PDA

View Full Version : Iron concentrations

kturner
06-26-2001, 09:28 PM
I haven't used liquid iron before and need to use it on someone's drying lawn.
The product says to apply two gallons per square feet I think. That's a lot of refilling and mixing in a two gallon sprayer. Do you guys mix heavy, and spray light? I can't imagine spraying that much. Thanks for the help.

KirbysLawn
06-26-2001, 10:23 PM
Not sure what product you are using, that's too much and would kill a lawn with what I use from Lesco. Usually it's reccomended that Iron not be sprayed on stressed lawns, water is the solution. I mix Iron at 8oz per 1000sf, therefore 2.5 gallons of Iron will make 70 gallons of mix which will cover 40,000 sf.

I would use caution, if you are not sure how to do this you could kill the lawn. Why not contract out someone with a tank sprayer?

Ray

David Gretzmier
06-26-2001, 11:30 PM
woohoo kirby, 8oz per 1000 is a hot iron mix. my ferromec label indicates that is the max. I have heard that will turn a lawn BLACK so I have never went that high. I go 3 oz. ferromec per thousand, which works out to 1.2-1.3 ounces per gallon in my rig. don't spray iron on a drought stressed lawn, but an otherwise healthy yellow one is begging for it. fertilize light to medium and water daily for a week, then consider iron, more fert and weed control. ya got a license RIGHT ? Dave g

KirbysLawn
06-26-2001, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by David Gretzmier
ya got a license RIGHT ? Dave g

Who me?? Naw.

David Gretzmier
06-26-2001, 11:57 PM
was talkiin about kturner- I ASSume you have an app. lic. lol Dave g

kturner
06-27-2001, 02:16 AM
Oh boy!! I just reread my msg. What I meant was, at the rate they mix (with several tablespoons per gallon), a two gallon mix of water/iron per ten square feet is recommended. I can't see using two gallons on ten square feet.
I need to proofread my posts. Sorry.

powerreel
06-27-2001, 04:02 PM
Cost effective liquid iron, much cheaper than FeRROMEC http://www.rootsinc.com/applications/T_Fe8.pdf

Avery
06-27-2001, 05:32 PM
We use 8 oz/1000 sq ft also Kirby. All of our spraying is on Bermuda and it likes LOTS of iron. Makes it so green it will hurt your eyes!:cool:

lawrence stone
06-27-2001, 05:40 PM
Is not applying iron just applying a Band-Aid?

Up north in Bluegrass Country if the grass goes dormant from drought
so be it, it's nature shutting down the plant in a time of great stress.

Maybe planting a different type of grass or applying other cultural
practices are the answer.

smburgess
06-27-2001, 06:09 PM
No, not a band-aid, more like a "feather in the hat". The hat looks good, but the feather makes it look great. Plus with the little bit of potash aids in root development. Most of the time your only using iron to make a green lawn greener.

jeffyr
06-27-2001, 06:21 PM
I have not applied Iron in liquid---but have applied ironite in granular, which I was told after the fact doesn't have enough iron to make any difference, but I thought it greened up greener.

I am not sure how accurate this is or is not, but maybe someone else can confirm. Turfgrass doen't like iron and will not readily accept it, so it is applied with a small amount of N which tricks the plant into sucking it in and whala....green. What I don't understand is that if the plant doesn't like it, why will it improve the appearance and health ?

Class ? Anyone ? Anyone ? Anyone ?

jeffyr

powerreel
06-27-2001, 06:52 PM
Amino Acids allow the mineral to be chelated,the liquid iron I use has no N,it only feeds roots. I do use generic liquid iron of a urea nature for a quick green up in the spring and if I do a new lawn. :angel:

David Gretzmier
06-27-2001, 11:42 PM
How much does this ferromec alternative cost? I thought ferromec was 20% iron ( not sure) so at 8% this other product may be cheaper, but is 2/3 less potent. could this explain the difference in rates? I just can't imagine putting 2 1/2 gallons per 100 gallons in my tank. That seems like ALOT, and my bermudas are close to black green at 3 oz per 1000 . what's the cost per 5 gallons powerreel? I pay 18 bucks per 2.5 gallon for ferromec w/ 15% nitrogen. Dave g

KirbysLawn
06-28-2001, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by jeffyr
What I don't understand is that if the plant doesn't like it, why will it improve the appearance and health ?

Class ? Anyone ? Anyone ? Anyone ?

jeffyr

Iron is essential for synthesizing chlorophyll. Chlorphyll is what gives plants their green color.

Stone, note my first post, do not apply on stressed lawns, by then it's too late, so no it's not a band-aid. Here in NC and the other "transition" areas we have it a little different than some other areas, cool season grass struggles in the heat but stays green most of the year, Iron helps with this. Warm season grasses get dormant and brown in the fall which also looks bad. So most prefer fescue and work with it.

TurfProf
06-28-2001, 08:43 AM
Let put this to rest....iron is considered a micronutrient for all plants, including turf. We use it mostly as a cosmetic in a foliar spray which is rapidly absorbed by the foliage and does not translocate at all. Mowing of greened leaves eventually removes all traces of the iron in about 2-3 weeks. Greening only works with foliar applied iron....be is iron sulfate or any chelates. Solid applications of iron do literally nothing at all....a complete waste of money unless you have an iron deficiency in the soil. Plants need an extremely small amount of iron that they normally get from the soil. Anything above 4 oz/1000 of chelated iron is a waste of material. Using iron sufate can be dangerous since it has a very high burn/salt index but it is a lot cheaper than chelates. Look at my profile, I've been teaching turf for over 20 years.

jeffyr
06-28-2001, 12:09 PM
turfprof,

Thanks for the thoorough explanation and welcome.

jeffyr

leeslawncare
06-28-2001, 04:27 PM
What about the 5-10-31 w/iron granular at lesco?any one use it?does it work well?i just applied it to a few haven't had a chance to see the results yet.

lawrence stone
06-28-2001, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by leeslawncare
What about the 5-10-31 w/iron granular at lesco?

That's a much better product vs. iron in a tank.

That product combined with Dursban or Merit will be ideal
for use this time of year. Plus it's granular and easily applied with a spreader.

This builds up the "K" so that in late fall you can use
32-5-7 with 25% poly coated. The 75% urea late late in the
season keep the turf green all winter vs. starter fertilizer.

HOMER
06-28-2001, 08:07 PM
Lawnsite is attracting the "BIG DOGS" now!

Glad to see we now have a Professor on board!

I used Ironite on my lawn and to tell you the truth I don't see much difference. I applied it at the same time I fertilized so who knows?????? I won't be wasting my money on anymore if it isn't worth it. Bahai just needs rain anyway, and that we have got this year. Lawn looks better than ever right now.

kturner
06-28-2001, 08:12 PM
OK! Well, it looks like, after all that info, what I learned was that I think I'll just skip it. Most of the lawns I do are about the size of your bathroom and all have irrigation.
I just have this one that I picked up and I know it's getting decent water but it's the only lawn that's browning on me and I'm not sure why. I've been alternating 28-3-3 quick release and a slow release 16-16-16. I thought iron might give things a lift, but it sounds like it's more questionable than I thought.
I still need to do a soil test, he's got serious evergreens around his yard. Having a hard time getting those needles out too. Good thing the yard was put in more for the dog than the owner.
Anyway, thanks guys.

leeslawncare
06-28-2001, 08:30 PM
Thanks larance..........:-)

John DiMartino
06-28-2001, 09:01 PM
I use Iron a few times a year on my greens.To me,it is a just a small part of my fertilzer program.It is something I throw in my garbage mix of fungicides,insecticides,and herbicides when I spray.I would never go out and spray just iron,its not worth it to me,but it does give you a nice deep green,and for its cost,and the minute it takes to measure and throw it in the tank,I think its a good addition.I tried a long time a go to use a handheld sprayer for fertilzer,its tough to get even coverage,and easy to burn and get dark/light spots,if you dont have a boom sprayer,Id sub out the fertilizing.I like the chelated iron better,it has a longer lasting green up,and I only need to use 1-2 Oz/1000 ,as opposed to 6-8 oz with the lesco i used to use.

Rick C.
06-28-2001, 09:07 PM
I use Best product 9-9-9 with Iron nice kick of green with little growth great for warm and hot weather don't get any burning. Then I can add a low nitrogen fert to get even more results. I want to know how dealing with Lesco is they have a branch in town But i only talk to them at trade shows a persons I talk to bit smobish with a degree and they did appear to have common sense though.

powerreel
06-28-2001, 10:09 PM
Just read the roots website. I've used this stuff for years and it really fits with my low N winter mowing. Plus you really see the difference when the drought kicks on and when it breaks. www.rootsinc.com