PDA

View Full Version : 1972 Ford F700

RedWolf
12-13-2006, 11:20 PM
Hey guys. I got the chance to buy a ford F700 5 yard dumptruck. It has a rebuilt W351 motor the tranny and rearend have also been rebuilt. He has new tires on it and the breaks have been redone. The cab is rotted out but i have a cab for it.He wants 500 for it and i took it for a drive and other then the cab the truck is in great shape. I would like to know should i get the truck or pass it up. I`m only going to haul mulch with it.

Gravel Rat
12-13-2006, 11:28 PM
The trucks is old buy the time you get the sucker road ready you could have bought another truck. Its not worth it and I doubt it has a 351 unless somebody put that engine into the truck. Those old Fords come with 330-361-391 or 401.

LindblomRJ
12-13-2006, 11:32 PM
The price is not bad... It is a 35 year old truck. I like old trucks. If you could have a road worthy truck for $2000 or less it would okay. Thats in my humble opinion.

RedWolf
12-13-2006, 11:44 PM
The guy used the truck up till a week ago when he got a bigger dump. It passed the last the FL DOT check the first of this month and he showed me proof that every thing was done. I have a rebuilt 391 that i would be putting in it. My old IH loadstar shi* the bed and knowing the ford past to DOT check Im really thinking about buyin it.

Gravel Rat
12-14-2006, 12:51 AM
If the truck is certfied then it should be okay usually when somebody is selling a truck here for 500 dollars its junk.

Just be carefull old trucks like that usually become expensive then things start failing.

RedWolf
12-14-2006, 03:18 AM
Yea my guys used to call the Loadstar the deathtrap. It had 1/2 a inch of play in the wheel and the kingpins in the fronteand where shot.The frame let go and snaped clean in half so i need another truck.

FearThisDeere
12-14-2006, 10:04 AM
For $500 for a "road ready" truck is suspicious, but if you are in a tight spot it might be money well spent. As long as you don't sink tons into it.

Mike33
12-14-2006, 10:57 PM
DOT will love , and your state also for all the fine money they are going to receive. You can not afford to keep these trucks on the road. I learned the hard way.
Mike

RedWolf
12-15-2006, 12:24 PM
Well guys the deal feel threw. Someone got there and paid him 1000 for it so.My friend has a 75 F350 flatbed dump he is selling me for 350. It needs a rearend but other then that it runs like a bear and the dump works great.If i was hualing dirt or rock I would look for a bigger truck but all its going to be is a mulch truck. He has the rearend and if anyone else buys it he will put the rearend in it and ask 750. Hie old lady told him to get rid of the truck so thats why he is selling it to me so cheap.

LindblomRJ
12-15-2006, 12:51 PM
Good luck. Lets see some picture when you get it home.

RedWolf
12-15-2006, 08:09 PM
The old beast needs some body work but the whole front eand and breaks have been redone. A new PTO hydro pump and lines. the onlt thing is it was some roofing trash in the back of it from doing his roof but its cool.He will pay the dump fee. He has the drums and shoes so it will have new breaks. The only thing that woorise me is that it has split rims. He has a full set of soild rims he is going to throw in for me and a set of used tires.The dam tires he is giving me look brand new