PDA

View Full Version : Tail Gate Assist ???

Lawntime Mowers
12-17-2006, 10:20 PM
Just built a tail gate assist for my trailer. PVC pipe, garage door springs etc.
I only have it on one side of the gate and it does a pretty good job with just one. Less than half the weight now.....good enough for me.

I'm wondering if I don't have a list assist on both sides if this will cause henge problems in the future. Twisting or uneven wear etc......Any thoughts? :confused:

Raven386
12-17-2006, 10:24 PM
well, never mind it affecting the hinges. id be more worried about what will happen if that spring snaps. PVC pipe is not going to stop flying metal. just my .02

Lawntime Mowers
12-17-2006, 10:48 PM
well, never mind it affecting the hinges. id be more worried about what will happen if that spring snaps. PVC pipe is not going to stop flying metal. just my .02

Ahhhhhhh garage door springs have been mounted on doors without much of a guard since forever.....My only concern would be the cable snapping, that would certainly be a dangerous scenario that a tube of any material isn't going to help guard against.

Lawntime Mowers
12-17-2006, 11:01 PM
Here's a few photos.....nothing special really.......same old song and assist.

cochino12
12-17-2006, 11:48 PM
Where did you find the pulley?

Lawntime Mowers
12-18-2006, 12:16 AM
Where did you find the pulley?

Regular Hardware store. It's actually two pulley's welded together top to top.
I also had a frame made to hold two pulley's but decided to use this one to see how it worked out. Here's a close up shot of both.

pclawncare
12-18-2006, 01:16 AM
Where did you get the spring from? Are there any specifics on them? Im not that familiar with grage door spings

waltero
12-18-2006, 08:02 AM
That looks good, I don't think that you would have too much of a problem with it twisting on you. I would try to add another one on the other side just so the gate was easier to open and close. If you are worried about it twisting you can assist the gate to the ground and back up on the opposite side of the springs.

Walter

Lawntime Mowers
12-18-2006, 11:36 AM
Where did you get the spring from? Are there any specifics on them? Im not that familiar with grage door spings

I picked mine up at another shop but here's a link to Home Depot of what I used.
http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc%2fsearchResults.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@0960663864.1166459683@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccgaddjjhgjjkicgelceffdfgidgml.0&MID=9876

Lawntime Mowers
12-18-2006, 11:40 AM
That looks good, I don't think that you would have too much of a problem with it twisting on you. I would try to add another one on the other side just so the gate was easier to open and close. If you are worried about it twisting you can assist the gate to the ground and back up on the opposite side of the springs.

Walter

One of the Gate assist Co. had a little disclaimer that said to use both to avoid hinge problems etc. I thought it could be a sales gimmick but not sure......Thanks for the input.

Grass-Masters
12-19-2006, 11:36 AM
Looks good, I have one on mine. they do help quite a bit.

Lawntime Mowers
12-19-2006, 11:05 PM
Looks good, I have one on mine. they do help quite a bit.
Thanks! Ya, I'm gonna try it with the one for awhile and if my back says add one to the other side then I guess I'll have to listen.:weightlifter:

bhooper
01-18-2008, 01:43 PM
Tail Gate Assist what size and length and pounds of springs did you use.

topsites
01-19-2008, 01:43 AM
Yeah all you really have to do is monitor the cable, if it ever looks like it's fraying then replace it immediately and you should be fine.

Lawntime Mowers
01-19-2008, 09:46 AM
Tail Gate Assist what size and length and pounds of springs did you use.

Get the heaviest one you can find (in pounds of pull).
They are around 2 feet long.
Be extra careful with placement and securing the cable. Use two crimps per end if you have to.....overkill but why not
Good luck

C~

takinglifeasy
02-11-2008, 10:09 PM
my wife got me a elegator for christmas. i'm impressed!!! she went to www.elegator.com

Jason Rose
02-12-2008, 12:45 AM
my wife got me a elegator for christmas. i'm impressed!!! she went to "my site.com"

Really? sounds to me like she bought you the company too... Also sounds like if you want to ADVERTIZE on this fine site you best start kicking in and become a sponsor. Because people plugging their products in this type of shady manner are not liked by the owners.

takinglifeasy
02-12-2008, 11:21 AM
Jason,

In your post you are letting others know what type of equipment you have, Grasshopper, Walker, Stihl, Husquarna, Trimmer Trap, Great Dane, Permagreen because you think that they are quality products. That's your preference.
I disagree. I prefer Skag, Toro, Red Max and Ryan.
I respect what you post. I thought this site was to share ideas and experiences. This is America.

Jason Rose
02-12-2008, 12:48 PM
takinglifeeasy: I based my post on the fact that you brought up about 5 threads about gate lifts from the past and copy and pasted the same comment to each of them. Plus after looking at the site they are made in Colorado, your "location" is Colorado. Seems fishy to me.

Plus, looking at the elegator, what a joke. just a garage door spring, wide open to the world hooked to the gate and the trailer. Hate to be the guy standing there lifting or lowering the gate, inches from it, when it breaks...

takinglifeasy
02-12-2008, 03:12 PM
takinglifeeasy: I based my post on the fact that you brought up about 5 threads about gate lifts from the past and copy and pasted the same comment to each of them. Plus after looking at the site they are made in Colorado, your "location" is Colorado. Seems fishy to me.

Plus, looking at the elegator, what a joke. just a garage door spring, wide open to the world hooked to the gate and the trailer. Hate to be the guy standing there lifting or lowering the gate, inches from it, when it breaks...

Jason,
This is why America is great! OPEN FORUM. There are members who like to be do-it-yourselfers. Some don't. There are a lot of great ideas and info on this site. Some members plug themselves and list their company's name and every piece of equipment they have. That's their preference. Some members just like to read the site and learn and get all the info and help they can and make an informed decision. Other members are excited about a purchase or what they made or accomplished. They give references, attach photos. Some members regret giving references because another member has been burned. Some members make snap judgements. As to Colorado? Colorado is where my roots are. And this is my preference. I would live nowhere else. I don't know if Kansas is your preference and if it is, that's your decision. We all do not think the way you do. It's a diversified country. That's what makes lawnsite a great learning tool.

takinglifeasy

HenryB
02-12-2008, 03:21 PM
I watched the video on the site. With the safety rope how is it dangerous? Nice simple design. A bit overpriced but so are all gadgets. I'd just make my own. It is a direct pull more lift than the others due to no cable and pulleys.

PS Has anyone ever knew anyone injured by a garage door? You guys talk like its a nuclear reactor. I broke many springs working at an overhead door company never any murder death kill:confused:

Jason Rose
02-12-2008, 06:54 PM
PS Has anyone ever knew anyone injured by a garage door? You guys talk like its a nuclear reactor. I broke many springs working at an overhead door company never any murder death kill:confused:

Injured, no, scared, yes.

About 10 years ago, living in a duplex with a 16' door. Pulled my truck in one day, hit the door button as I was walking in the door. Just as I was closing the walk-in door, BANG. The spring on my side broke and a section of it hit the sheetrock wall about 2 feet from the door making a nice hole in the wall. If I had maybe hit the door button and then walked back to the truck to get something out I probably would have cought it right in the face.

Sure 99% of the time garage door springs that break don't injure anyone because people are either in the house, in the car, or down the driveway when the door goes down and it breaks. If that same spring is attached to a trailer, right where you stand to raise and lower the gate your risk factor is multiplied by a bunch.(techinical data there).

Anyone who would BUY the elegator thing is a little crazy IMO. Ok, you think it's cool and would work fine, well go to the store and buy a spring, 2 eye bolts, and a length of rope. Boom, for about 35 bucks you just made one.