PDA

View Full Version : Check out the new side boards on my truck...

Stafford Landscaping
12-16-2006, 02:21 PM
I built new side boards for my truck this week. I think they would look good if I just stain them natural. Anybody got any other suggestions?

metro36
12-16-2006, 03:23 PM
I would just put a natural high traffic deck stain on there. Should make it look good and help the wood last longer.

BTW: What kind of wood did you use?

Lawn Enforcer
12-16-2006, 07:59 PM
Nice truck. Yep, I would just stain 'em so the natural color stays, it looks good. How big is the flatbed, and how much mulch can you haul with the high boards you used to have?

tnmtn
12-16-2006, 08:44 PM
nice job, looks good

Uranus
12-16-2006, 08:45 PM
I'd go black. why only 18" or so? You could hold more with higher sides

Stafford Landscaping
12-16-2006, 08:47 PM
Nice truck. Yep, I would just stain 'em so the natural color stays, it looks good. How big is the flatbed, and how much mulch can you haul with the high boards you used to have?

I used pressure treated pine. And the sides that I had before Was the same as the new, but I had made another set that fit on top of them when I haul mulch but I have'nt made the upper piece for the new sides yet.
With the upper sides on the old set I could haul about 12 yards of mulch
the bed is 12ft long

Lawnworks
12-16-2006, 09:10 PM
I like that truck... simulators really pick it up. I have a 12' flatbed and I painted my side boards black to match the bed.

RedMax Man
12-17-2006, 11:19 AM
Paint those side boards black and then it will really look sharp. Nice looking truck for it's age.

Stafford Landscaping
12-17-2006, 12:27 PM
Paint those side boards black and then it will really look sharp. Nice looking truck for it's age.

Ya it's an 85 the inside is clean no tears or rips in the seats or the dash nothing broken or torn up everything works as it should. I have thought about buying a newer truck with a diesel but I can't justify a newer one this one runs great it got the 460 engine 4 speed and it pulls like a mule. I bought this truck for $4500.00 and it works just the same as a new truck so I just can't bring myself to upgrade just yet.

Tadams
12-17-2006, 12:38 PM
If ya got the extra money I would look into having the sidesdone in Line-X or Rhino liner. I don't know if it would stick to the wood or not but I like that stuff. I bought my step son a jeep and the floor and sides were done in it. So far it has been very durable. If ya don't do that, then paint it black to match the bed.

SLC, LLC
12-18-2006, 12:47 PM
i just recently did the same thing on my flatbed. i made two sets - one set is shorter, and then the other is taller that i put on there when i need them.

do you have any close-up pics of how you connected the rear gate to the sides? i have been playing with some different ideas for this. thanks for the help - and nice truck!!!

KS_Grasscutter
12-18-2006, 01:44 PM
Wow, that truck is REALLY nice. There are a couple around here very similar to that one. I am kinda wishing now I would have waited and got one of them instead of my Chevy... Oh well, it will work for me a couple years, then maybe I will get something newer.

Stafford Landscaping
12-18-2006, 07:38 PM
i just recently did the same thing on my flatbed. i made two sets - one set is shorter, and then the other is taller that i put on there when i need them.

do you have any close-up pics of how you connected the rear gate to the sides? i have been playing with some different ideas for this. thanks for the help - and nice truck!!!

Can you send me some close ups of how you connected the two together I'm thinking of changing the way that I did it before. I have'nt connected the gate and the sides yet the gate is in the standard holes.

Stafford Landscaping
12-18-2006, 09:18 PM
I used pressure treated pine. And the sides that I had before Was the same as the new, but I had made another set that fit on top of them when I haul mulch but I have'nt made the upper piece for the new sides yet.
With the upper sides on the old set I could haul about 12 yards of mulch
the bed is 12ft long

I'm sorry I told you wrong I get 8 yards instead of 12 on the truck with the high sides (I think I'm losing my mind)

tcalb2
03-09-2007, 09:49 PM
thats an awesome looking truck, I never liked the older style fords. But that one looks great. nice job with the side boards, i'd like to see some updated photos

NMS0219
03-09-2007, 10:13 PM
Nice truck Up here all of those trucks are rotted out and/or in the bone yard.

DoetschOutdoor
03-11-2007, 10:49 AM
Sweet looking truck. Might as well save yourself the $500+ of a new truck payment and spend it on somthing else if that beast runs good as you say.

TXNSLighting
03-11-2007, 11:11 AM
man thats a sweet old ford!

haybaler
03-11-2007, 11:39 AM
nice truck. I would leave the sides the way they are, you said there PT I don't know why everyone says paint them. some people have to much time to wast. also if you paint PT before it drys it will rot out faster than anything. I have 3' plywood sides on my dump now, but am thinking of doing just what you did except 18" aluminum (to match the bed) then go up another 18" with wood that could go on/off.

Stafford Landscaping
03-11-2007, 12:50 PM
nice truck. I would leave the sides the way they are, you said there PT I don't know why everyone says paint them. some people have to much time to wast. also if you paint PT before it drys it will rot out faster than anything. I have 3' plywood sides on my dump now, but am thinking of doing just what you did except 18" aluminum (to match the bed) then go up another 18" with wood that could go on/off.

Thanks for all the good comments on the truck. I got lucky when I found it.
I have built another set that go on top of these that I can take on and off for hauling mulch. If I can find the pictures I'll post them.

Stafford Landscaping
03-11-2007, 01:52 PM
I found some pics.