PDA

View Full Version : TRIMMER/EDGER SWITCH HEADS or HAVE SEPERATE EQUIPMENT?

XOFMOT
06-25-2001, 10:23 PM
Time for me to get rid of my CRAFTSMAN curved shaft trimmer....This thing is just to short and it's killing my back!

I did a search on this subject and I didn't turn up much ..so I ask....

Should I just go out and buy a top of the line commercial trimmer that I could put the edger attachment on? Or just buy 2 seperate pieces of power equipment. I would like to keep the price in the neigborhood of no more than $600.00 for what ever my choice comes to be.

I'm a SOLO operation at this time....I do it all.

Can you do initial edging with a stick edger? or should I also be considering a dedicated edger...if so, what's a good one.

Thanks Again!:)

kutnkru
06-25-2001, 10:28 PM
I think that you will find that in the long run the inital sticker shock of two dedicated pieces of equipment will not surpass the lost wages from switching heads at every stop.

As far as most accounts are concerned you will be able to edge 99% of your walks and your curbs with the stick edger. The wheeled edgers are better for establishing ornamental beds etc.

Good Luck!
Kris

KirbysLawn
06-25-2001, 10:43 PM
Depends. If you have good clean edges already established then get a good trimmer and edge & trim with the same one. I have a Sthil stick edger and rarely use it, mainly on new, poorly maintained lawns. If cash flow is not a problem get both.

Ray

David Gretzmier
06-26-2001, 12:00 AM
I'd stretch your budget and get a deicated trimmer AND a switchable, preferably the fs85 from stihl. when you are not edging, you can use the hedge trimmer, tiller, chainsaw, or have a backup weed trimmer. I trim most edges with string trimmer anyway. dave g

65hoss
06-26-2001, 12:03 AM
I guess it depends on your type of soil. My stihl stick edger does as good as my 3 wheeled edger on bad jobs but in half the time. I have dedicated equipment. The only attachments I have is the hedge trimmer attachment. It takes no time to put one on the rack and get the other off. Seems like if you have a split shaft you have to figure out how to carry all the attachments and keep them locked down from theft.

David Haggerty
06-27-2001, 06:00 AM
I just bought a Stihl FS85 for $339 at the dealer. I got it to have the hedge trimmer & pole pruner attachments. I have an FS80 that I bought just last year 'cause I didn't know the difference. The FS85 has a triple plate clutch and solid shaft to handle the high torque attachments. It's so easy to change heads, I'm just going to leave the FS80 at home. But I'll just be changing heads only a few times a year for my use.
I went to Stihl from Echo because it seemed to me they ran with less vibration and were lighter. That's important to me because I'm a solo operator too.
Dave

XOFMOT
06-27-2001, 05:13 PM
THANKS EVERYONE!

Thanks for your valuable input. I will probily be getting a power head that can use different attachments at first. Since I am solo (for the time being) there is no need to have dedicated equipment at this time. I'll just hold onto that Craftsman as a BACKUP for now.

Thanks Again!!!!