PDA

View Full Version : Bigger tires?

qualitylawnmanagement
12-15-2006, 08:10 PM
I am running 285's on my truck and was wonder how much that set off my speedo?

qualitylawnmanagement
12-15-2006, 09:10 PM
anyone? I need to because I got speedy ticket and I need to know before I go to court.

KrayzKajun
12-15-2006, 09:42 PM
maybe set you off by one or two mph, i upgraded to a 36" tire and it offset my speedometer by 7mph, so when it says im doin 30 im really doin 37

charmill26
12-15-2006, 09:56 PM
i may have read somewhere 5-8% or so. im pretty sure that was for the 285s. i know here in omaha if you get a ticket and you had bigger tires put on the truck than the stock ones you can get out of the ticket i believe. you just have to go get your speedometer reset and show it to them i think?

Josh.S
12-15-2006, 10:31 PM
anyone? I need to because I got speedy ticket and I need to know before I go to court.

Well the only thing I think is to find the circumference of your tire, find the circumference of the stock tires, and subtract the difference. Put the difference into percent, and that would be the percent that your speedometer is off.

By the way, how fast were you going in what zone? and on what rode?

I got a speeding ticket on cable rd near walmart for 52 in a 35, my speedometer was off but I knew I was speeding so I just went to the JDC, signed the waiver and paid the ticket...

That is what I suggest you do, and it might not even get back to your insurance (mine didn't), plus no court costs...

smalley360
12-16-2006, 02:38 AM
Here you go qualitylawnmanagement. This should help you to calculate the tire size/speed from the orriginal.
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalcold.html

mosmgras
12-16-2006, 09:02 PM
New tire diameter divided by old tire diameter = percentage of change.

Ex.

New tire 33" diameter, old tire 30" diameter:

33/30= 1.1 - that translates to 1.1 times whatever your speedometer says.

In this case, speedo says 60 mph, you're traveling 66 mph.

Hope this helps.

qualitylawnmanagement
12-16-2006, 10:28 PM
Well the only thing I think is to find the circumference of your tire, find the circumference of the stock tires, and subtract the difference. Put the difference into percent, and that would be the percent that your speedometer is off.

By the way, how fast were you going in what zone? and on what rode?

I got a speeding ticket on cable rd near walmart for 52 in a 35, my speedometer was off but I knew I was speeding so I just went to the JDC, signed the waiver and paid the ticket...

That is what I suggest you do, and it might not even get back to your insurance (mine didn't), plus no court costs...

Well I figured it out, It is 6 mph difference, so when I was doing 50mph it showed I was 56. I was on my way to the pub heading on breeze not the 35mph zone but heading away from Shawnee, and my radar detector was going off so I didn't do anything cause I was thinking it was picking up a senors at a store so I kept't going and all of sudden I see a cop so I slam on my brakes and he clocked me doing 58mph in a 45mph so he pulled me over. Well from my accident I got a ticket for not staying assured clear distance, and this is my second ticket so I lost them for 3 months. What makes me mad is cop do this stuff by stores so people with radar detectors think it a sensor in the store and the clock you for speeding when you think it isn't a cop.

qualitylawnmanagement
12-16-2006, 10:29 PM
Here you go qualitylawnmanagement. This should help you to calculate the tire size/speed from the orriginal.
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalcold.html

Well thanks alot. It did help me out.

qualitylawnmanagement
12-16-2006, 10:34 PM
Well here is my solution for cheating my way out of ticket, I am going to get a set of 305 tires from my buddy so it puts it 10mph more then my speedo would of said 50mph and I really would of been doing 60mph so if I can get it fixed and take the papers to the judge and show my a 50 in a 45 I think I should be clear. This is what one of my Buddy's who is a cop and told me to do this.

DBL
12-16-2006, 10:45 PM
ok you go and get the speedo fixed for the 305 tires then its really going to set it off when you put your old ones back on and youll be right back in this situation

qualitylawnmanagement
12-16-2006, 10:52 PM
ok you go and get the speedo fixed for the 305 tires then its really going to set it off when you put your old ones back on and youll be right back in this situation

I really don't mind having to go back twice to switch it back to 285s from 305. Its just the mer fact I want to scam theses cops like do to us, by pulling people over by stores that sensors in them and you don't slow down.

Josh.S
12-16-2006, 11:34 PM
I really don't mind having to go back twice to switch it back to 285s from 305. Its just the mer fact I want to scam theses cops like do to us, by pulling people over by stores that sensors in them and you don't slow down.

I know your pissed off about the stores and stuff (even though a lot of states don't allow radar detectors), but your going like 13 over the speedlimit when he clocked you, so you probably deserved the ticket (no offence, I deserve more tickets than I have gotten) None the less, I hope you can get out of it.

mag360
12-17-2006, 11:56 AM
maybe set you off by one or two mph, i upgraded to a 36" tire and it offset my speedometer by 7mph, so when it says im doin 30 im really doin 37

If at 30 you're going 37mph, then at 60 you would be going 74mph.

Quality lawn, just apologize and ask the judge for the minimum fine. You really shouldn't lie "under oath" so to speak. I've had one or two stupid ones and the ticketing officer has just given me the minimum fine.
I once raced a cop. He got a kick out of it and I got a ticket.:rolleyes: