PDA

View Full Version : Our box truck

Tadams
12-17-2006, 01:00 AM
Here is my new ( to me anyway ) box truck. Here is the story: I have been wanting a box truck for about a year. I have been watching ebay, craigslist, the local trader, and anything else that I could find that sells these trucks. I didn't want a diesel because I know nothing about them and I have heard that there were some issues with the older one. I wanted a 16' because of the equipment that I have and want to put in it and I knew that a 14' would be too small. I never found one that felt right. Well, on Sat Nov. 25th I was on ebay and saw this truck in Michigan. I called the guy and after talking to him I felt pretty good about the truck. He took it off ebay after I sent him a small deposit. That night I bought a round trip ticket to Michigan for Wed. the 29th. 59 bucks each way on Airtran! My wife couldn't believe what I was doing. We live in GA and I barely knew where Michigan was on a map much less how to get home from there. Well, it turns out that there is a major interstate that runs from GA to Michigan- I-75. It's about 2 miles from my house and about 10 miles from the guys house. About 700 miles from his house to mine though.

Back to the story. I fly up there and he picks me up and we go back to his house. I drive the truck around for about 20 minutes- the whole time I'm listening to this guy and trying to figure out if he is full of crap about the truck. We go back to his house and I stat looking for something wrong. Well, it had a small pin hole in a return line for the transmissionn cooler. We fixed that and I drove it for about a hour and everything is fine. I pay the guy and head out. I fill up with gas and get on the interstate at 7:05 pm. I drive all night long and get home at about 9:45 am on Thursday. That's nearly 15 hours! Man was I tired.

Well, I got back and got dovetail and ramp put on. I put most of my equipment in it and started mounting the racks. Then the guy that will letter it up finally called me and said the he can do it. So here are the pics:

KrayzKajun
12-17-2006, 01:06 AM
very nice! congradulations

Allure
12-17-2006, 01:16 AM
congratulations!

is it just me or are the seasons in the wrong order.

winter, summer, fall, spring

when it should be

winter, spring, summer, fall

Tadams
12-17-2006, 09:32 AM
Allure, I hadn't even noticed that. I'll have to see if the sign guy can fix that.

Thanks Kajun!

Lawnworks
12-17-2006, 09:39 AM
How many miles? How much did you pay? The tailgate looks tough... where did you get it made?

AL Inc
12-17-2006, 09:44 AM
Nice truck Tadams, I like the name and logos. Cool story, too. I guess you found out how reliable the truck was! Good luck with it.

Tadams
12-17-2006, 11:14 AM
Lawnworks, it has 162,000 miles on it. It is an auto and the 350 chevy motor. I gave $4500.00 for the truck, $1500.oo for the ramp- I could have saved 200-300 on the ramp but I would have to leave the truck with the company for about a week and drive 2 1/2 hours each way to get there. Womack truck bodies in Dallas, GA put it on for me. They had 5 or 6 already made and ready to put on. I got to their shop at 8:30 am and I was leaving at 10:00 am. They did a first rate job on the whole process.

Thanks Al!

I was hoping for a little better gas mileage but that is the only thing that I can complain about. I might be getting 10 mpg but I was only getting a little better than that pulling a trailer so it's not that big of a deal.

Tadams
12-17-2006, 11:24 AM
Here are some more pics.

Tadams
12-17-2006, 11:28 AM
Oh, don't laugh at the hooks that I used for the shafts on the trimmers. I'm gonna use the other green touch rack in another place in the box to hold pole trimmer, an extra trimmer, and whatever else I can find to put in it.:hammerhead:

ALarsh
01-11-2007, 10:47 PM
$4,500? Hell i'd say thats a deal! Great buy.

ScottsQLS
01-11-2007, 11:39 PM
Hey I was just wondering what you can all fit in the box truck? I was wondering if you think there would be room for 2 ZRT mowers in a 16 foot bed truck?

Tadams
01-11-2007, 11:50 PM
Hey I was just wondering what you can all fit in the box truck? I was wondering if you think there would be room for 2 ZRT mowers in a 16 foot bed truck?

I've got a 48" TTHP in the front and a 60" Lazer in the back with the ultra vac on it. If you just had 2 ZTR's witout baggers on them, they would fit in there fine. You could put 3 ZTR's in there if you turned them sideways in the box or straight in but one of them would have to be on the dovetail.

Tony Clifton
01-13-2007, 07:09 PM
How bad is the tail swing with the dovetail off the back?
We have 2 with 18' open landscape bodies, and tail swing is a concern, I had a guy hit a car a few years back so it is a major concern of mine. I always thought that it looked like there would be alot of tailswing when you put the dovetail on a box like that.
Also, nice looking truck and cool story.

Ultimatelawncareinc
01-13-2007, 08:14 PM
so i got 1 ? where the hell do you put your grass clipping when you bag

CrewCutEnterprises
01-13-2007, 08:17 PM
so i got 1 ? where the hell do you put your grass clipping when you bag

Probably in trash bags, or trash cans like the guys here do, then they sit them on the dovetail

mikes landscaping
01-13-2007, 08:53 PM
Nice truck looks real functional, beats a trailer,and it keeps everything protected.

Tadams
01-13-2007, 09:32 PM
Thanks Tony, the tail swing is constantly on my mind when I am turning or pulling out of a parking space so that is why nothing has happened yet. It's not really that bad- no worse than when you have to think about cutting a corner too sharp with a trailer. It gets to be second nature- you won't even think about it.

Hey Ultimate, there is only one lawn that I have to haul away the clippings. That one yard only fills about 3 bags. I do put the clippings on the tail. I also do that customers office, so I throw the clippings in their dumpster. The other yards that I bag I leave the clippings onsite. I really try to mulch or discharge as many yards as I can. I hate bagging! So, in a nutshell, bagging is really not a problem for me.

Thanks Mike, it is alot better than pulling a trailer. I still have the truck and a trailer just in case of a breakdown, but I hope I don't have to go back to a trailer.

Ultimatelawncareinc
01-13-2007, 09:57 PM
must be nice were bagging over 100 accounts a week except for june and july.i would love to try and get away from it but it's hard to get the customers to swith now :cry:

HenryB
01-13-2007, 10:04 PM
We have 2 with 18' open landscape bodies, and tail swing is a concern, I had a guy hit a car a few years back so it is a major concern of mine. I always thought that it looked like there would be alot of tailswing when you put the dovetail on a box like that.

It's much easier and safer to use a double folding ramp like USA ramp sells. The truck is great but honestly those dovetails are not necesary. The 10ft ramps by USA can handle about 1600lbs.

Lawnworks
01-13-2007, 10:33 PM

The difference b/t an open body and the box w/ dove tail is that you can actually see the dovetail w/ an open body, but not the box.

Runner
01-14-2007, 05:27 AM
Let's see...4500 for a portable garage (storage) AND a truck for transport. I would say yes,.. a great deal. Also, you will be everyones favorite friend when it comes time to move! lol

Rons Rightway Lawncare
01-14-2007, 06:10 AM
no springs to assit in lifting the gates?

10 mpg??? come on now!!! I am getting only around 9 mpg and that is with a lighter NPR and newer engine.

Tony Clifton
01-14-2007, 11:18 AM
The difference b/t an open body and the box w/ dove tail is that you can actually see the dovetail w/ an open body, but not the box.

Exactly, that is why the box trucks w/ the external dovetails worry me so much. The box is the way to go, we can't fit anymore trucks inside our shop, so being able to keep the equip. on the truck inside a box at night would be the ideal solution.

HenryB
01-14-2007, 11:39 AM
USARAMP.COM No dovetail very neat and professional I've bought three from them.:clapping:

Tadams
01-14-2007, 12:25 PM
Hey Ron, I'm being very generous with the 10 mpg. I'm sure that it gets less than that but I'm trying to convince myself that it gets 10 just so I don't feel like I'm getting raped at the pump.:cry: Gas mileage is something that I considered when I bought the truck but there is nothing I can do about. I have a friend that has an older Dodge dually diesel that he says gets 28 mpg - empty or when he is pulling an enclosed trailer with a dirt track car in it. I didn't call him a liar but I should have. The ramps do have springs ( 2 on each ramp for a total of 4 ). You can lift the ramp with one hand very easily.

I looked at different types of ramps, but around here that is how people distinguish a landscapers truck from a regular delivery truck and it's the "norm". I know that they are strong enough to hold anything that I want to put on it and the ramp was built locally and it only took them about an hour and a half to put it on.

The guy that helps me said that I should get the little video camera and monitor that you mount on the back of the truck so you can see behind you when you are backing up. I might look into it but right now that is not really an issue with the truck- just something that you have to get used to. No worse than pulling an enclosed trailer really.

Lawnworks
01-14-2007, 01:34 PM
I would have to say 28 mpg w/ dually is dang near impossible... he is probably believing the truck computer. However, I think the older cummins get the best fuel mileage out of the other diesels. Best I have ever got w/ 2500 cummins is give or take 20... mostly 18 on the highway and 15 around town.

ScottsQLS
01-23-2007, 12:31 AM
Tadams-
Hey just have a couple quick questions for you:
1- Where just you find that dove tail on your truck? I really like it and am having a hard time finding one right now.
2- Do you need a special commercial drivers license to drive one of those box trucks?
3- Is there any springs with your gates? They look like they would get pretty heavy day the end of a long mowing day.

Tadams
01-23-2007, 10:51 AM
Tadams-
Hey just have a couple quick questions for you:
1- Where just you find that dove tail on your truck? I really like it and am having a hard time finding one right now.
2- Do you need a special commercial drivers license to drive one of those box trucks?
3- Is there any springs with your gates? They look like they would get pretty heavy day the end of a long mowing day.

Hey ScottsGLS,

1. there are 3 places in GA that build and install these types of ramps that are close to me. If you look in the local big truck trader or talk to some of the welding/ fabricating places, they might build you one.

2. This size truck falls under the non-CDL category. This truck is a W4000 that is considered a one ton. I don't think they used the 4000 badge for very long. They switched to 3500 or the 4500 nomenclature. You do need DOT numbers in GA, but they are not very strict in the county that I live in.

3. There are 2 ramps that make up the gate and each of these have 2 springs each. It is very easy to lift the gate up. Once you get it about 3/4 of the way the springs really take over pull it out of your hand. It only takes one hand to lift the gate up. Not tiring at all.

coolbreeze
01-23-2007, 12:36 PM
The guy that helps me said that I should get the little video camera and monitor that you mount on the back of the truck so you can see behind you when you are backing up. I might look into it but right now that is not really an issue with the truck- just something that you have to get used to. No worse than pulling an enclosed trailer really.

i seen a wireless backup camera at walmart for $90 (i think). they had it hooked up so you could actually see the clarity even though the store was well lit.

Tadams
01-23-2007, 10:17 PM
Thanks Coolbreeze, I'll have to check that out. So you think it would work pretty good?

coolbreeze
01-24-2007, 07:41 AM
Thanks Coolbreeze, I'll have to check that out. So you think it would work pretty good?

yes. that's actually why i was looking at one. i plan on getting a box truck this year and thought it would be nice to have when i'm in tight places. i think the trick would be, where to mount it.

troblandscape
01-30-2007, 11:03 PM
Hey thanks for posting this add, I just bought my box truck today due to seeing this thread a few days ago. With how the cops in my area are coming down on trailers I decided to go the box truck route, the only thing Im worried about is my foreman hitting tree branches or road signs while parking, and also about weather to go with the dovetail or the USA ramp. I talked to the guys at Womack and they said they will ship. I am in Pa. so it will be costly. Thanks, Will Post Pics

Tadams
01-30-2007, 11:14 PM
That sounds great Robinson! Tell us about the truck- year, size of box, motor, all the goodies! Can't wait to see the pics! Welcome to the boxtruck world. I don't really know what to tell you about your foreman and driving. Maybe let him drive while you ride with him and show him what he needs to do.