my eye was "injured", it would be MY own fault for NOT wearing safety glasses, although I am on his property so he thinks I'll file a lawsuit. Oh well. Probably better off without him. Got a new job to replace him though. Much nicer people. ;)

cos
06-25-2001, 05:23 PM
I sink a faks a mixa up. Did you mow this grass Sunday before leaving or Friday. June 10th till today is 15 days!

Guido
06-25-2001, 05:28 PM
The nerve of that guy! Wanting you to be safe on his property! ;)

I know we know that its your problem if you get hurt, but maybe he doesn't know that. Also, he may not want the hassle when you do blow your eye out for being stupid. He's on vacation to relax, not to take you to the Emergency Room.

As far as the mowing goes, obviously if you didn't have the guys address, you didn't have a contract. Maybe if you had a written contract you could prove that he wanted it cut only every 2 weeks.

Hope you learned two valuable lessons today.

1. Safety First : No matter how cool you think you are, or how much you know that it will never happen to you, wear the damn safety gear!!
You'll be really cool with one eye (no offense to any member with one eye)

2. Put Everything In Writing!!!!! : Everyting!! People forget, you forget, and things are misunderstood and misinterpreted. If that was in writing there would be NO confusion by either party.

Hope this helps put the situation in prespective!

:)

script
06-25-2001, 05:48 PM
I don't mean to sound off the subject, but wouldn't prescription glasses serve the same purpose as safety glasses? I've never had to wear prescription glasses myself and was just wondering if it really made that big of a difference.

Bobby

Guido
06-25-2001, 05:53 PM
Big Difference! One is approved for stopping or slowing shooting debris, one is for correcting vision. They do sell perscription safety glasses though!

Avery
06-25-2001, 05:56 PM
The customer was playing it safe. If you are injured on his job and do not have full worker's compensation he is liable and can be sued. I do not blame him one bit. I would never let a contractor on my property w/o proof of insurance.

script
06-25-2001, 06:00 PM
That's good to know in case I ever have to hire a helper, I'll know not to think that the prescriptions are safe enough. Thanks David.

Bobby

Scag48
06-25-2001, 06:00 PM
Script-That's the point! I do have prescription glasses and I can't wear the safetly glasses over them because they scratch the lenses and at $125 for a set of new lenses, I ain't gonna risk it. If I take my glasses off, I'm almost blind, then that wouldn't be safe at all. What a dilema.
Cos-I mowed it on Sunday AND on Friday and by the time I got there Friday, it NEEDED the cutting badly.
Guido-I know I need to get contracts now. I'm going to write all the stuff down from now on and have them sign it. Common sense would have told the guy to give me his number but he doesn't have any so too bad for him.
Anybody else have any ideas of what I can wear to keep myself safe, or should I just wait and see how many other customers reply to this. Nobody has ever said anything about this before. The house is worth at least 200K but the lawn is tiny. I'm sure that if I DID put my eye out, it would be MY fault and if I did decide to sue him, he'd have enough money to pay for it. ;) Any ideas on protection guys? Thanks.

Guido
06-25-2001, 06:07 PM
Most of the guys I work with just get a cheap pair of perscrip. glasses and wear extra big safet glasses over them. A couple have prescription safety glasses and they said they're great.

It shouldn;t be the fact the customer will get mad or not, you should want to have both of your eyes for your first date! ;)

Be Safe Man!

awm
06-25-2001, 06:25 PM
scag 48 i think you just met a real horse hiney.hope i get away with that.everything could have been perfect and he would have still complained.takes all kinds and that kind i avoid in the interest of staying out of the county hotel.better luck and later

Grassman
06-25-2001, 06:49 PM
I agree with Guido 100%. Wear the safety glasses! Russ

Scag48
06-25-2001, 06:52 PM
I know he was just playing it safe but my parents have their own insurance for me. Wouldn't that cover MY injuries? I can see that if I damaged their home, that would be a whole different story. He could have said it nicer, though. Instead of saying "you're done here" and "this isn't gonna work" just doesn't cut it with me.

Guido
06-25-2001, 06:59 PM
Chill out, your missing the whole point here. This shouldn't be about the customer you lost. Theres more important things to think about than that. It would be worth it if you've learned something from it, but obviously you haven't. No matter who's insurance or lawsuit has to cover it, why do you ever want to worry about that crap?

Charles
06-25-2001, 07:47 PM
The guy sound like a PIA anyway--- but you took a 10 day vacation during the busiest time of the year??? Thats a BIG nono LOL. YOu just got one customer? A 3 day vacation would be acceptable--fri, sat, sun. BUt I know I couldnt have a good time knowing I was losing 10 days worth of money and all those calls from whoever

Scag48
06-25-2001, 08:49 PM
Charles-I didn't want to be gone for 10 days but I had no choice. I had my Groundsmaster to work on when I got home (D@mn bendix is going out and the blower belt broke) and I knew that the lawns were going to jump.
Guido-I did learn something. I learned that I'm getting all of jobs in writing. Then when their lawn is really long 2 days before I come to mow it, pull out the contract.
Just a thought, anybody wear those helmet things? I think Stihl and some other manufacturers make them. They are like a helmet with a mesh visor and ear muffs. Seems like they would be really hot in the summer. At least I won't be blind. Getting a cheap pair of prescription glasses might work, but then you'd be swapping the pairs all day. My prescription glasses have the transition lenses, which I like in summer to keep the UV rays down. Basically sunglasses. Anybody tried those helmet things? I might give that a shot if I get any more confrontations.

Comet
06-25-2001, 09:46 PM
I use the stihl helmet/shield when I use my chain saw limbing downed trees after there fell.
Edging I think particles will still get through the mesh somewhat.
I know that some tiny tiny tiny wood chips have come through at times.
Edging you kick up a lot of tiny tiny rocks.
Any thing is better then nothing though!.

Safety always comes first for me, I learned a lot while logging out west and having saftey meetings each week with the companys and or the USFS while fire fighting.

Edging I have a pair of safty glasses with the side protectors, I wear them all the time while edging, I feel I can deffanitly do a better job also that way.

I seen too many "injuries to deaths" in my time, in "all fields" of work.

Craig Turf Management
06-25-2001, 09:58 PM
Just a hunch, but I'm thinking you got dumped for reasons other than not wearing safety glasses. It sounds as if this guy maybe wanted an excuse to get rid of you. I don't know what his deal is. Maybe he was upset that his grass got so out of hand, and he had to mow it. Your understanding was to mow bi-weekly, so he couldn't fire you for that. Sounds like this cat has other issues.

Just my gut feeling. Congrats on the new account though. Bill Craig

eskals
06-25-2001, 10:04 PM
What type of lenses do you have? Polycarb are fairly standard and are the type that are used in prescription safety glasses (I think). Could you get some side shields? I know that the frames may not be safety rated, but that would be a start. Look into some of the better safety glasses that fit over prescription glasses. They are out there, just hard to find!

Eric

geogunn
06-25-2001, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Craig Turf Management
Just a hunch, but I'm thinking you got dumped for reasons other than not wearing safety glasses. It sounds as if this guy maybe wanted an excuse to get rid of you.

Bill Craig

skag--bill nailed it. it wasn't about your glasses and it probably wasn't about your cutting schedule. for whatever reason you were outta there anyway. good luck.

GEO

klc
06-25-2001, 11:12 PM
the question i have is how do you take 10 days off in the summer????

BigEd
06-25-2001, 11:33 PM
I think you lost this one cause of your age.

1.You are not old enough to have insurance,so IT IS his proplem if something happens.

2.he must have thought you were unable to efficiantly(SP) run your business do to you having to go on vaction with your parents(assumption).

TLS
06-25-2001, 11:43 PM
KNOCK ON WOOD!!! In my many years of mowing, I have never had anything hit my glasses hard enough to scratch, dent or otherwise damage the lens. I wear RayBan prescription glass lenses. They wrap around pretty good and like I said, have had nothing "hit" them. Been nailed in the legs, body, face and arms pretty darn hard many times. But these were never hard enough to come close to harming my glasses. I'm getting blinder by the day so mine are pretty thick glass. I had polycarbonate lenses but never held up to the hourly cleaning by the shirt method. Scratched a pair in 1 week and yes they were scratch resistant. My glass RayBans are scratch free after 2.5 seasons!

Good Luck

Scag48
06-26-2001, 01:59 AM
Geogunn and Craig-I think if there was another reason is that he didn't like mulching. I made it extremely clear that I only mulch when I went to bid the job and he was like "well, okay, but we'll see how it goes". I probably would have lost it in a couple weeks from now anyway. I'm gonna go by in the next couple of days to collect my pay. I was going to send him an invoice, then he fired me so I loaded up and left in about a minute flat. Oh well. My grandpa talked to him and his wife has cancer. Maybe it's a better thing that he's out of my hair. More headaches down the road. Oh well. New accounts are still comin' in!

cos
06-26-2001, 06:20 AM
Not to argue with anyone, but i thought prescription glasses would be good enough. They sell plastic side safety shields for prescription glasses. That I assume would serve the purpose, but YA NEVA NEVA KNOW.

KD'sLawns
06-26-2001, 08:28 AM
Scag, safety glasses are the way to go. At least get some side shields for your prescriptions. It only takes one piece of debris to lose sight in your eye, and is not going to be worth it. Look at it from your standpoint not his. How would you like to only have vision in your one eye? At your age, with the amount of work that you do, I would check into eye surgery. If you are a good candidate for the surgery it will only cost you 3-4 grand. You can make that in a month or two and will benefit you the rest of your life.
As far as the vacation goes, 10 days is a little steep during the growing season. If you are serious about this business then you need to find someone that can mow for you when you are on vacation. The most I ever take during the summer is 4 days at a time. That is hard enough by itself. I take 4 days off about four times a summer.

David Haggerty
06-26-2001, 08:29 AM
Your transitional lenses ARE safety glasses. That's all that's required is safety LENSES. The little wings on the side of safety glasses I think were designed by OSHA to make you look stupid.
Yeah, I can get mouthy about O**** now that I have NO employees.
By the way, those transitional lenses are going to get darker and darker in constant sunlight. Tried 'em once, and was told they were for "indoor" people.
Dave

AltaLawnCare
06-26-2001, 09:40 AM
Next time you get your glasses changed, look for a sale "buy one get one free sale". Get a pair of sunglass lens on your second set and use them. Transitional lenses will train your eyes to be light sensitive - it isn't good to keep the eyes from the sun at all times. My mother had this problem a few years back. You may consider breathable goggles, or a full face shield.
Wearing safty equipment makes you look more professional IMO.

Wangel
06-26-2001, 10:10 AM
I had a friend take me to go look at his car that was at a garage this past winter. The garage had the car up on the lift. My friend wanted me to look at the exhaust. We stood under the car with the permission of the garage owner to inspect the exhaust system. My friend and I were not wearing any eye protection. As my friend walked out from under the car a drop of water (we had some snow days before) dripped off the car and hit him in the eye. He started to rub his eye, and then rubbed it some more, and then fell to his knees and started screaming. Turns out this little drop of water had road salt and car rust in it. My friend permanantly scratched his eye and was in the hospital for 3 days. The insurance company for the garage owner paid the medical bill because he should have made sure that anyone going under a car (including customers) should have proper eye wear. I realize that this was sort of a 'freak accident', but full coverage eye wear would have prevented it.

RMDoyon
06-26-2001, 10:15 AM
I have a set of Husqvarna ear muffs with integral plexiglass face sheild.
This is the only thing I have found that allows me to wear my Rx glasses and get full wraparound face protection and full peripheral visibility. In addition, the sheild flips up for wiping the brow etc.
I will admit it can get rather warm on high-humidity days but the peace of mind is worth the discomfort.
I only paid ~$30 at my dealer.
I had tried the mesh sheild but it was useless against dust and small particles that fly up from edging and trimming.

If you buy the helmet version then you get both sheilds in the package and they are easily interchanged. The helmet is a bit much though.

Roger

AVRECON
06-26-2001, 02:00 PM
Bottom line is the guy wanted to can you. If you gave him another answer to his question, then there would have been another question till you gave the wrong answer. Forget this guy, I've met him lots of times and you can't win with people like this.

cos
06-26-2001, 02:06 PM
The way I see it, is that the guy didn't concern himself with scag's well being, but was being an a$$hole. He was just saying all that just to get rid of him.

bubble boy
06-26-2001, 05:54 PM
you get a job with a desk pushin paper!

but seriously, you can't abandon your cuts for 10 days. people want to see you, whether the lawn needs cutting or not. at least have someone do your cuts while your away.

thats one big advantage of a business partner, there is always someone to back you up.

Scag48
06-26-2001, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the ideas guys. I hate safety glasses. They look kinda dumb and if I got one of those helmet things, I could use it for other stuff as well. Plus with the integrated earmuffs, I'll never lose them, as I often do. LOL. I didn't want to be gone 10 days. I was very nervous about leaving. When the next Friday rolled around (one week after I last cut), I was really nervous and really wanted to get home to mow. All my accounts are now cut as of yesterday and I'm getting back on track this Friday. :cool:

SLS
06-26-2001, 07:04 PM
I too would concur that this client has other "unseen" motives.....

...maybe his cousin owes him money and will cut it to pay him off...or another guy will "kiss his azz" for half the price you are charging him. ;)

I think the guy just did not have the nutz to level with you Scag48.

Forget the jerk. He would rather blame you than accept the blame himself...I've had plenty of bosses in the past with this very same attitude. Thats the beauty in being "THE BOSS"!

PEACE!

Oh yeah, whatever you do...PROTECT THOSE EYES! I don't see any blind guys mowing around here. :)

lawrence stone
06-26-2001, 10:21 PM
If your script glasses have plastic lenses what's the big deal.

Your could get yourself a set of "work" glasses and put those
little clear plastic sides on them.

With the above you will have the protection of safety glasses.

JJOHN22042
07-28-2001, 10:03 PM
You just should have stated to him that you are wearing safety glasses.:D

SCAPEASAURUSREX
07-28-2001, 10:27 PM
Getting back to saftey glasses...

I have used the hard hard combos , and they are a bit much in the summer, However you can get a clear face shield for them in place of the plastic mesh. I think the one I have is Elvex.

Also if you check the better saftey supply companys like Brenton Saftey in CA or Lab saftey supply they have specialized goggles for people who wear glasses . I think they are deeper and wider to cover your prescription lenses.

Look into it.....

The most important part of your business is YOU.. don't forget it and take care of yourself first and foremost..

Best of luck

bobbygedd
07-29-2001, 02:06 AM
wear those goggles or whatever u can to protect yur eyes! i weedwacked for 4 yrs without ever wearing glasses, (i also played football without a helmet) i got hit in my left eye so many times by little rocks and debris, i can hardly see out of it, everything is real blurry. now i always wear safety glasses. and...that dude dint diss u for the glasses thing, that was just an excuse.

Scag48
07-29-2001, 02:11 AM
Man, how did this thread get dug up again?! LOL. I thought this was old news, which it is. I sent the idiot his bill and he did pay it. Turns out he had a little note on the invoice that he sent back to me ;). Later guys.

TheLawnBoy
07-29-2001, 12:42 PM
I use the Stihl mesh face shield with ear protection. Seems to work pretty well. They also sell one with a clear plastic shield i think. That one would stop small particles that would make it through the mesh one. The prob with the clear one is scratching though. The ear protection is kinda hot if it is a hot day. Geez that sounded dumb, but i think someone asked that.

Andrew

strickdad
07-29-2001, 01:57 PM
the safety glasses are an excuse he probaly now has a friend of a friend doing the lawn .. i say theres poliatics in them there hills!!!

oneEXMARKfan
07-29-2001, 02:21 PM
Have been wanting to try a mesh shield for awhile.

miquel
08-01-2001, 11:06 AM
This guy was looking for an excuse to get rid of you.