PDA

View Full Version : anti scalp wheels

Accu-cut Lawn Care
12-15-2006, 06:33 PM
Almost all of the anti scalp rollers are messed up on my 2760 xr-7. Are they under warranty?

mowerconsultant
12-15-2006, 08:01 PM
Messed up? please explain...
Have you talked to your dealer about it?

Pj

Accu-cut Lawn Care
12-15-2006, 08:26 PM
Messed up? please explain...
Have you talked to your dealer about it?

PjOne is missing, one has a bent bolt, one has a broken colar and just flops around. I have only had this machine for 9 months. On my 4 year old 2352, all of my anti-scalp wheels are original and intact. Does it have something to do with the weight of the deck???Also, can the spring on the deck lifter be adjusted to make the deck "lighter" and easer to pick up?

No, I haven't talked to Dooley yet- But plan on getting my machines serviced soon. It's no big deal...I'd just like to know.
thanx

mowerconsultant
12-19-2006, 04:13 PM
Where are your wheels set? it sounds like they are set to low and they are getting damaged from getting hit.
The springs can be adjusted, you need to be careful making the adjustment, as it could change your deck pitch and levelness.

markindetroit
12-19-2006, 05:20 PM
I put my mower away for the winter. However on my Super Z 60" I noticed the outer front anti-scalp wheels to be digging into the ground on zero turns mostly all the time. This obviously leaves dug out marks in my lawn plus I would think that this is where the pressure could snap and bend the bolt. I have adjusted them into the middle setting now ( from the lowest ) and will see if this take care of the problem. It is just my suppostion that the wheels ( regardless of the setting ) really aren't helping to lift the deck and prevent scalping, except perhaps in really firm ground ( which leaves out the grass around here which is way soft ). So others may be breaking/bending because the wheels are not lifting the deck but rather forcing the wheels into the ground.

Accu-cut Lawn Care
12-30-2006, 01:26 PM
Where are your wheels set? it sounds like they are set to low and they are getting damaged from getting hit.
The springs can be adjusted, you need to be careful making the adjustment, as it could change your deck pitch and levelness.

They are not set in an aggressive position. If I had them any higher, the corners of my deck would become my new anti-scalp system. I just want to know if they are covered by my warranty or not. Thanks and Happy New Year.

mowerconsultant
01-02-2007, 11:17 AM
They are not set in an aggressive position. If I had them any higher, the corners of my deck would become my new anti-scalp system. I just want to know if they are covered by my warranty or not. Thanks and Happy New Year.

This is something your dealer has to look at and determine.
Talk to Dooley and see what they have to say and if they have any questions they can call us.

Pj

Mickhippy
01-22-2007, 08:19 PM
I think "anti scalp" wheels is the wrong name for them things as they dont do anything but help lift the deck over obstacles. NEVER have I seen them stop scalping but they have lifted the deck over roots etc. (talking outer corner and middle wheels here. I have some under the deck at the rear and do believe they work))
True anti scalp are there wheels you see on CUT or larger tractor belly mowers. There swivel and follow the contours of the ground like a front mount deck.

Basically, IMO, forget about them as anti scalp and put them in a setting that is level with the front edge or corner of the deck but not below. I have the older style deck and there in the middle hole. Am thinking of putting them back into the highest setting.
My SZ is coming up to 700hrs and have only replaced one bolt due to a hill side screw up.

Should think of these wheels as expendable as its better to damage them as opposed to the deck!

cbelawn
01-22-2007, 10:15 PM
The first year i bent and broke wheels and bolt often enough that at the begining of last year i bought 6 sets. My dealer thought i was nuts but i think the speed, roots, and other crap i hit was part of the problom. i think they were 6 bucks a wheel so it was not a big deal. I do have to tighten some of them every few weeks. peace