PDA

View Full Version : Mid Mount VS Front Mount

tru cut
06-26-2001, 09:23 PM
Iwould like to know how meny of you are using front mounts and why. I'am thinking of changing to a front mount. I now have a JD 665 mid but I feel there is to much weight over the rear tires causing them to leave ruts even after just one pass.With me at 6'7" 240lbs and the engine rite over the weels i would say thats a lot of weight where as with a front mount the weight should be more spread out and also thay seem to have wider tires both on the drive and caster.

gene gls
06-26-2001, 09:45 PM
I run a Walker 48" GHS unit 20 HP.The unit is lighter than most,frame is flexable, the deck tilts up for service of blades, rear discharge so you can trim cut on either side of deck, better vission of deck for mowing,can mow under tree limbs further than you can reach with a hand trimmer. Most Walker decks are interchangeable. I also have a 62" SD deck for large open areas. Looking to get another power unit for the 62" deck so I don't have to keep changing decks.

Gene

BLakin01
06-26-2001, 09:47 PM
I have run both the mid and front mounts, and I would have to say that I prefer the front better. Like you said, better weight displacement.

Brandon

TLS
06-26-2001, 10:54 PM
What front mount are you considering? That makes a lot of difference. I used to have a JD F-935 and find that I am at least doubling my efficiency with my Lazer. Unless you go with a Walker, a front mount of any other will be a step backwards in maneuverability. The Walkers are small and compact, and if you like to bag, there is no comparison. My Lazer is Liquid cooled and thus a couple hundred pounds heavier than a standard AC Lazer. I find no more rutting when wet due to its large wide drive and caster tires. I would demo whatever you are thinking of trading up to before you buy. I think you should stay with what you got because it is probably the fastest and most maneuverable maching that JD sells.

David Gretzmier
06-26-2001, 11:14 PM
sorry- but I don't care for walkers or most front mounts, and I've owned several. You will meet more people who went from front to mid and say they make more $$$ and the folks who go mid to front do so because of attatchments or ride. I've had both and will put up with the ride to get the $$$. I rutted more with fronts because thier is more weight to swing on the tail, and traction is always better when the weight is over the drive wheels. good luck. Dave g

awm
06-26-2001, 11:16 PM
its been a while but if i had run my old front mount as fast as i do my lazer,the deck would have bounced like a basketball.
not saying newer fronts cant cut fast but i can cut at 9 mph
and leave a smooth cut.it also trims better than any mower ive owned.
if i went front i think it would be walker with side discharge.
im sure some fellas learn their front mt well enough to convince them its the best.learning the machine is really the key.IMHO
BY THE WAY MINE IS A 96 LAZER SO ITS NOT THE FASTEST MIDMOUNT
OUT THERE.

Alan
06-26-2001, 11:23 PM
I'm running a Lazer Z Exmark, mid mount. Tried a couple others and found that front mounts on the zero turn design will not hold hills like the mid mount will. The "backwards tractor" design front mounts will hold hills but are not nearly as nimble as the zero turn designs (Grasshogger, Walker, Woods). I don;t see any appreciable rutting from the drive tires on my machine and the newer Lazers have wider tires yet.

swn
06-26-2001, 11:58 PM
I have trying to decide if I want to get a mid mount or stay with the outfront, grasshopper. I demoed a midmount grasshopper today. It was fast!! But as to be expected the ride was not as good. As awm said, learning the machine is the key. I am used to the outfront, so of course the midmount felt a little awkward at first, but it was fast and also left a nice smoothe cut.

David Gretzmier
06-27-2001, 12:07 AM
our midmount grasshopper has been to the shop alot, along with the frontmount. you need to have good dealer support as these things break. they cut great, but we are moving away from them in spite of a wonderful dealer. take a look at the midmounts plastic hydraulic resovoir. yes PLASTIC. and yes it broke. the levers in the back on the pumps- that breaks ALOT. and the pto's seem to go about every 200 hours without running double blades. I could go on, but I am sick and tired of fixing these things when they are less than a year old each. and these are the kubota and kubota gas ones, the "good" ones. sorry to rain on your choice, and I hope you get a good one. I've had 5 bad ones out of 5. no more for me. Dave g

tru cut
06-27-2001, 08:45 PM
If i go ot a front mount i would probley look at the new JD 1435 the dealer just got one in as soon as its set up i will try it. the only reason for JDis there is not any other dealers for any thing else around I live in the sticks nearest city is 2hrs.Also does any one know what the widest tire is.Right now it has 23x10.5x12 I have seen alot of the new mids have 24x12x12 is there any thing wider?

TLS
06-27-2001, 09:01 PM
Trucut,

If ruts are what you are trying to avoid, the 1400 series will be a disapointment in that area. They are just too heavy for a residential/commercial (lawn) area. Those extra tires will only get you stuck quicker. My Lazer has 24x12x12's and I have yet to get it stuck (not that I've been trying!).

captdevo
06-29-2001, 03:32 PM
I run Walkers!!

I have not found any mower (front or mid) that will hold a hill better than my Walker MTSD52" 26EFI with a/t tires, and i demo new equipment all the time. (other than specialty self leveling machines)

"follow me and i'll buy it"

it's real hilly around the river here, and i have no problem.

If you mow mostly flat smooth ground, demo the Dixie Choppers, they are about the best for your money.

I recently bid 12 acres of flat open ground, if it comes through, i'll be a proud DC owner for this property.

If it's hilly and alot of manuevering, try a Walker.

You'll be impressed!

JLC
06-29-2001, 04:05 PM
I've never demoed a Walker, but every other front mount I've tried just can't run the hills. This is why a bought a midmount. Sure going down them is a little scary every now and then, but the machine has more hill ability than I do nerve. I dont see how front mount can do that. Maybe I should demo a Walker.

captdevo
06-29-2001, 04:23 PM
JLC

Call Max or Greg at Country Pines (641) 752-1393

They'll be more than happy to show you what a Walker Mower will do.

awm
06-29-2001, 04:28 PM
capt devoe,i feel the same way about my lazer and hills.
course i have to ad front wts to get the steep ones.
if we lived close enough we could have some fun.
by the way you new ztr owners please dont get hurt trying to do stuff you arnt ready for yet.later

MOW ED
06-29-2001, 06:40 PM
I'm with Capt Devo.
I have had steep hills for the last 6 years and my Walker 26Efi with the 42" GHS and no catch deflector works for me. I don't know if it will for you but give it a demo if you can and try it out. I also have a Toro 44"SFS walk behind and I have used it on the hills but it is slow and my sack is dragging when I am done. I have learned how to use the Walker and when it is dry (KEY word= DRY) I cant be beat on these hills. When it is wet, me and Toro have a date.
I have regular turf tires on ot and it still holds real well. I get better traction in reverse on some streatches because of the deck being light but I have learned how to use the machine to my advantage.
As Capt Devo said, If you have big and relatively flat then Dixie is for you, DEMO whatever you want and decide for yourself. Only you can be the judge, and its your money not mine.Good Luck.

WILSON BROS.
06-29-2001, 06:49 PM
We have run Grasshoppers for years. They have some benifits. Trimming under trees, quicker turns ( than our mid-mounts). But they have their downside to. The deck out front will stick you and quick if your not careful. Hills are not a problem, if you know your mower. We mow side to side with the hoppers and up and down with the Bobcats. My experience if you must go up a hill with a front mount, turn around back up the hill. The rear end will raise but it will go up.
By the way we are switching to all mid mount. More production, less cost? Have been demoing a Dixie all week. Nice mower all I need is wings.

JLC
06-29-2001, 10:21 PM
Captdevo,

I know Max and Greg well. I buy all my handhelds from them. Their service is exceptional. If they are home they are open! Great guys to work with. They've got a new GHS with 26 efi...so tempting. Maybe one day I'll have to demo a Walker. I know they cut great but I just have been turned off to the front mounts in general. Maybe more because I just haven't run a good one.

EJK2352
06-30-2001, 02:32 AM
Tru cut,
I'd stick w/ your Deere. I have a friend w/ an older 60" Lazer that
had 23-10.50-12 Turf Mate tires. His machine would get stuck & would
rut. We switched to 24-12-12 Turf Savers and that baby goes through
just about anything & doesn't rut anymore. The only thing we had to
do was re-level the deck,it was 1/2" high in the rear. I'd try the
wider tires, I think you will see a BIG improvement, I know we did.
ED