PDA

View Full Version : what is wrong with me?

lawnboy82
06-25-2001, 10:52 PM
hey guys. this morning an owner of the deli i keep my stuff at asked me to cut his front lawn. the slope is about 30 - 40 %. and is in the dirrect sunlight. slope goes right towards the house from the road. the area i had to do was about 15 - 20M sq ft. i am not sure. well i got cutting and got about half way done. i was sweating really bad, and i kept goin. got done with the whole front and my face was burning or stinging me. and my neck was all hot. i had to go and sit under the garden hose for about 10 minutes. and even then when i went back out there, i was burning up. i have to cut it again before the 4'th so i didnt trim. i just blew the walks and drive and left. but man was i hot. you guys ever get like that? where your skin burns or stings? what do you do when that happens? or what is that a sign of?

Runner
06-25-2001, 11:35 PM
It's not so much the heat sensation on the skin, but if you start feling chills, you could be in some trouble as this is an early warning sign of heat stroke. Keep the WATER levels up inside you so you perspire regularly and generously. Be careful.

65hoss
06-25-2001, 11:39 PM
You northern boys just can't handle the heat. :p Bring back the snow!

David Gretzmier
06-25-2001, 11:48 PM
sometimes the heat get's to this southern boy too. I do the garden hose thing, and it also helps to run water on your wrists. don't know why, it just does. Dave g

65hoss
06-25-2001, 11:55 PM
take something real cold and place it on the inside of your elbow. You can feel the heat being pulled out of your body.

Evrgreen
06-26-2001, 12:37 AM
My experieence with heat stroke is headache,nausea,feeling sick after a hard hike downhill 8 miles.Got to camp,felt fine,ate and 2 hours later felt awfull and went to sleep.Going back drank plenty of water before during and after and had no problems.
Heat stroke is dangerous.An article I read had a guy that pushed himself harder than I did.Permanant damage to himselfs as now his body can't take anty tempeture extremes hot or cold including an air conditioned store.

geogunn
06-26-2001, 12:44 AM
lawnboy--was the area recently chemically treated? that stuff can be bad ju-ju if you get it on you or inhale. (be like bill clinton in that case, don't inhale!)

GEO

sheppard
06-26-2001, 06:47 AM
I'd have to agree with the post on the possibility of chemicals in the area. I live in Tallahassee FL. Just started this kind of work two months ago and I am 45 years old. Don't have much trouble in this jungle area. Also could have been a "stagnant area of air". It can make you wheez and slow way down. Feels like a heavy blanket on you through most of the day.

Sheppard

awm
06-26-2001, 07:14 AM
im think something sounded strange there also.
id look the place over good.later now

AltaLawnCare
06-26-2001, 08:49 AM
I always hated water, but now I make mself drink it, and I can tell a big difference in how I feel and hold up.

Not related to this thread, but ,...
Runner, I like your Signature - you must be a big Who fan.

Turfer
06-26-2001, 08:57 AM
Could be carbon monoxide if the deli is on a busy street. Since you were working a slope, maybe your pump wasn't getting blood to your head !

HOMER
06-26-2001, 09:32 AM
I mowed a yard last year that had been sprayed with a fungicide for dollar spot. I didn't know this because the chem company didn't post a sign. After we started my face, eyes, arms,,,,,,,,anything that was sweating and exposed started to burn like all heckkkkkkkk. I rinsed my eyes and face with water but that didn't help a bit, the burn had set in. I thought I was going to have to go to the hospital, my wife was in the same boat but she had her safety glasses on and I didn't. All night that crap stung and burned, took about 6 hrs for it to finally ease off.

Find out if the man had any chemicals on the grass, could be you were getting that "chemical burn" sensation I had. I know what to look for now...........and I do too. You have to feel it to understand how bad that hurt. I'm not a sue happy guy but I will really think hard about it if I get ate up like that again and nobody has warned me that stuff is there.:angry: