PDA

View Full Version : Vision 2 + & A Vermeer Brush Chipper =

koster_irrigation
12-13-2006, 07:04 PM
GOOD PLASTIC RECYCLING. :drinkup:

VISION 2 PLUS, GETS MY VOTE FOR WORST CONTROLLER EVER.

Homeowners love them, so simple to run. No telling how many ive hung on the wall and took down. I was in love with them at one time, theyve really let me down. I used to just throw them away, now ive started hording them at my shop.

Dials not responding, slide pointers not responding.

and the most hard to explain to a customer: "Your controller is in sleep mode"
The Photo light sensor beside the lcd wont let the controller turn back on, (sleep mode) screwing up. Shine a light on it, it'll wake up right? Tryed it. So, Not likely.

Am i right?

I was 100% Toro for almost 10yrs. Made the switch to rainbird clocks, valves and mist sprays.
I havent installed a toro clock in 3yrs.

RHayden
12-13-2006, 07:22 PM
Funny, we never had any problems with the Vision 1's but the 2's have been nothing but trouble from day one. As you say, dials and slides quit responding- particular trouble with the % slide. We have some Vision 1's that have operated trouble free for almost 10 years; but the 2's............

Went to Rainbird controllers almost exclusively as well about the same time as you and also have a nice little collection of Vision 2's we have swapped out.

irritation
12-13-2006, 07:27 PM
I was 100% Toro for almost 10yrs..
I switched about 10 yrs ago. Reasons?
EL series controllers
S-700
Flo-Pro
Vision
And other Toro junk that I had to go back and replace on unhappy customer's systems. :hammerhead:

koster_irrigation
12-13-2006, 08:20 PM
ahh yes, EL6+1 controller.

"The red light for manual operation is on, why isnt the system coming on??"

Dirty Water
12-13-2006, 08:33 PM
I hate Toro controllers.

We switched from the Irritrol Raindial to the Rainbird ESP about 4 years ago and have never looked back.

I just did a job where I replaced about 70 sprayheads on a crappy system. 90% of them were the old Hardie/Richdells and still working pretty good (I changed the zones to rotors, so out they went). The other 10% were Toro's and they had totally crapped out.

irritation
12-13-2006, 08:54 PM
Remember the solid state controllers that came out in the mid 80's.:laugh:
I think they were called the IC series. Took about a 1/2 hr to program and the slightest power surge would clear everything. It was nearly impossible for a homeowner to program.:dizzy:

jerryrwm
12-13-2006, 10:29 PM
Remember the solid state controllers that came out in the mid 80's.:laugh:
I think they were called the IC series. Took about a 1/2 hr to program and the slightest power surge would clear everything. It was nearly impossible for a homeowner to program.:dizzy:

Yeppers. And the run times were 1, 3, 5, 7, 12, 15, 20, 30 mins if I remember. And if that damn thing was in the sunlight you couldn't read the red LEDs. They were wonderful.

Anyone remember the Freetime 4? Now there was a controller. Still see them every now and again. Sometimes have to replace the motor.

koster_irrigation
12-14-2006, 07:43 AM
Moist O Matic.

Wet_Boots
12-14-2006, 10:02 AM
Freetime Fours were rock solid reliable. The only thing that could screw up was the spring-loaded mechanism that started a cycle, if the homeowner set all the zone times to zero, and then turned the manual start button. That would unwind the starting spring completely, and it would take about a day for the clock motor to rewind it. They printed up a tag to inform everyone not to do that.

Midlo Snow Maker
12-14-2006, 10:27 PM
vis 2 were the easiest and best controller until they modified them, 99% of the problem is the seasonal adjust button

bicmudpuppy
12-15-2006, 11:10 PM
They ought to make the R&D guys who designed the Toro Vision series go out and service flooded valve boxes w/ thier controllers all day for about a week. My greatest complaint is forgeting that I have a vision on site and sticking my hand in a wet box. I know, only 12 volts, but %^&*&^%% it still smarts. On the other hand, a Vision II is a pretty site on a large residential during blow out season. Set everything to 1 min. make sure A and B are on all zones, slide the percent to 200 and push manual start. Runs 4 times at one min/ zone. I get to do paper work, work on the rest of the days route, etc. for 30 min.