PDA

View Full Version : slightly burned turf

lawnboyil
06-25-2001, 11:36 PM
ok we use a old 36" belt drive bobcat and on a couple of accounts we cant alternate driectings mowing and there is a slighty brown area of turf behind the tire. what give we can figure it out and havent had a chance to take it to the dealer

thanks any ideas would be helpful

alex

KirbysLawn
06-26-2001, 12:26 AM
HUH??? :confused:

lawnman_scott
06-26-2001, 12:31 AM
I dont get it. Brown turf behind the tire?

Scag48
06-26-2001, 01:13 AM
Mee knot git eet.

LOL. What are you talking about? If you got brown on the back of your tire, clean the dog crap off!

Keith
06-26-2001, 02:23 AM
Are you dealing with dry yards here? Sometimes when in drought stressed lawns, you will be able to see brown streaks where the tires went several days after it is cut. This is a rare event and conditions have to be just right. But I am talking St. Augustine. Other than that I'm not sure what you are referring to.

awm
06-26-2001, 07:24 AM
sounds like you already figured it out. its traffic
marks.move your tires over half a width and get the owner to water if possible.later

Keith
07-03-2001, 08:58 PM
Did you figure this out? Or are you still tracking up lawns?

LoneStarLawn
07-03-2001, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Scag48

LOL. What are you talking about? If you got brown on the back of your tire, clean the dog crap off!

I died laughing reading that...

Keith
07-03-2001, 10:17 PM
When I first saw the pic in this thread http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=17181, I thought it was the same guy. I was like, dude you ain't kidding :p

lawnboyil
07-03-2001, 11:59 PM
we tryed adjusting the tire pressure because we change one from tube to tubleless dont know if its made a difference. and when we 1st noticed the stripes(burned grass) there was no drought stress then but there was a little dry spell for about a week.

it anint nothing like that picture

alex

JLC
07-04-2001, 12:29 AM
If the lawn was recently fertilized with slow release granular the tire traffic will break down the granules exposing the urea. I believe some companies call this catastrophic release in their ads. Without rain it would burn the lawn if it was dry with higher temps, with rain it would just make the lawn grow really fast. There is plenty of this happening right now because the big companies are putting down their summer granular fert and it is dry and hot here now big time.

Premo Services
07-04-2001, 10:04 AM
This hapened to me last year,a week after I cut it, the lawn had brown stripes in it at every pass that I made with my mower. The customer never said anything about it, although When I seen him I asked if he was having any problems. This is the only lawn that did this. I am thinking it was dry and the weight of the mower caused stress on the turf.I do 4 next to each other, and they all have the same type of grass. Mabey it has something to do with the fertilizer, that JLC mentioned in his post.

Russ
07-04-2001, 03:28 PM
Dollar spot and brown patch are running rampent in the Indianapolis area. Both can be spread by your mower tires. The best controls I have found are to maintain a healthy turf (ample N but not too much), mow at the high end of your scale 31/4 to 3 1/2, try to mow only after the grass is dry, and ask your customers to water heavly but only in the early morning so that the grass is dry my 9 or 10 AM. The crown of water stressed grass can be crushed by a mowers tires causing perminant damage to the lawn, but it doesnt happen very often. Usually by the time it reaches that point of drought stress it doesnt need to be mowed. I have never seen burst burn from mowing just after a fertalization. Rye us usually more prone to fungus than blue but blue sure does get it too. Usually with good cultural controls the grass will recover in a couple of weeks.

GroundKprs
07-04-2001, 04:05 PM
Apparently, with some grasses there is a point when the grass is drying out, before going dormant from no water, that you can damage the grass stems by pressure on them. This is often seen next week as brown lines from mower wheels, because they are so regular in pattern. And even after irrigation is applied, these brown stripes will remain for up to 4 weeks until new tillers are grown in place of the damaged ones. I have never seen an exact description of the process, but I am assuming that there is a brittleness at some point of the drying process of certain grass species that the stems can be (broken?) or at least damaged to cause death of that tiller. Before and after that point, there will be no damage to the grass. My experience with this effect has been only on bluegrass or fine fescue lawns. I have learned to anticipate the conditions in each particular lawn that this has occurred, and avoid mowing when these conditions are present.

Fertilizer or dollar spot would not give the straight line effect that I am familiar with.