PDA

View Full Version : Fabricating a basket...

jmartin
12-17-2006, 06:56 PM
I was wondering how hard or expensive it would be to fabricate a basket for the front of my 5x10? I need the extra storage space without having to go buy a new trailer.

Lawntime Mowers
12-18-2006, 01:43 AM
I was wondering how hard or expensive it would be to fabricate a basket for the front of my 5x10? I need the extra storage space without having to go buy a new trailer.

Here's what I have on mine. It will hold two blowers, three 1 gal gas cans and several acc. and it locks.

sildoc
12-18-2006, 01:54 AM
Now that depends on what you have? Do you have a welder? Steel is pretty cheap compared to everything you need to weld. I have both what Lawntime mowers has and a steel basket. Cost on the steel basket minus welding equip. was right around 60 bucks. thats a 6.5' instead of 5 '. I haul fuel and misc in steel basket and saw hedgers and misc more expensive stuff in locking box.

grass_cuttin_fool
12-18-2006, 06:35 PM
I made 1 for my 6x16 trailer and bought 1 for the 6x12. Time I purchased the new steel I was very close to what the all ready box cost. Here is what I purchased and also made a copy of

http://www.mytscstore.com/detail.asp?pcID=3&paID=1023&sonID=733&page=1&productID=2274&zz=24557&x=7&y=7

wayne

jmartin
12-18-2006, 08:19 PM
I forgot to say at first that my nephew can do all the welding for me, so that's not a problem. Plus my trailer has the straight tongue instead of the a-frame so I don't think I can add any kind of box to that unless I could add some bracing out to the corners for support, but that may interfere with my swivel jack. That basket from Tractor Supply looks pretty good. It may just be easier to buy one and bolt or weld it on.

Thanks everyone for the advice!

Jason Rose
12-18-2006, 09:27 PM
Sorry, but unless you have acess to FREE metal, there's no way to build a soild, sealed and lockable box like the aluminimum one pictured above out of steel for less than that one costs new. Even using expanded metal and angle or square tubing you will end up with more in it than the price of a premade box. Plus to building your own is that it's custom to your specs, however I'd take a good look at what you NEED out of the box and then decide.

Actually the pic of that box on the tounge just gave me an idea! I have one of those boxes too, been sitting in my garage as a chemical storage cabinet. Don't want it ON the toungs of the trailer, but it would work great if I ran a couple supports of some time across the front of the trailer sitting on top of the side rails and then perched the box ontop of those. May have to have it raised though to allow for stuff to go under the bottom of it... hummmm

mosmgras
12-18-2006, 10:05 PM
Sorry, but unless you have acess to FREE metal, there's no way to build a soild, sealed and lockable box like the aluminimum one pictured above out of steel for less than that one costs new.

I agree.

I built an open style basket using 1 1/2" angle and expanded metal. It's 90" wide by 18" tall by 18" deep. Cost about $100 for materials. Powder coat cost another $25. I looked at building an sealed unit with locks, materials were going to be about $400.

sildoc
12-18-2006, 10:25 PM
I agree.

I built an open style basket using 1 1/2" angle and expanded metal. It's 90" wide by 18" tall by 18" deep. Cost about $100 for materials. Powder coat cost another $25. I looked at building an sealed unit with locks, materials were going to be about $400.
You all are looking at regular steel. Look at remnant steel. It is steel that is basically new but has some surface rust or other imperfection. I can tell you at 45 cents per pound you can make quite a bit. Expanded metal you pretty much have to buy new but at 25 bucks a 4x8 sheet it will go a long way.

grass_cuttin_fool
12-19-2006, 08:27 AM
You all are looking at regular steel. Look at remnant steel. It is steel that is basically new but has some surface rust or other imperfection. I can tell you at 45 cents per pound you can make quite a bit. Expanded metal you pretty much have to buy new but at 25 bucks a 4x8 sheet it will go a long way.

Yes what I purchased was new steel, and the place I got it from they sell ''sticks'' or 20 feet lengths only. Also on a good note.......If you have your measurements.....they will cut it any length I need. Same for the expanded metal.......Have to buy the entire sheet.....but they cut it any size I needed it. So I did have metal left over for other progects.

The only bad thing I can say about the TS box is its a lil narrow. But on a good note....I moved my backpack rack to the box and it doesnt stick out passed the side of the trailer. Also you will need to weld some legs to the box unless you mount it to the top of the trailer and then you will loose floor space

wayne

Total.Lawn.Care
12-19-2006, 09:28 AM
If you have access to a welder or have someone that can weld for you, I say make your own. Look at several brands and take the best ideas from each (how they lock, open top, front or back, door swing up or down, racks on the sides, etc.) and incorporate them into your own design. Draw it out, figure out your material list making the most efficeint use of the material you buy and make one to your specs. I say for about $100 in material, you can build a custom box with some extra features fitted to your trailer and you can weld locks on it, etc.

I am in need of buying a welder now so that I can continue to fabricate my own racks and such for my business.

sildoc
12-19-2006, 12:30 PM
If you have access to a welder or have someone that can weld for you, I say make your own. Look at several brands and take the best ideas from each (how they lock, open top, front or back, door swing up or down, racks on the sides, etc.) and incorporate them into your own design. Draw it out, figure out your material list making the most efficeint use of the material you buy and make one to your specs. I say for about $100 in material, you can build a custom box with some extra features fitted to your trailer and you can weld locks on it, etc.

I am in need of buying a welder now so that I can continue to fabricate my own racks and such for my business.
Exactly, buy welding 4 2"x2" cylinders on each side you now have 8 places to hold shovels, rakes and other misc. then on front you can fabricate a place to hold your back pack sprayers.
All this for the cost of a regular box premade.