PDA

View Full Version : Lifting an HD Chevy

Total.Lawn.Care
12-13-2006, 09:29 AM
I have a 2001 Chevy 1500HD 4X4 that I want to lift about 2". It is not alot, but will bring it to about the same ride height as our 4X4 Excursion. I have looked at Suspension Lifts and Body Lifts. Suspension lifts are expensive. I am afraid the Body lift will not look that good because the receiver hitch does nto go up with the truck. I ran across these http://www.truckn-store.com/product.asp?source=&ID=93379&returnURL=%2Fsearch%2Easp%3Fsearch%3Dkeyway&search=keyway and wondered if anyone has ever used them to lift a front suspension just a few inches. If these can work, then I can use them in the front, install lift blocks in the back and have a 2" suspension lift for just about $200 and not have to remount bumpers.

Have any of you used the Torsion Keys for extra lift and how did they work?

For others of you that have lifted a truck, what methods would you recommend?

Thanks

charmill26
12-13-2006, 04:16 PM
i've heard messing with the torsion bars tend to put extra stress on the front suspension. as far as blocks on teh back go that sounds fine. have you ever heard of add-a-leafs? its another leaf for the rear suspension and lifts the back 1-2" and stiffens it up a bit

Josh.S
12-13-2006, 04:25 PM
Why do you want to lift the truck? Its not going to make you any money..

milsaps118
12-13-2006, 04:27 PM
I'd get torsion keys for the front and crank 'em about 3-5 turns, and for the back you could even make your own blocks if you have access to a welder and can weld or just buy them. Remember you'll also need all new U bolts cuz your stockers will be to short. I did this before on one of my trucks and it ended up looking pretty good. Nice subtle change thats not to much but people notice.

Total.Lawn.Care
12-13-2006, 04:41 PM
Why do you want to lift the truck? Its not going to make you any money..
You are correct. However, this is a personal truck as well, I I like the way it looks. I will also need some extra lift when hunting because I will drive in to places that most people have to (or choose to) walk.

milsaps118, where did you get yoru torsion keys from? I have been looking online and have found a set for $59. I do not know the quality of them though. Also, did you have any alignment issues after putting in your key keys a crankn' them up?

milsaps118
12-13-2006, 06:35 PM
milsaps118, where did you get yoru torsion keys from? I have been looking online and have found a set for $59. I do not know the quality of them though. Also, did you have any alignment issues after putting in your key keys a crankn' them up?

My neighbor ordered them for me he does custom cars/trucks I'll ask him where from and let you know. Yes I had to get it aligned also it was off just a bit. Not a big deal though.

tthomass
12-13-2006, 08:26 PM
www.gm-trucks.com

cochino12
12-13-2006, 08:37 PM
Here is a link to some really good info

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65871