PDA

View Full Version : steel sizes for a 3300lbs trailer floor/main frame

tomo
12-09-2006, 03:56 PM
hello , trailer floor/mainframe 11 x 6 overall
a/ for the outside frame 65mm x 35mm x 2mm thick
[ 2 9/16 x 1 3/8 x 5/64 { 47gauge} tubular ]

b/ for the support rails running from the left to right [to support the actual floor ] 50 mm x 50mm x 2mm
{2 x 2 x 47 gauge tubular}

Opinions???
Do u own a trailer of similar size and weight capacity and your sizes are ??

thanks tomo:waving: :waving:

tomo
12-10-2006, 03:00 AM
hello, any body ????????

tomo

muddstopper
12-10-2006, 12:01 PM
I dont own a trailer of these diminsions, but since no one else has chimed in, I will give you my .02cents worth.

Box tubing is generally stronger than channel, but thin wall, such as what you are using, is subject to break around the welds, Especially at the axle mounts and where the cross members connect. Probably wont be a problem as long as welded properly if you are staying on paved roads. The bounceing associated with the gravel roads or hitting potholes could produce stress cracks over a period of time. If I was building the trailer, I think I would move up to at least 1/8 or 3/16 tubing. The extra cost of the steel wont be noticeable on a 6x11 trailer and the extra strenght gained will be worth every penny. I would probably also scrap the 2x2 tubing in favor of 2" 3/16 angle for cross bracing spaced on 2ft centers. In fact, for a 3500lb trailer, why even fool with the tubing for the frame. 3x3/16 angle or channel will allow you to hook tiedowns anywhere you need them. If you use tubing, you will have to weld tiedown hooks to the outside of the frame. To make the trailer pull properly, locate the axle center back one inch for every foot of lenght of the trailer. For a 11ft trailer the axle center should be 5'11" back from the front of the trailer frame, excluding the trailer tounge. This will give you a 60/40 weight split over the axle, as long as you center the load over the axle.