PDA

View Full Version : Deck-overs

Total Landscape Solutions
12-15-2006, 10:49 PM
Anyone have experience hauling with a deck-over trailer.

I have never hauled with one. All my experiences have been with standard "bob-cat" or "equipment" trailers with wheel wells that stand above the deck. I have a lot of experience hauling in the 13 years doing landscape work with light-duty and medium-duty trucks. I have a CDL and have hauled up to 35,000lbs.
I really like the idea of a deck-over though. For hauling multiple skids of pavers, stone, etc. the loading/unloading would be so much easier with out the wheel wells in the way.
My only concern is a higher center of gravity. It is noticeable. Does the trailer "sway" more. I obviously have no clue I'm just guessing.
I also noticed the axles are more toward the rear than "bobcat" trailers. I'm guessing this is to increase tounge weight. Anyone really know why? Or am I way off base?
I think I could use up to an 8ton trailer. With a GVW weight of about 11,000lbs. empty after the up-fit, I still have 22,000lbs to max GCVWR. I figure with an 8 ton load on the trailer, plus the weight of the trailer, I'll be close. I was thinking of an 18' deck (not including beaver tail).
Any thoughts from those experienced with hauling/towing?
Really contemplating a deck-over for the F550 coming next year.
Found out yesterday the up-fitter is 1/2 way done :clapping:

Lawnworks
12-15-2006, 11:33 PM
I think deck overs might be a good idea... although I have no idea how they pull. I am about to buy a skid in the next month or so... and I think the deck over would be better for pallet materials also. I would want as long of a deck as possible 20 feet or so... at some point I guess it becomes difficult in cul-de-sacs.

Total Landscape Solutions
12-16-2006, 12:34 AM
What kind of truck are you using, will you be over 26,000lbs GCVW? If so, you'll need a CDL to be legal.

gammon landscaping
12-16-2006, 01:09 AM
i pull a skid on a 24 foot gooseneck deck over everyday . aslong as the culdesacks are of legal size i have no problems and can do it with out backing up. they handle fairly well you might have to worry about the high center of gravety 5% of the time . mainly when loading and unloading on the side of a hill ( it is a lot longer fall if you slide of the side of the trailer.

love mine though

danno
12-16-2006, 01:20 AM
I haul my track loader on a 25' 25k# deckover. I got one for the very reason you are contemplating. I can load many pallets on top and more importantly, remove them at the site. I think it pulls better than the common variety. The trailer alone is 6000# plus the the loader @ 9500#. The axles further back keep the trailer from swaying. As far as center of gravity, never an issue other than the weight you don't know it is there. I have driven at least 4 times with the lock for the tongue box lying on the frame rail unhooked and gone 50 miles only to arrive back at the yard and it is still sitting right where I left it. Very smooth ride. Think about a pintle hitch if you are going to move up in truck. You won't have to move up in trailer too. Good luck.

BSDeality
12-16-2006, 01:24 AM
I normally tow a 16-20' equipment trailer when I rent skid steers. One time this summer I had to rent a different trailer which was deck over axle. I do prefer the deck over's now because of the narrower wheel width. Our roads around here are narrow and windy, so its much preferred to have a narrower width on the axles.

RockSet N' Grade
12-16-2006, 01:43 AM
Total....I had a trailer built to haul my track hoe. Tandem axle deck over. I had them increase the axle to 12,000 lb ea, but still have the trailer rated at 20,000 lb.....builders idea, something about registration and taxes over 24k here. My bed is 20' with beaver and fold down ramps. I wish I would have put helper springs on the ramps, they are kinda heavy. We mounted underbody tool boxes on the trailer. If I was to do it again, I would get one a bit longer. I love my rig and pintle hitch system. Don't notice any noticable difference between the two types of trailers, in fact, when I have a choice I take this one from the yard vs. the others. Another idea.....the open I beam area between the trailer and hitch was open. I put in a floor and top door and now keep long tools in that otherwise wasted space.

Scag48
12-16-2006, 05:25 AM
You will notice a higher center of gravity yes, but if loaded properly over the axles the sway won't be so bad. You still need to take it easy/easier around corners than you would with a drop axle trailer as they can tip over. Take even more precautions if you get off in the sticks where the wheels might drop into a hole. Seen a Cat 315 excavator roll off a trailer once after one side of the trailer dropped into a hole. Not pretty.