PDA

View Full Version : Anyone building outdoor kitchens?

drsogr
12-10-2006, 05:02 PM
I am trying to research building outdoor kitchens. Anyone have any experience with this? I am just looking for maybe a website with some ideas. I would like to use something like versa-loc to make the freestanding walls around it and the bases for the cabinets, but I am really unsure on how everything fits together. Most of these setups I have seen also use a gas grill, I am looking at a barbeque/smoker.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

MowJoeLandscaping
12-10-2006, 08:01 PM
Pass on the verso loc. Build the structure using normal concrete blocks. And then veneer them with either brick or cultrued stone. That way cost can be diverted to design and function rather than to a structured block that only needs to hold up a grill.

dcondon
12-10-2006, 11:33 PM
I will see if I can dig up the thread because there was one a while back.

drsogr
12-11-2006, 09:08 PM
I will see if I can dig up the thread because there was one a while back.

I searched before I posted...I didn't see anything.

PaperCutter
12-11-2006, 11:12 PM
We were contacted to be installers for a company called Fresco Frames (www.frescoframes.com) They send out flat-packed kits of pre-cut steel studs that you rivet together, cover with cement board, and then apply your cultured stone, tile, stucco, whatever. They say it'll hold up outside of California, and it looks pretty simple to build.

hoskm01
12-12-2006, 12:05 AM
While considering contracting on my own pool, I found a cool site done by a guy here in the Phoenix area. The link takes you to the first of 3 pages of in depth masonry barbeque building. All the pics are great and good narrative too. Use the links on the right of the page to navigate through all of the pages, the links at the end of the pages dont take you all the way through the barbeque process. After looking through those pages, I would build a bbq this way.

http://www.howibuiltmyownpool.com/modules.php?name=Construction&phase=bbq_island

jamo1911
12-12-2006, 11:16 PM
I use an awful lot of Versa-Lok and would not suggest it for a free-standing wall. They don't really have it set up for that. Versa-Lok is great for a backfilled wall, but free standing is different. First - The backs of the block would have to be snapped off, ok no big deal. Second, If you did that you would be just able to make a somewhat straight wall. They all taper and would have to be alternated 180 degrees, but that would count on the blocks being tapered to some sort of percision. And since the blocks are never 100% the same size and such I would assume that they would not make a perfectly straight wall. If you want curves you would have to cut way too many to make money. Instead use Techo-Bloc Calistro and be happy. Straight, curved whatever they rock and to top it off the caps are set up for freestanding as well. They cost more so charge more. They also are much more uniform. Versa is great for a budget minded customer. I would suggest bringing samples to customers and up-selling on materials. Even if you just charge the extra that it costs you (and no one ever does) if it makes your project go faster you made more.
Jamo

PSUturf
12-13-2006, 04:54 PM
Check with local building inspector about building codes that apply to enclosures for propane or natural gas appliances. There may be specific requirements for venting the grill or the enclosed space within the block wall. The code requirements are in place to prevent a gas build up in case of a leak.

TPnTX
12-22-2006, 09:24 AM
Kosh, at this point where do you stand on building your own pool?

cgland
12-23-2006, 09:36 PM
drsogr - I don't agree with mowjoe totally. We typically build MOST of our grill enclosures out of retaining wall block only because we have those wall elements present elsewhere on the job in the form of sitting walls, raised applications, steps, etc. We have also used the technique he spoke of, but not too often. (although I love the look)

Chris

John Zaprala
12-31-2006, 03:48 PM
We do outdoor kitchens. I've learned that the dimensions specified by the BBQ, refrigerator, and other appliances are not always the best. When you build an outdoor kitchen you really need to draw out the job well. We ran into a problem when we tried to fit in the doors under the BBQ. we gave ourselves an extra 1/2" then the manufacter's specs, but we used EP Henry Coventry wall which is a 3" rough faced block and that little bit of roughness held us back a 1/2 day. Next time we do an outdoor kitchen I'm going to recommend that we use cinder block and verneer. Then use the same for the double sided wall or a complimenting color of verso block
I have some pics if you'd like to see.

hoskm01
01-03-2007, 02:02 AM
tpntx,
I spent a lot of time drawing out my dream pool and have that standing by when I am ready to go with it. I read a ton about it, think I can pull it off pretty easily. Just waiting to sell my rental house somewehre between now and 2 years and spend part of that money on the pool at the new house. It will be in-ground gunite with swim-up bar, sunken patio behind the bar, ramada over the patio and in-place swim current for exercise and beach entry in addition to the standard "pool".