PDA

View Full Version : Pics of a Patio we Installed Today.

tjsquickcuts
12-13-2006, 10:45 PM
Here are a few before photos of a small project we knocked out today.....There was nothing but pinestraw underneath the deck.....

tjsquickcuts
12-13-2006, 10:50 PM
a few more......

tjsquickcuts
12-13-2006, 10:54 PM
More Before pics...

tjsquickcuts
12-13-2006, 11:00 PM
Some after pics.....we have to go back tomorrow to brush in more sand, and just to re-check and make sure all is level and done right. Check is already in the bank, customers love it.....Will do a island in the back yard and a walk way leading to the front lawn in March.....

ACutAbovesiny
12-13-2006, 11:33 PM
Kind of an odd place for a patio but the work looks good. What is the place used for?

VO Landscape Design
12-13-2006, 11:38 PM
tjsquickcuts---Do you like working with the large pavers? Nice work.
VO

tjsquickcuts
12-14-2006, 12:22 AM
Well its Phase I of III.....We are going to plant a few emeralds to add some privacy to the patio and a island on the back lawn, and Phase III is a walk way to the front, as well as a walk way to the nature trail his back yard is connected to.....But as far as location, I tried my best to sell them on another design, but the homeowner insisted it was what they wanted. It was a dinger installing, because we consistently had to keep checking our level for run off.

I love working with large pavers.....quicker to install, but much harder to cut. It took about 4 plates before I finally got one of the blocks to fit just right.....Thanks for the compliments.....will have a full year of landscape Design specializing in Hardscapes in Feb. I know I still have a lot to learn, but we have done a lot of jobs, that are really starting to get a lot of attention. This type of patio was first, but wont be the last because we already have 3 more sold to other homeowners in the neighborhood that didn't get the concrete slab from the builders......Will post more pics of other work when I take vacation in a week....

GreenMonster
12-14-2006, 09:08 AM
It looks like you excavated all of that by hand??? That couldn't have been fun.

From the pictures, here's a few comments:

It's hard to tell, but not sure how much native material you excavated. It looks a little shallow. We'll usually lay about 8" of compacted 3/4" CBR base for a patio, then sand, then pavers

One of the other pics, it looks like you did your entire base with sand? Again, I'm just commenting on what I see in the pic, which is lots of piles of sand, but I could be wrong.

I'm not a big fan of the slabs... to me, they kinda have a cheap look to them. I much prefer pavers. Again, some customers want the pavers, or it's a budget issue, but I always try to upsell pavers when someone wants the slabs. Not a big fan of those garden blocks either. Sorry.

I think the install looks ok, but it simply doesn't do a lot for me cuz I'm not a big fan of any of the hardscape materials you used.

What do you mean by "checking our level for run off"

Team-Green L&L
12-14-2006, 09:15 AM
Looks good but I have to comment on specifications and failures. As stated above, the excavation MUST be deep enough to accommodate 4" of aggregate, 1" of bedding sand, and 3" for the pavers. This is 8" of excavation. Because the soil is an organic clay (GA red clay) it could've used a geotextile or more aggregate to compensate. I know this means more work and a higher bid, but it also produces a proper product that will last the lifetime of the home and beyond.

Remember that all our failures reflect on the entire industry.

All-in-all it is a beautiful patio!

tjsquickcuts
12-14-2006, 02:25 PM
It looks like you excavated all of that by hand??? That couldn't have been fun.

From the pictures, here's a few comments:

It's hard to tell, but not sure how much native material you excavated. It looks a little shallow. We'll usually lay about 8" of compacted 3/4" CBR base for a patio, then sand, then pavers

One of the other pics, it looks like you did your entire base with sand? Again, I'm just commenting on what I see in the pic, which is lots of piles of sand, but I could be wrong.

I'm not a big fan of the slabs... to me, they kinda have a cheap look to them. I much prefer pavers. Again, some customers want the pavers, or it's a budget issue, but I always try to upsell pavers when someone wants the slabs. Not a big fan of those garden blocks either. Sorry.

I think the install looks ok, but it simply doesn't do a lot for me cuz I'm not a big fan of any of the hardscape materials you used.

What do you mean by "checking our level for run off"

Thanks for the feedback, I really do appreciate it.....As far as the base, missed the pics of the Portland and Coarse Concrete sand **recommended by my Pavestone supplier** being tilled together with the Red Clay**and boy is this Red Clay here in Ga tough**and being compacted....from my notes, we excavated, and yes all by hand and pick because of how small the area was we were working in. It didnt get too bad until about 5 inches down.....but anyway, we excavated about 8 inches. We filled in 4.5 inches of portland cement mixed with coarse concrete sand. Compacted down, and filled in with paver sand....put about 4 inches of paver sand, smooth everything out, and started laying down the stones.....as far as checking my level.....there is a slight slope so just had to keep it consistent for proper drainage...didnt want any puddling on the patio because of how the builders graded the land.....I guess I should have said drainage instead of run off. I know there a few things we will improve on, but to have less then one year of installing hardscapes, I think we are doing pretty good so far. We just got back from doing a second inspection, and taking a lot of notes for future jobs we have. Each plate is 16x16, and was much easier to work with in my opinion, but the smaller pavers do add more flavor.....

***Remember that all our failures reflect on the entire industry.***Team-Green L&L***

That is a great comment, about to print this out and post it in both my trucks....Well we gave the homeowner our standard 120 day warranty, and we stand behind all the work we do no matter what...(unless its something out of our control like mothernature when she is at her worst, etc...).....But the homeowner was excited and very happy. We are working on two more in the same neighbor as we speak....will post pics of those as soon as we are done......Just going to take us a few days because we are still running our regular lawn mtce schedule and trying to get everyone ready for xmas. But I posted the pics for feedback, so keep on feeding me so I can become one of the best if not the best...LOL.....:cool2: ...... But thanks again for your comments, and please believe I take advice because I am still sort of a student and still have a few more things to learn.....

GreenMonster
12-14-2006, 05:10 PM
Instead of constantly checking your grade for run-off, set-up stakes and mark final grade of base all the way around. Then pull your strings off these lines to grade your base, and set your screed rails to the same pitch.

tjsquickcuts
12-14-2006, 07:01 PM
Instead of constantly checking your grade for run-off, set-up stakes and mark final grade of base all the way around. Then pull your strings off these lines to grade your base, and set your screed rails to the same pitch.

If you look close enough, you can see its all stake out...but we were working in between the strings, so every so often someone hit it by mistake.......We used 5 line levels....I mean I may still be green, but I do have some idea on what we are doing......oh and I needed to keep the strings in place to make sure I was hitting all my marks.....But as you can see, everything is level, and even............but thanks for the feedback....

Dirty Water
12-14-2006, 07:09 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=69443&d=1166068528

That looks like a lot of dead recently laid sod?

Team-Green L&L
12-14-2006, 07:18 PM
Okay, here's my 2 cents:

4.5" of aggreagte + 4" of bedding sand + 3" of paver depth = 11.5" of excavation.

Bedding sand in excess of 1" is useless and may even be harmful. I'm not sure, but I would assume it would allow too many fines into the aggregate and cause settling over time.

Our warranty on paver work is 5 years and we stand behind that 110% which means (if your patio settles or shifts in 5 years we will fix it and refund 10% of the original cost).

My DVD player comes with a 1 year manufacturer's warranty.

To make me a believer in your work, you must be a believer first!

Don't let me get you down because it all comes with experience and training. I've made PLENTY of mistakes and so have my guys.

YardPro
12-14-2006, 07:55 PM
sorry to bust your chops on the base like the others, but is is wrong.....

whoever suggested that base construction to you should be shot....

the base should be 4"+ of 3/4 minus (ABC) compacted to 98% proctor density with a mechanical compactor.

then ONE INCH of bedding sand.

as for the string line suggestion... for the area between the stakes, criss cross the lines so that they form an "X" in the field area... this will allow you to have strings every 4" across the area, and then lines crossing between those. It iwll leave you with very small areas that cannot be checked with strings....

measure down from the strings

tjsquickcuts
12-14-2006, 08:45 PM
I hear all of you guys about the measurements, but what we measured off and excavated out workout out for us.....Compacting mashed down and flatten out the portland and coarse sand a little more then I thought it would. I might have over compensated with Paver sand just a little, but when we did the final compacting it all leveled out. The concrete Slab @ the basement door and the concrete slab on the bottom steps of the deck are not at the same height so had to take the into consideration. I mean I am sure a free standing patio is much easier, but I had to work with what the builder left. I am taking notes from each post, and I really appreciate you guys giving me feedback, just hope I am not coming off like a azzwhen i respond......Just answering some of the questions....but no matter who does the work, there is always going to be a flaw or something that someone else would have done different.
As far as the warranty, I have the homeowner as a reg. lawn mtce so if anything goes wrong, we will fix the problem. I am sure things happen, but I dont think we should have any shifting because of the edgers used to keep it in place. But I will have to reconsider my warranty. 5 years seems a bit long, but will think long and hard about that one.......Oh, and please dont think I am going to let this get me down.....I needed this....I knew I would get a little praise just for the work, but I knew the haters...J/K.....the pros would really steer me to my mistakes......I will have somemore close up pics tomorrow so I can get my chops busted one more time....LOL....But this is why i posted them on the site, and why we are doing a lot of small projects, so that when the really big ones come, it will be like clock work.....Now, as far as the grass, not my problem YET.....Builders build all year round here, and Bermuda sod is the grass of choice so this time of year, most is dormant before it even hits the ground good. The pieces near the patio were cut out while excavating the small wall area and relayed in that spot to help hide the landscape edging and to cover up the area we beat up while working.....But I am sure all of you guys have been where I am, so know that work will only get better, and the quaility will only improve.....:cool2: ....When my work is flawless, you think I am going to post it on here so yall can steal my design...:dizzy: .... lol....thanks again, and Team Green, can we keep the change?

tjsquickcuts
12-14-2006, 08:56 PM
Hey, and while yall are all throw'n stones at me, ...LOL....post a few pics of the excavated base....Visual aids always seem to work best....would be a big help also....thanks! And dont be scared....if you are as good as your word, then no one will bash your work....LOL....:laugh: .... about to have my 4th :drinkup: and sit back and wait on the pics to come flow'n

tjsquickcuts
01-02-2007, 12:39 PM
Been on xmas and new years vacation. Happy New year to all...here are a few more pics from the last couple of jobs we have done.

amscapes03
01-07-2007, 08:50 PM
where's the coping?

Travel'n Trees
01-07-2007, 09:15 PM
how much geogrid did that tall wall in back take?

Dirty Water
01-07-2007, 11:06 PM
how much geogrid did that tall wall in back take?

I doubt there is any. Those look like the Home Depot blocks that are "mass retaining" and not supposed to go over 4 ft.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=70251&stc=1&d=1167759072

Notice how close the wall is to the tree's up top. They didn't dig back into that hill much at all.

GreenMonster
01-08-2007, 07:27 AM
I would respectfully submit you look into some of the SRW systems available out there.

All of your srw work seems to be done with Home Depot garden blocks. They're not a quality product, and certainly not designed for tall retaining walls. The tallest wall, furthest from the camera shot is about 6' tall. You'd be looking at at least 3 grid pulls in the 4-6' range.

In that brick veneered house, even though you're using the garden blocks for their designed purpose, I would say that the product doesn't match the house well. Nice house, cheezy block, just doesn't work for me. I think a raised bed would have looked much nicer.

If you haven't figured it out, I don't like cheap Home Depot (or any supplier) garden block.

tjsquickcuts
01-08-2007, 09:12 AM
As far as the coping, I had it on the proposal, but the customer didnt want it, they said it really took them out of their budget....(this was actually a learning experience, because I no-longer quote that separately).....

As far as the geog-rid question, yes geog-rid was used.....The blocks were ordered and delivered from the Pavestone Dist....and the choice of block was for look and curb appeal, not really to hold the hill in place.....The builder had it sloped down, so all I really had to do was excavate for my base, back fill with not much excavation having to be done.....We used a 6x131 role of Geo-grid....with the first layer on that 6’ high wall we used a 4’ long pieces going back into the hill at heights of 1½’, 3’ and at 4½’. I used crushed stones for my back fill....I mean I have said before, I am still a beginner, but I do follow directions well and think all my work is quality, and well constructed....You can only get so much out of a picture. The Versa Lock blocks are heavy, and imo would have been too big and really took away from the curb appeal, but thats jmo....

As far as the blocks around the retaining wall, if only you could see it in person....The island was done from scratch, and the color choice was because it hits the brick trim perfect, and I used Red with a hint of black lava Rocks to match the bricks. I am a Landscaper that has ventured into Hardscapes....I know I have plenty to learn before trying to tackle a 30ft tall wall, but you have to begin somewhere. I am doing something right, because my calendar is booked through April with Hardscape installs....I am going to post so pics of a home I have to do a proposal for, but I am lost at what I can do, in order to pull off what I am planning.....Thanks for the in-put guys....