PDA

View Full Version : Chevy HD vs Ford 350 vs dogde 3500

meets1
12-16-2006, 08:24 PM
IS there much of a difference? One local guy we did some work for has the 06 ford 350. I have the 06 chevy HD 2500. The other guy had a new dodge 3500 to. All these are single axles trucks and wondering why chevy/gm doesn't make a single axle 3500??

climber
12-16-2006, 09:08 PM
Chevy makes a 3500 single axle. You just have to special order it! Its just not on as an option on there website. I dont know why but I wish they did..

Dan

Travel'n Trees
12-16-2006, 09:31 PM
I lean toward Gm then dodge, forget the ford way overrated to many problems. My 2500 hauls more and better than my f-550. Better mileage, heavier load less struggle, durability, and better braking.

DBL
12-16-2006, 09:53 PM
dont forget about the cummins the best of the three diesels. however when you combine the duramax with the allison thats great pair you got there. the powerstroke i have my doubts about because they had a great thing going with the 7.3 then they went to the 6.0 and had a boat load of problems and a bunch of guys say theyre under powered so now theyre going to the 6.8 twin turbo...well see how this one goes

FIRESCOOBY
12-16-2006, 09:58 PM
Chevy makes a 3500 single axle. You just have to special order it! Its just not on as an option on there website. I dont know why but I wish they did..

Dan

Not around here. Dealerships keep single axle 3500's on the lots. I would have bought one if you could get a short bed 3500 single...not an option.

meets1
12-16-2006, 10:36 PM
So they are out there but the dealership just doesn't push the 3500. I would certianly get one but then again I usually have the hd 4door with short box so therefore maybe that wouldn't even apply to me. I know fords 350 is a 4 door with short box why not GM?

Josh.S
12-16-2006, 10:37 PM
dont forget about the cummins the best of the three diesels.
To bad Dodge makes the worst transmissions of them all...

DBL
12-16-2006, 10:43 PM
So they are out there but the dealership just doesn't push the 3500. I would certianly get one but then again I usually have the hd 4door with short box so therefore maybe that wouldn't even apply to me. I know fords 350 is a 4 door with short box why not GM?

gm only makes a short bed 69.3 inches on crew cab models. on the extended cab model you can get the short bed or a standard bed of 78.7 inches. the regular cab you can get the short standard and long bed option of 97.6 inches

this is all right from their website

DBL
12-16-2006, 10:44 PM
To bad Dodge makes the worst transmissions of them all...

when i have a problem with any of my 3 ill let you know

SpruceLandscape
12-16-2006, 11:38 PM
haven't had a problem with the tranny in my dodge, just a front ball joint. Covered under warranty though. My chevy was back to the dealer 3 times for various problems the first 13 months that I owned it. My ford was back for its 3rd tranny and 2nd turbo after only 6 months. So far Dodge is ahead, but i'll give it more time before I proclaim a winner to this never-ending question. =o(

SpruceLandscape
12-16-2006, 11:39 PM
for a more in depth look at my prospective, check out my post on PLOWSITE under the DODGE forum entitled I HAVE COME TO THIS CONCLUSION.

carcrz
12-16-2006, 11:48 PM
I am very happy w/ my Dodge. It now has 35K on the Cummins & has been trouble free in the last year that I've owned it. The only thing that kills me is that Diesel went up the very next day after I bought it. I also added air bags to the back so I can handle any weight you want to put behind me. Now I just need some better tires so I can keep from getting stuck all the time.

Gravel Rat
12-17-2006, 12:10 AM
There really isn't much difference between a HD 3/4 ton and a srw 1 ton except for what is says on the sticker for gvw.

mag360
12-17-2006, 10:38 AM
There really isn't much difference between a HD 3/4 ton and a srw 1 ton except for what is says on the sticker for gvw.

That's true. The chevy 2500hd is at 9600lb gvw i think while the 3500 srw is only 9900lb's.

I'm definitely a dodge guy, however, when considering gas v8 engines I prefer the specs on ford's 5.4 with three valves per cylinder. The torque kicks in really early and I expect it will feel better towing than the hemi. Any one of the big three diesels should be relatively trouble free for the first 150,000 miles or so. It's really in the used market that the cummins comes out on top. I also prefer the 4r100 powerstroke combo for transmission efficience on an older truck over the 47re cummins combo (stock vs stock)
The '03 and up 48re trans behind the cummins is pretty solid, though, and alot simpler than the torqshift and allison.

jt5019
12-17-2006, 10:46 AM
65k miles on my dodge and its been in for tranny repairs twice. My old ford was pushing 190k miles and never once had to fix the tranny.

Josh.S
12-17-2006, 02:46 PM
65k miles on my dodge and its been in for tranny repairs twice. My old ford was pushing 190k miles and never once had to fix the tranny.

My grandpa's RAM3500 has the transmission going out of it AGAIN and it doesn't even have 100k miles yet.

Some people say the dodge's have trouble free transmissions for them, but I don't really want to take the chance...

Gravel Rat
12-17-2006, 02:53 PM
Why even bother with a rotten automatic get a manual 6spd never worry about it again. The new trucks have so much power you rarely have to shift except if your in stop and go traffic.

As for brands they are all expensive to fix and 99% of the work needs to be done at the dealer.

I don't think Dodge ever did build a good automatic transmission Chevy and Ford were good. The old Turbo series in Chevs were tough the C-6 Fords were good. The E4OD not so good but if you had one built they are good transmissions.

meets1
12-17-2006, 04:55 PM
I have had good luck with the chevy's. I am all chevy at this point. Had the older dogdes - and something was always wrong somewhere - mostly though tranny. Ford - alway trouble, the power stroke was killing us always getting fixed, always getting stuck - maybe tires but I think it has to do with the posi-track and the 4 wheel drive system - seemed by the time it locked in we were stuck - or just sitten there spinning. So now all chevy - 02, 03, 05, 06 and will look at the new HD 07/08 when they come out.

That is been my experience - not to haze anyone here cuz I would hate to see a foreign compnay come out with 3/4 ton - look what toyota has been doing to the our car/suv market. They have an awesome product!

TLS
12-17-2006, 05:34 PM
With the 3500 SRW GM you get 265 tires and an add-a-leaf. You don't get the aluminum wheels on the 3500 though. Everything else is the same.

One is 9200 the other is 9900.

For a while there you could get a 3500 SRW cheaper than a 2500HD. That price shortly changed.

As for short beds.... This is a work truck guys, get a real fullsize bed.

The add-a-leaf spring perchs won't fit the shorter frames of the short bed.

DBL
12-17-2006, 05:37 PM
my cummins is the 6spd but the other two gassers are autos

meets1
12-17-2006, 08:33 PM
Only thing I have to add about ours chevy's are when we put a plow on them - the front end hangs a bit. I even have torsions turned up a bit and timbrens on. On the Fords we have had - alittle sag - same with dodges. I think it has to do with the front end of the trucks. All our trucks are long bed, reg cab except mine - 4 door short bed. I haul the guys around more - use it with wife and 2 boys and always have a trailer hooked up!

I have thought about manual - but with snow removal I think that could be a hassle??

J&R Landscaping
12-17-2006, 09:07 PM
I liked the older Ford diesels 7.3L's. I wasn't a big fan of the 6.0's but I'm starting to come around. I do like GM for the 6.0 gas engine. I really dont like the duramaxes much, to quiet and just dont like them. I like the 6.8 ford V-10's as well!

BobcatBoy06
12-17-2006, 09:20 PM
We have several dodges both with gas and diesel motors, have the older 12 valve, the 24 valves and the newer 24 valves, also have some Chevy's with the 6.0 in. If i was buying a new truck it would for sure be an 07 dodge with the 6.7 Cummings and the new aisin tranny, supposed to be as good if not better than the allison tranny.

Allure
12-17-2006, 09:23 PM
I have had good luck with the chevy's. I am all chevy at this point. Had the older dogdes - and something was always wrong somewhere - mostly though tranny. Ford - alway trouble, the power stroke was killing us always getting fixed, always getting stuck - maybe tires but I think it has to do with the posi-track and the 4 wheel drive system - seemed by the time it locked in we were stuck - or just sitten there spinning. So now all chevy - 02, 03, 05, 06 and will look at the new HD 07/08 when they come out.

That is been my experience - not to haze anyone here cuz I would hate to see a foreign compnay come out with 3/4 ton - look what toyota has been doing to the our car/suv market. They have an awesome product!
look out for the new tundra then. due out in 6 weeks

meets1
12-17-2006, 10:44 PM
Is the new tundra going to a 3/4 model?? How will it rate to the US counter parts?? That will be interesting!!

Allure
12-17-2006, 10:49 PM
Is the new tundra going to a 3/4 model?? How will it rate to the US counter parts?? That will be interesting!!
it's supposed to be a 3/4 with towing capacity well above 10,000 lbs, 22 inch deep bed etc. They completely redesigned it & beefed everything up substantially. It will be interesting to compare.
http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/future/newtundra/index.html

meets1
12-17-2006, 11:13 PM
Hey - thanks for the link to toyota! I will be checking that out this winter when they are out. Then I'll have to compare the ne tundra to the new chevy. I must admit - I do own a Toyota Highlander!

Josh.S
12-17-2006, 11:32 PM
Why even bother with a rotten automatic get a manual 6spd never worry about it again. The new trucks have so much power you rarely have to shift except if your in stop and go traffic.

As for brands they are all expensive to fix and 99% of the work needs to be done at the dealer.

I don't think Dodge ever did build a good automatic transmission Chevy and Ford were good. The old Turbo series in Chevs were tough the C-6 Fords were good. The E4OD not so good but if you had one built they are good transmissions.

I don't think Dodge ever build a good auto either....

My problem is that almost all my driving is in town pulling my trailer. Alot of time I make my phone calls in the truck between jobs. I also eat while driving. So for me doing this stuff with a manual transmission, driving around town all day, would just be an absolute pain.

For a work truck I wouldn't go with anything but automatic...

Accu-cut Lawn Care
12-18-2006, 09:20 AM

My problem is that almost all my driving is in town pulling my trailer. Alot of time I make my phone calls in the truck between jobs. I also eat while driving. So for me doing this stuff with a manual transmission, driving around town all day, would just be an absolute pain.

Have you ever owned a Dodge? I have an 04 1500 and have had no transmission problems at all-infact,after 70,000 miles of hauling two z's around, I haven't even had to pop the hood once. How often is your ford in the shop?

TLS
12-18-2006, 09:31 AM
Have you ever owned a Dodge? I have an 04 1500 and have had no transmission problems at all-infact,after 70,000 miles of hauling two z's around, I haven't even had to pop the hood once. How often is your ford in the shop?

I believe they are referring to trannys behind the more powerful engines....V-10 and Cummins. Most notably the Cummins when it's tweaked a bit.

Prestige-Lawncare
12-18-2006, 10:12 AM
Still love my 350 PowerStroke. Pulls my 14000 lb 5th wheel like a dream. Though I only have 49K miles on it so far ... not one bit of trouble.

:weightlifter:

SpruceLandscape
12-18-2006, 06:26 PM
In response to the dodge tranny comments, I have always steered clear of them because of that exact reason, especially in the diesel trucks because of the bad raps they were getting in the mid and late 90's. Recently though, I believe it was 02 or 03 they have really come around and you will be hard pressed to find a newer diesel/auto combination from dodge that is having any problems. As I stated earlier, the ford that I bought in late 04 with the 6.0 diesel/auto had the worst driveline of any truck I have ever owned! 2 turbos and 3 trannys in less than a year! Again, i'm not trying to say that any one truck is better than another, however, i will say that any one truck is WORSE than another. Older fords were fine with the 7.3L, but they lost my business for a long time after my last truck and the run-around they tried to give me.

lawnmaniac883
12-18-2006, 07:33 PM
I believe they are referring to trannys behind the more powerful engines....V-10 and Cummins. Most notably the Cummins when it's tweaked a bit.

You pay to play, if you mod a cummins then your auto is gonna take a dump no matter what. It isnt a matter of "if" but a matter of "when" at stock power levels the 48re's have the LOWEST failure rate when compared to the torqshift and allison. If you mod the engine then get the trans built and have no problems.

As for the new Aisin 6 speed auto that dodge has in their cab and chassis, it is so far a very well shifting transmission and offers a double overdrive to keep highway rpms down.

Sunscaper
12-18-2006, 09:11 PM
I lean toward Gm then dodge, forget the ford way overrated to many problems. My 2500 hauls more and better than my f-550. Better mileage, heavier load less struggle, durability, and better braking.
You are ******ed.

Travel'n Trees
12-19-2006, 02:38 AM
Sorry sunscaper, yes I was ******ed and I bought a FORD again,I took the cheap way out and did the f-550, I wish I would have spent a little more upfront , as I pay $10k this month to get rid of it because the dealer installed dump was not made to haul, dirt, rock, mulch, sand, or coal. Now who is ******ed I am in the process of a lawsuit with FORD.

Scag48
12-19-2006, 02:47 AM
Lawsuit against Ford? Shouldn't you be suing the dealership? As for 3/4 ton trucks hauling more than a 1 1/2 ton truck, you sir, are not too bright. Sorry dude, your posts always suck and they always will. Sorry you got shafted by your dealer, blah blah, I'm sure it was a misunderstanding somewhere, but half the crap you post here is ridiculous.

Oh yeah, good luck with that lawsuit, Ford's lawyers will find you at fault for everything regardless of whether you were in the wrong or not. You're wasting your time and you're even more ******ed for trying to sue one of the larget companies in the US. I laugh at you, hard.

J&R Landscaping
12-19-2006, 12:32 PM

I had the same thoughts before I bought a truck with a manual trans. It was not as hard to shift along with everything else as I thought it would be. The only thing that would seem challenging, to me would be plowing with it but I never did that so I dont know if that speculation is correct or not.

DBL
12-19-2006, 05:38 PM
my daily driver my 03 cummins is a 6spd like i have stated earlier in this thread and our one stake body is a 5 spd i dont mind it maby becasue i do it everyday it runs the same as an auto i know theyre easier and my next truck probably will but i dont mind shifting and i do a lot of in town driving

Sunscaper
12-19-2006, 06:52 PM
Sorry about your trouble with Ford. I love mine and never had any trouble. I just have a hard time when people glorify their decision with unrealistic examples like this one. My F-350 dually hauls 80,000 lbs. better than a Peterbilt. Sounds dumb doesn't it?

meets1
12-19-2006, 07:52 PM
I must admit - the HD pulling/hauling more than the F550 is funny. I have seen guys around here though pull hay on 5th - wheel trailers - usually triple axles - that has equal number of round bales on a semi compared to the truck and trailer. They all say they have air under the bed and where can the load go. These are all chevy/ford/dodge guys around my parts.

tthomass
12-19-2006, 09:21 PM
I had a loaded logging tractor trailer brake down in front of me today.........felt sorry for the guy so I hooked up and pulled it the rest of the way for him...............thats what a Chevy 2500hd will do..........its all about the "hd"

Just study up on what you're getting before you buy it, know what you are in for. Some Chevy's suck!!! Some Fords suck!!! Some Dodges suck!!! But there is good news.........Honda now has a truck. haha

Josh.S
12-20-2006, 10:50 PM
Some Chevy's suck!!! Some Fords suck!!! Some Dodges suck!!! But there is good news.........Honda now has a truck. haha

I couldn't agree with you more. Some people are so "x brand is the best" they are not open minded even though that certain product from x brand might suck.

Travel'n Trees
12-21-2006, 12:14 AM
The mechanic who is buying my truck wants out of it! He called today, the list of dealers this truck has been to stretches over 5 states in 3000 miles, I'm sorry but it now has 4000 miles and a new motor, turbo, transfer case, transmission, and rear end. I am sorry but this truck cost too much to sit with a useless warranty. This is a F-550 auto,diesel,xlt,4x4,crew cab, knapneide bed dealer installed.:confused: I had injectors go out at 140K on the duramax, no problem warrantied, known defect.

Scag48
12-21-2006, 03:14 AM
New truck with 4,000 miles and a blown motor? Yeah right....

Travel'n Trees
12-21-2006, 05:04 AM
That is better than my 2002 F-250 the warrantied it and was only down for 6 weeks.

Marek
12-21-2006, 07:13 AM
Maybe he wants out of the deal becaause of you! I have seen you on a bunch of sights gripping and challanged you to provide proof of your claims and you never do. So T nT where is the proof the ford voided your warranty for hauling stone or soil?????????????????????????????????????????

meets1
12-21-2006, 09:57 AM
I was at our local ford dealer yesterday - we do some work for them. anyway talking to the head diesel mechanic - who we also work for. They had a line of 250 & 350 in the shop plus 13 outside that he said he couldn't get into the shop. He loves his ford and that is all that is out there but he told me yesterday - you take a gun to his head to releive his headache with the ford diesel. He said there is a big problem right now with them and alot of these guys are farmers with big 5th wheel trailers and the construction worker that need the diesel and 4 door to haul around crews. I am not a mechanic so I didn't understand all he was saying about the injectors, pump, etc - just bot the idea that with that many new trucks in the shop - something can't be right.

Scag48
12-21-2006, 03:43 PM
Ford should have stuck with the 7.3 Powerstroke. Why mess with a great selling product? 170K on our F350 with no problems.

FIRESCOOBY
12-21-2006, 04:48 PM
Ford should have stuck with the 7.3 Powerstroke. Why mess with a great selling product?

Because when the federal government sets regulations...they prefer for you to follow them.

Gravel Rat
12-21-2006, 04:57 PM
The 7.3 doesn't meet emmision rules as for the cummins they are getting around it some how with the lightduty emmision regs for the use in Dodge Cummins P/Us. I talked with a good mechanic friend and he has faith in the new piezo (sp) injection system Ford is using on the new 6.4 they have gotten away from the hydraulic unit injectors. The problem with the 6.0 is it was put in production too fast so there was problems with the 03s.

Remember Ford sells millions of trucks and allot of them are used for work so of course the problems will be maginified because there are more Fords on the road. There are allot of problems with the Duramax that people don't know about I don't think Chevy wants the 6.5 litre walk of shame all over again :laugh:

As for Traveling Trees complaining about his Ford just ignore it I know many people with F-450s and F-550s never had any problems with them. I have been running Fords for 15 years my familly has been using Fords for well over 30. Companies in my area have been using Ford trucks for the same amount of years along with regular residents. Ford trucks are the most previalent in the area they range from the 70s to 2006.

Travel'n Trees
12-22-2006, 02:00 AM
We used them for almost 40 years now, 1 390 was great, a 460 was great a 351 hard to beat. Scag the dt444 is known as the international not to touch, do the 466. Mareck nice bluff you want receipts from dealer, where they charged me for the work, and I drove there and the truck didn't start in their parking lot Midway Ford, Kansas City? Or do you want a picture of the truck driving back from New Orleans with a diagnosed rod hanging outside the block, by Crystal Springs Ford, Crystal Springs, Mississippi.(opps Crescent, Ford, New Orleans, found the pinched wires that fried the fuel pump, and PCM. Due to improperly installed fuel line by Blue Springs Ford, Blue Springs mo..).. Might I ad that 3 of these dealers tried to charge me 12k for a new motor, one wanted 15k because they said they would have to pull the cab off of the frame to do the install.

DBL
12-22-2006, 04:10 PM
the dt444 is a 7.3 powerjoke the dt466 is what the guys who know trucks buy why buy a big truck like that with a little motor :confused:

Jpocket
12-22-2006, 05:00 PM

I would never buy a foreighn pick-up EVER. Theres nothing like Detroit Muscle, with a flowmaster

Sunscaper
12-22-2006, 09:20 PM
If Ford sells more cab and chassis trucks than anyone else there must be a reason. Pick up trucks are only so good for so long i you want to grow you're business. I get sick of everyone knocking on Fords. I don't see much of anything else out here working. I have a 6.0 and an 7.3 no problems with either. I could knock on chevy and dodge also. All have strong and weak points. Overall for a work truck you cannot beat a Ford. PERIOD!!! There I said it..stone me.

meets1
12-22-2006, 09:38 PM
American is great but why is it that the foreign mkt has goaned so much in the last couple of years. Toyota & honda seem to have something going for them and if they come out with a 3/4 truck - there goes more mkt share.

HenryB
12-22-2006, 09:56 PM
American is great but why is it that the foreign mkt has goaned so much in the last couple of years. Toyota & honda seem to have something going for them and if they come out with a 3/4 truck - there goes more mkt share.

After the big three nearly drove me crazy. I switshed to Isuzu's and I'll never switch back? Box trucks and dumps and my personal Toyota just turned 200k original everything. Why don't we just copy them already. :hammerhead:

meets1
12-22-2006, 10:09 PM
Just got off the phone from our dodge dealer - neighbor in fact. Asking him about sales etc and he told me they have had 4 foreign trucks that were traded in cuz husband brought the truck into marriage and now in need of a van. He couldn't beleive that each truck, 2001 - 2005, 19K in miles to 97K in miles were on the lot from 1 - 3 days. He said the buyers didn't even hassle on the price. Interesting conversation.

snoope
12-22-2006, 11:16 PM
It will be interesting when the 1st Texas Tundra starts making a reputation for itself:weightlifter: :weightlifter: or :nono: :nono: ....
I'm on my 3rd Toyota Tacoma personal vehicle but the "Work horses" have always been Ford or GM..nobody will put a "real" plow on a TOY:confused: ..

IF this new Tundra does what it supposed to do (And takes a plow) my "New Venture" in the spring might not be Ford powered.....Time will tell....

Snoope back quiet

Grn Mtn
01-01-2007, 11:38 PM
I am surprised more guys aren't talking about the new cab and chassis ram 3500. dang this truck looks great, anyone else check it out?

GravelyGuy
01-01-2007, 11:57 PM
I don't have the experience that you guys have with trucks, but my parents had a 98 Dodge that they purchased brand new. We had the very first quad cab truck around here. Anyways, the tranny went out at 26,000 miles. We had it rebuilt and the shop told us that the holes in the transmission where the fluid goes through are to small from the factory. They drilled the holes bigger and said the we would not have any more problems. We sold the truck soon after the rebuild so I don't know if it is true or not. I do agree with you guys when you say that they have improved the transmissions because I know several people with newer Dodge trucks that have no problems at all.

GG386
01-11-2007, 11:16 PM
Hey guys, from what I understand all bets are off for any diesels produced in 07. These new motors(produced in 07 forward) have to meet the new emission that started this year. I actually was going to buy one of those new TT 6.4's Ford is coming out with, but I play golf with an engineer for International and he himself said wait a COUPLE of years! This also holds true for GM and Dodge units. Man that really sucks. The way to make them burn cleaner is via the exhaust system which is basically like a little afterburner thingamachingee that injects fuel into it to burn up particulants. Is that a recipe for disater or what?

I scooped up an 07 last week and put on a dual outlet SilverLine- try doing that on an 08:dizzy:

DixieChopperDuramax
01-12-2007, 07:48 PM
Its sure not as easy as it used to be, the newer ones throw codes if you modify your exhaust, id be willing to bet the upcoming models wont even run if you change it.

GG386
01-14-2007, 06:21 PM
DixieChopperDuramax

Our trucks(light duty) are just the tip of the iceberg. Farm tractors like combines and such will have to meet emissions in 09, not sure about OTR trucks. Basically, IMHO, we'll loose the fuel economy we enjoy now and probably some power loss. If this is true, with the price of diesel about .25 per gallon higher than gas we might as well go back to gas burners.

In the next 6 months or so when these units start hitting the streets, there will be a lot of reviews- I hope I'm wrong, but in the mean time, no 08's for this kid!

One other point, the maintenance on the new ones is supposedly herrendous, taking away another one of the assets that we have now. Exhaust mods, forget it:cry:

meets1
01-14-2007, 06:42 PM
Talked to a mechanic over the weekend who is always going to school to keep up with the new engines - said if you change oil yourself, that will be all you can do, as well as tire changes/rotations. Anything from there needs a computer, special tools and another computer to tell ya how. Any mod's might be out the window for the time being.

SpruceLandscape
01-15-2007, 11:09 AM
Sounds to me like those of us with 06 and earlier trucks are going to have a pretty good resalable piece of equipment when the time comes. I just read a review of some of the new 07 and 08 trucks from dodge, ford, and chevy. Chevy is leading the pack in torque and HP up 5 on each from last year, with dodge second and ford in a close third. Dodge uped their displacement to make up for the restrictions of the new emmissions systems and added a variable geometry turbo system, which is what it sounds like chevy and ford have done as well. I do have to say though, I am glad that they are able to produce the same amount of power as before and yet be so much cleaner, just not happy about the cost reprocussions with the maintenance. I am probably one of the few people who would be willing to pay the extra money for these cleaner engines, but I am not happy about the expensive diagnostic/computer code crap. Can't have your cake and eat it too I guess. Looks like this is just something we will have to accept, hopefully it makes a big enough impact on the environment in the long run to justify the expense being past onto the consumers. Just my ramblin' .02 =o)

DixieChopperDuramax
01-15-2007, 06:09 PM
Iv got the stuff to do almost anything the dealer can do, one reason im glad iv got a chevy.

GG386
01-15-2007, 09:32 PM
Sounds to me like those of us with 06 and earlier trucks are going to have a pretty good resalable piece of equipment when the time comes. I just read a review of some of the new 07 and 08 trucks from dodge, ford, and chevy. Chevy is leading the pack in torque and HP up 5 on each from last year, with dodge second and ford in a close third. Dodge uped their displacement to make up for the restrictions of the new emmissions systems and added a variable geometry turbo system, which is what it sounds like chevy and ford have done as well. I do have to say though, I am glad that they are able to produce the same amount of power as before and yet be so much cleaner, just not happy about the cost reprocussions with the maintenance. I am probably one of the few people who would be willing to pay the extra money for these cleaner engines, but I am not happy about the expensive diagnostic/computer code crap. Can't have your cake and eat it too I guess. Looks like this is just something we will have to accept, hopefully it makes a big enough impact on the environment in the long run to justify the expense being past onto the consumers. Just my ramblin' .02 =o)

I'm with you 100% with cleaner is better. We've only have X amount of dino left to draw from for ourselves and for our kids. If I was betting man(:rolleyes: ) these new powerplants will need more fuel per tank than what we have now- what did we accomplish?

Remember when the first generation cats came out in the mid 70's- loss of power, fuel mileage took a dump and lots of premature engine failures. It's just like everything else, the first entries are the guinea pigs. I'm totally confident that the big 3 will iron this all out, but in the mean time...

meets1
01-16-2007, 10:14 AM
I have to agree with guys regarding the power, being guinea pigs and all but wouldn't you think that the big 3 knew these mandates were coming and had most of that thought process taken care of??Most of the engines now are based off a very simple design but made more complex to get power, torque and now meet more emmission std's.

GG386
01-16-2007, 11:36 AM
I have to agree with guys regarding the power, being guinea pigs and all but wouldn't you think that the big 3 knew these mandates were coming and had most of that thought process taken care of??Most of the engines now are based off a very simple design but made more complex to get power, torque and now meet more emmission std's.

ANY clear thinking company would have been prepared- but we ARE talking about the big 3. Things have to bite them right in the ass in the corporate world:usflag:

I would NEVER buy a work truck that was not American made, but the foreigners are coming out with some real competition to our beloved models.

Trucks-NO WAY, Cars-hmmn...

tnmtn
01-16-2007, 12:03 PM
i would love to see a isuzu npr hd or frr offerered with the 6.6 duamax/allison combo.

meets1
01-16-2007, 12:35 PM
I just looked at toyota's website with there new truck - not to bad! I have owned all three trucks, now I have all chevy but maybe someday.........

GG386
01-16-2007, 11:00 PM
Funny, I was a chevy man for around 20+ years till I tangled with those lame 6.5 turbo diesels:cry:

I got the cure real quick and rotated all my trucks over to the oval, and (knock on wood) have been pretty happy with them. BTW, Dodge makes a hell of a truck but they hit the tank on resale, go figure.

ewemeister
01-21-2007, 07:00 PM
Hi guys, just joined Lawnsite recently and was checking out this thread. I was just looking this week at new trucks and now I have a whole lot of things to consider after reading these posts. I have heard pros and cons here locally about the new diesels and trannys and want to try to make an informed decision(new trucks are a big investment) I'm currently running a '99 f350 SD with the gas 8. Kind of underpowered and trans shifts way too much for me but 100k and no major problems. I want the diesel for the torque and longevity. Although I have owned Dodges I don't much care for them personnaly, no offence to anyone. A local Chevy dealer has an '07 4x4 diesel with a mason dump on it. Seems kinda pricey to me at 38K but I haven't bought a new truck since about 100k miles ago. :) Any latest info on Ford or Chevy diesels and trannys would be appreciated. Great site!

J&R Landscaping
01-22-2007, 06:17 PM
For $38k, I'd snatch that truck up in a heart beat! Around me, your typical 3/4 ton gas pick-up is $30-$33k. That price is great for a gas powered dump truck, but for a 4x4 diesel dump, its a steal!!

If it has the d-max diesel under the hood, it should have the allison tranny as well. Personally, I dont like the allisons but everyone on LS and PS raves about them!

ewemeister
01-22-2007, 08:23 PM
[I] did talk to a local Ford dealer today and he said the '05,6 and 7's have been pretty trouble free. Kinda leaning toward a Chevy now though. The frame looks a lot beefier than I remember them being[ The Chevy dealer said they want to move them since they have 5 of them on the lot. I get really picky when I have to spend money!:)/I]

meets1
01-22-2007, 09:27 PM
I don't blame ya. Anymore what those trucks cost is unbelievable! Spend wisey!