PDA

View Full Version : to many people in truck

lawnboy82
06-25-2001, 11:15 PM
ok. here is just something to think about for us with too many people. a company by me, i know one of the owners. they are descent size. several trucks, several employees, etc. well they have been workin on a project out in CT. a few days ago there was an accident. this company, had an ext. cab pickup truck with 9 people in it. that truck hit a dump truck. one employee of the landscaper was killed, and 4 were taken to the hospital for injuries. the driver is being charged with vehicular manslaughter. they are araigning him to CT one day soon i guess. he could face up to 10 years in prison. now think about what all of these people are gonna do to the company? the lawsuites? the position the insurance companies will take? just think about what that can do to a company / family?

PrimeGreen Lawn
06-25-2001, 11:24 PM
Maybe he should'da put em' in the trailor! BRICKMAN's does.

Just kidding....thats sad to read. Thats why it's soooooo important to be over-covered as far as insurance. Newbies behold....this stuff DOES happen! Cover your a** and get your insurance!

kutnkru
06-25-2001, 11:24 PM
I have seen some of the larger crews in our areas do everything from transport employees in the back of stake beds, to employees riding on the back of trailers up the street to the next lawn.

Certainly makes you wonder where peoples minds are at times. I think that if a Company acts irresponsibly they deserve whatever they have opened themselves up for. The tragedy is that it usually takes the loss of a life to get them repremanded.:(

Kris

lawnboy82
06-25-2001, 11:30 PM
yeah, i saw what brickman carries guys in. i wonder what is legal in those things? capacity wise. and as for the distance they had to travel to get home, we are probably talking somewhere between 30 and 50 miles. im not sure exactly, probably closer to 35, 40. however it takes about 1 hr to cover that ground. approximatley. and depending on traffic.

curry
06-26-2001, 02:36 AM
I am a State Trooper by night and a yard man by day. The law is different in each state but in Texas there is no law on how many people can ride. As long as they dont interfere with the operator of the vehicle. And it gets complicated but all seatbelts must be used in the front seat. If 4 are in the front seat and only 3 belts, only 3 have to be buckeled up. Riding in the back of the pickup is ok as long as you are at least 12(if you are under 12 the vehicle cant go over 35mph) Hope this helps from the legal standpoint.

Richard Martin
06-26-2001, 07:24 AM
In Maryland everybody in the cab of the truck must be wearing seatbelts. Over 16 is allowed to ride in the back and no one is allowed to ride in trailers.

PrimeGreen Lawn
06-26-2001, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by curry
I am a State Trooper by night and a yard man by day.

I was also a State Trooper :blob3: .
Quit when I was making more money on the weekends cutting than an entire week onthe street!

Scott

KD'sLawns
06-26-2001, 07:58 AM
That is sad to hear about anyone losing a life.
In New Mexico, everyone has to be seatbelted in unless you are in a 1 ton pickup. The lawmakers did not include these vehicles into the seatbelt laws. So, as long as you have a 1 ton truck, no one has to wear seatbelts.

rdh
06-26-2001, 08:02 AM
that could have been the same way they got in this country, buy the truck load.thats sad to loose a life but that company gets what they deserve.9 people in a truck what a joke.

kutnkru
06-26-2001, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by KD'sLawns
... So, as long as you have a 1 ton truck, no one has to wear seatbelts.

This law is along the same lines of ludicrouscy as Taxi Cabs in NYS. Passengers are exempt from the seat belt laws. I was thinking that with the passenger protection OBVIOUSLY coming from the paint job, that I would paint all our vehicles "Taxi Yellow" and change our name to Sunshine Landscape -LOL!!:p

Where people come up with their thought processes during the lawmaking process sometimes is beyond me.:rolleyes:

Kris

GreenQuest Lawn
06-27-2001, 01:15 AM
I got stopped two yrs ago with 7 people in a king cab. The cop told me you could only have as many people as there are seat belts. No more.

curry
06-27-2001, 02:20 AM
I dont know what the law in your State is. I know some States do have that law but not in Texas. I did leave out(I thought we were talking about 1/2 tons) that in a 1 ton if you are over 15 you do not have to wear a seatbelt at all, regardless of where you are seated or how many. Again, this is only Texas. A side note, Fedaral law requires all people to wear a seatbelt in ALL vehicles (even an 18 wheeler) but we do not enforce Federal law. I know this is getting off the subject of lawn mowing and I apoligize. Any other questions, email me. Check the laws in your own state and read for yourself. I have found that some cops are even confused as to who and where seatbelts are to be worn because the law is confusing.

crazygator
06-29-2001, 06:54 PM
I don't know the law here in Tennessee, but last weekend in a snobby rich well off part of town I saw a regular cab truck with 4 plus on his flat bed 2 ZRT with riders still sitting on them and another hanging onto a walk behind. I thought "If I were paying a company to do my lawn and they drove up like a bunch of monkeys I'd say see ya!" What a true joke. Makes many of us have a bad rap for being really unsafe.