PDA

View Full Version : Diesel or Gas

stumpslawncare
12-13-2006, 08:40 AM
I am looking at buying a 1 ton dump truck. Which do you guys prefer or think is better and why. A diesel or Gas?

Jpocket
12-13-2006, 09:54 AM
Whatever you can afford. Either will serve you well...diesel would be a plus though.

grassmanak
12-13-2006, 11:27 AM
well what gas engine are you looking at?? Whats the price of diesel in your area?? A diesel will get better fuel economy under a heavy load then a gas engine, but is it worth the cost of the engine and tranny upgrade. If your looking at getting the 8.1L with allison tranny the prcie should be close to the diesel.

Gravel Rat
12-13-2006, 01:50 PM
Are you buying new used ?

I say go diesel once you have you never go back to gas. I don't think I could ever go back to a 8mpg gas pot.

stumpslawncare
12-13-2006, 02:01 PM
I'm going used. 2001 2002 range

jarhead777
12-13-2006, 07:04 PM
It depends on how much your driving. If your running the wheels off go diesel. If you will only put 5k a year on the truck find a gas in good shape and save some money. I did a spread sheet a couple years ago to answer this question. At the time I figured I needed to be driving 30k a year to offset the extra cost of the diesel.

tthomass
12-13-2006, 08:32 PM
What will you be using the truck for? NEW a diesel will cost about $7,000 MORE than a gas...........referring to a 4500 I had priced out.

I don't know what you're using this truck for but here's a thought:

DMAX 4500 loaded with boxes etc was gonna run me about 43-45,000 new. I am building my 26k GVW '02 International 4300 from the chasis up for just under 50,000.......little price difference, big truck difference

stumpslawncare
12-14-2006, 08:46 AM
I will just be using it for pulling my landscaping trailer and hauling dirt, rock typical landscaping items. I put about 20 -30 thousand on it a year. (Miles)

J&R Landscaping
12-14-2006, 10:25 AM
Are you going to be using the truck when you are on your mowing route or only when doing landscaping?

If it will be used daily on a mowing route, I would look into either a Big block v-8 or a v-10. Diesels are great in a dump truck but not if your gonna be mowing with it. I dont see the point of a diesel in a truck that is just going to start and stop (the engine that is) Diesel engines are made to run and IMHO, if you went diesel, it would be more beneficial to let it run while you are mowing.

tnmtn
12-14-2006, 01:43 PM
if you can afford it diesel would be my choice.

DBL
12-14-2006, 02:03 PM
everyone wants diesel i love ours but a gas would do just fine a skid loader is the heaviest thing we full and a gasser would do just fine with the price of diesel and the fuel milage and the price fore parts and to fix them a gas is cheaper also in 08 the emissions is going to kill everyone with pre emission diesels were going to have to put additives in everytime we fill up

FIRESCOOBY
12-14-2006, 05:06 PM
I bought a new diesel because 1( I wanted it, and 2) I could afford it. Did I need it? No. I only pull a rinky dink 5X10 trailer right now, but plan on upgrading to a 14-16' enclosed soon. A gasser 3/4 ton would still do fine. I do add an additive (Stanadyne) every fill up for peace of mind. I only drive mine for work and have a Honda Civic for other driver and estimates. I might average 5-8k miles/year.

If you're looking at 2001 models...I would first look at a Ford 7.3L or Dodge Cummins. The auto trans in both are somewaht weak, more so in the Dodge. I would not hesitate to buy a 2001 Cummins/6 speed, even if it had 150k miles as long as everything checked out. The NV5600 transmissions are very reliable as well as the Cummins. The 7.3L are very reliable also. The 2002 and 2003 (pre 6.0L) are supposedly the best 7.3L models. The 2001 and 2002 Duramax's are good, but had injector issues. GM extended warranty for 200k miles on these engines.

Buy what you want and can afford. Yes, diesels cost more to fill up, maintain, etc. I bought my 2006 2500HD for the Duramax (has proven itself so far) and Allison. Plan on leaving it stock (minus an exhaust, wheels/tires, etc) so it should EASILY last me 10 years.

Good luck!!

Timberman
12-14-2006, 06:02 PM
Yeah man, get the diesel if you can. You won't regret it. I'll never own another gas powered truck again. For towing, you can't beat the torque and power, and most get pretty good mileage.

iowa
12-14-2006, 06:07 PM
Diesel is awesome.

tthomass
12-14-2006, 09:43 PM
go test drive..........but then wants may over power needs

Gravel Rat
12-14-2006, 10:07 PM
When you have a gasser truck and pass a gas station the truck says feed me feed me :laugh:

I have been there done that with gas pots I went to diesel about 6 years now never would buy a gasser. My brother bought a used Dodge cummins last year I don't think he will go back to a gas pot truck.

The newer gas pots are not cheap to fix either one of the local guys with a 4.0l V-6 in his ranger was getting his truck fixed had to have 3 NOX censors replaced cost 300 dollars just for parts :confused:

Guys with the newer Fords with coil pack ignition its costing them 500 dollars for tune ups.

SpruceLandscape
12-16-2006, 11:55 PM
I just switched over to a diesel a few months ago, and was in (it seems) a similar spot you are in. I had a 2005 Chevy W/T with the 6.0L v8, Crew cab 4x4. Truck averaged 12-13 in the city when not being worked. Averaged 9-11 when pulling a 3000lb. trailer. I also used this truck for snowplowing, and since i'm relatively new to the landscaping business, its also my personal vehicle, seeing approx. 18-22k miles a year. I only got a diesel because I found a dealership that was willing to pay off my chevy completely, and I got employee pricing on the new DODGE loaded, whereas chevy still wanted over 42000 for the same stripped out W/T that i had but with a diesel in it. For me it came out to be a numbers game. The chevy got the job done, everytime, as long as it wasn't in for stupid service related problems. However... after doing the math, with my mileage and roughly a 40-50cent difference in the cost of diesel over gas, I am still saving almost $95/ month because of the extra fuel mileage of the diesel and that is after the difference in payments. I didn't put anything more down on the dodge, just swapped out the trucks and carried over the little equity that I had in the Chevy (and I mean little). For my trouble, I was also able to negotiate in the extended bumper to bumper warranty for little over 1k. Yes, maintenance is more expensive on a diesel, unless you have been paying someone else to do it, you can save quite a bit by changing your own oil. Costs me under $50 when I buy oil from Costco and filters directly from Cummins instead of Dodge. All in all, I have a truck that will push more snow, pull more weight, is better outfitted, more efficient environmentally, and will hold its resale value alot better. Like I said, my Chevy got the job done, would still be getting the job done if I had it today, but I am happy with the move I made. Sorry for the long post. lol

K&M Lawn Care
12-17-2006, 04:11 PM
Go with the diesel if you can afford to. Sure they cost more upfront, but they also resale higher. Diesel prices at the pump are higher right now but that is because diesel and home heating oil are basically the same thing and the demand for heating oil in the winter forces the price up. The best prices for diesel fuel are during the summer, right when most of us can benefit from it the most.

Another reason I chose a diesel was so that I could run biodiesel. Biodiesel is better for the enviroment, helps to reduce our dependency on foreign oil, and helps American farmers.

BobcatBoy06
12-18-2006, 11:40 PM
If you are doing alot of heavy pulling or hauling I would go with the diesel for sure, if you are using the truck for a mowing truck I would stick with a gas motor. If you are interested in getting a dodge with a cummins I know a place in PA that has a super nice 01 cummins 5spd 4x4 with like 30000 on truck is super nice. You can all the place at 814-539-8282. You won't be disappointed in this truck. Tell them the Loveridge's told you about the truck.

Sincerely,

Bobcatboy06

bobcatboy
12-26-2006, 11:17 PM
I dont care how you slice it, diesel cost you more all the way around. The fill ups cost you, maintenance cost you, when that warenty runs out you might as well walk in the door backwards with your pants already pulled down. I prefer the gas I have a 2005 f-350 with the v-10. Yeah it dosent get the best gas mileage but it cost less pulls just as good and I can fill up anywhere not having to worry about adding anything to the tank. A properly set up on a gas motor will do the same job as diesel.

FIRESCOOBY
12-26-2006, 11:36 PM
I dont care how you slice it, diesel cost you more all the way around. The fill ups cost you, maintenance cost you, when that warenty runs out you might as well walk in the door backwards with your pants already pulled down. I prefer the gas I have a 2005 f-350 with the v-10. Yeah it dosent get the best gas mileage but it cost less pulls just as good and I can fill up anywhere not having to worry about adding anything to the tank. A properly set up on a gas motor will do the same job as diesel.

Diesel definately has it's place, and it's not for everyone.

With that said...there is no truth in saying that a gas burner will do the same job a oil burner will. You can take the money you save by purchasing a gas burner and throw some mods in a gas burner...and it still would be hard pressed to do the same. Also in doing that you are definately reducing the service life of a gas burner.

Just FYI, buddy of mine has a 2004 or 2005 F-250 V10 and he was hauling his New Holland tractor on a 18' trailer and I was pulling a Bobcat S250 on a 18' trailer. I was following him to his house and we hit this long grade on a 4 lane. We "were" going 70mph. He started slowing down and downshifted (he's got a louder than stock exhaust so I could hear he was really turning some RPM's). He was maintaining about 65mph. I pulled out and strolled by him and stayed in 5th gear (had tow-haul mode on and this locks out 6th gear). He admitted that his V10 falls on it's face with a heavy load and trying to maintain decent speeds on grades.

Not trying to start a war here, but saying that a gas truck will do the job as good as a diesel is just as ignorant as me saying that it doesn't cost anymore to maintain a diesel vs a gas burner. If all you're hauling is a light maintenance trailer...then you don't need a diesel. If you're hauling heavy and want a motor that will last...I'd prefer a diesel.

RedWingsDet
12-27-2006, 06:27 PM
I have a one ton with the v10. It does just fine. I have not yet to say "I wish I bought a Diesel". It does its job just fine, it does suck a little more gas, but oh well.

BTW: I pull around a 20ft enclosed iwth a few mowers and full of grass in the dump bed....

I also have put 2 pallets of sod in the bed (1400sq ft) with the 16ft dump trailer attached and another 2 pallets in the trailer. I did that for about 15-20 sod jobs this year and was fine pulling it all each time

bobcatboy
12-27-2006, 08:41 PM
Diesel definately has it's place, and it's not for everyone.

With that said...there is no truth in saying that a gas burner will do the same job a oil burner will. You can take the money you save by purchasing a gas burner and throw some mods in a gas burner...and it still would be hard pressed to do the same. Also in doing that you are definately reducing the service life of a gas burner.

Just FYI, buddy of mine has a 2004 or 2005 F-250 V10 and he was hauling his New Holland tractor on a 18' trailer and I was pulling a Bobcat S250 on a 18' trailer. I was following him to his house and we hit this long grade on a 4 lane. We "were" going 70mph. He started slowing down and downshifted (he's got a louder than stock exhaust so I could hear he was really turning some RPM's). He was maintaining about 65mph. I pulled out and strolled by him and stayed in 5th gear (had tow-haul mode on and this locks out 6th gear). He admitted that his V10 falls on it's face with a heavy load and trying to maintain decent speeds on grades.

Not trying to start a war here, but saying that a gas truck will do the job as good as a diesel is just as ignorant as me saying that it doesn't cost anymore to maintain a diesel vs a gas burner. If all you're hauling is a light maintenance trailer...then you don't need a diesel. If you're hauling heavy and want a motor that will last...I'd prefer a diesel.there are guys that pull alot of wieght with v-10s and have high mileage with no problems. I being one of those people. I have had heavy wieght behind my truck and It has never fallen flat on its face. By listening to your post your budy does not have 05 to current v10. There are many people who can attest to that

FIRESCOOBY
12-27-2006, 10:23 PM
I wasn't starting a war, just stating facts and experiences. His truck has the Torqueshift, whatever year that started.

Numbers don't lie though. The V10 makes 450 torque at 3200 rpms, diesels make peak torque at much lower (my truck makes 650 at 1600 rpm). I know the PSD is around 100 ;b lower on torque and makes it at 2k or above. That means to get max pulling power you gotta run at a MUCH higher engine speed to get what your truck has on tap. Not to mention my truck makes it at double idle speed with 200lb more.

I'm not a diehard GM guy, actually more of a diehard Toyota person. Just stating facts. That's why equipment and larger trucks are powered by diesel. GM is the only manufacturer that offers a gas burned in medium duty trucks...that is for a reason. My ride at work makes 525hp/1600 torque, moves 65,000 lbs ALL the time and gets 6 mpg while doing it.