PDA

View Full Version : Toro 60" ZTR ; Air Cooled or Liquid Cooled

Mowingman
06-26-2001, 10:25 PM
My dealer has a couple of Toro 62" midmount ZTR's he wants to sell real bad. Price seems right on both, but I don't know which one will be the most dependable and do the best job. One has a 23hp Kohler air-cooled engine. The other has the new 26hp? liquid cooled engine. I have had good luck with my 22hp Kohlers,and have heard all the stories about the 25hp's. I don't know anything about the 22hp eng. or the new liquid cooled eng. Anyone here know anything about these 2 engines. I can't afford to make a $7500 + mistake. What are the pros and cons? Thanks.:confused:

lawrence stone
06-26-2001, 10:37 PM
What are BOTH prices?

Mowingman
06-26-2001, 11:10 PM
I left the qoutes down at my shop, but I believe the approx. prices quoted are as follows: 23hp air cooled - $7750.00
26hp liquid cooled -$8050.00
It seems like a pretty good price for this area.

TLS
06-26-2001, 11:23 PM
Mowingman,

Unless I'm missing something, the Liquid Cooled is a 27 hp Kawasaki NOT a 26hp. If it truely is a 26hp it may be the EFI Kohler air cooled. Anyway, get the liquid cooled as that seems like a good price! Only $300 extra!

David Gretzmier
06-27-2001, 12:32 AM
this may be the new 23 horse liquid cooled kohler. get the kawasaki liquid cooled engine from toro. don't buy a kohler unless you have no other choice, or it's on a chopper. Dave g

slabpile
06-27-2001, 07:16 AM
when i got mine this spring i went with more power. also the efi uses less gas/ i can mow about 30 hrs on 12 gal of gas. also i am mowing schools so the mower is on all the time, seems to be doing fine.

PrimeGreen Lawn
06-27-2001, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by slabpile
when i got mine this spring i went with more power. also the efi uses less gas/ i can mow about 30 hrs on 12 gal of gas. also i am mowing schools so the mower is on all the time, seems to be doing fine.

How did you get into the school system mowing? Just curious. There about 20 schools within 10 square mile radius in my town. Seems like a gold mine opportunity.

Scott

Eric ELM
06-27-2001, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by slabpile

30 hours on 12 gallons of gas is unreal. That is just a fuzz over a quart an hour about 3 times more fuel efficiant than a diesel and 6 times more than my 22 hp Kohler. I had no idea that the efi was that good on gas. Are you sure on these numbers? Is anyone else getting this kind of numbers on an EFI?

SemiPro
06-27-2001, 10:47 AM
That price for the liquid cooled seems awfully low. I just payed $8999 for mine. It comes standard with the full suspension seat and the foot deck lift assist which is about $550 worth of options not including the much bigger engine.

slabpile
06-27-2001, 01:58 PM
sorry ELM. i get three 10 hour work days out of it. it is however mowing a large portion of the time. as far how i got into the school got lucky(at least i think it was) and knew the right person

Scag48
06-27-2001, 03:48 PM
Slabpile-I agree, that seems a bit high. In your 10 hour day, are you counting in travel time? Lunch? Breaks? With all that it could end up being maybe 8 hours a day, reducing your time to like 24 hours. On my 18 Kohler Magnum, I get 6 hours on a 6 gallon tank. I know it's not the same engine, but that estimate is extremely high!
Prime Green-There's some guys that mow our high school and elementary school. I want to get in on it! Seems like they pay lots of $$$!

Avery
06-27-2001, 06:40 PM
I think those prices are way high Mowerman. We can buy the 62" Z-master air cooled all day long for $6100.00. Don't think that dealer is doing you much of a favor!

accuratelawn
06-27-2001, 09:56 PM
The guys that mow schools in my area get $14 per acre....not a gold mine.

Mowingman
06-27-2001, 10:58 PM
Thanks everyone for the feedback. After reading your replies I talked to a couple of the mechanics at the dealership. I have known these guys for 10 years and wanted their opinion also, as it seemed that most here leaned toward the liquid cooled or EFI engines. The mechanics recommended I stick with the air-cooled 23hp Kohler. They feel that all the bugs are not yet worked out of the newer "high tech" engines. Also they said from their experience, the 1 cyl Kawi's are great, but the twin cyl. Kawis are prone to problems and warranty is tough to get. I have decided to go with the 23hp Kohler.
Avery, we have 3 Toro dealers here and I have never seen a 60" Z sold that cheap. They had a winter special once at 7500.00. I wish I was buying over in your neck of the woods.
School Mowing: I call the vatious local school Admin. offices and ask to be placed on their bidder list. I have not won a bid yet, but I'll keep trying. Around here that type mowing goes for about 20.00/acre.

slabpile
06-28-2001, 07:40 AM
I dont have to bid on the schools. I was talking to the superintendant and the buisness manager and some how it came out that iwas getting down with the company i was working for then. Next thing i know we created a Grounds Maintanace position for the whole dictrict. I could not be in biz for my self for what they are paying and the benney's. Gave them a list of Equipment i needed and i got most this year adn the rest next. also getting my pestaside lic through them. worked out well i thought, dont have to search for work all year.

TotalLawn
06-29-2001, 02:51 AM
I just bought a new 62" toro, liquid cooled, 23 hp kawi for $7300. It might be worth a 4 hour drive to save $700.