PDA

View Full Version : Koehler vs Kawasaki

Grass Kickin
12-18-2006, 08:00 AM
My question relates to torque and HP measurements for the Koehler 28HP EFI and the Kawasaki 25HP engines.

Are the horsepower measurements taken the same? I was told that Koehel bases its ratings on piston size an displacement where Kawasaki takes its measurements based on power coming out of the crank. Wouldn't this be the true measurement? I was also told there was little power difference between both engines. The EFi was better on gas. Anyone elaborate?

mowerconsultant
12-19-2006, 03:27 PM
There certainly is a difference in HP and torque, the EFI is going to be more fuel efficient than a carbed engine in the same hp category.
Kohler rated their HP by the ASE small engine test procedure, I am not sure how Kawasaki does theirs, you would need to contact them.
Here is the Kohler information.

MODEL Command PRO CV745
MAX. POWER @ 3600 RPM hp (kW) 28 (20.9)
DISPLACEMENT cu. in. (cc) 44.0 (725)
BORE in. (mm) 3.3 (83)
STROKE in. (mm) 2.6 (67)
PEAK TORQUE @ MAXIMUM lbs. ft. (Nm) 44.8 (60.7) @ 2200
COMPRESSION RATIO 9.0:1
DRY WEIGHT lbs. (kg) 94 (43)
OIL CAPACITY U.S. quarts (liters) 2.0 (1.9)
LUBRICATION Full pressure w/full-flow filter
DIMENSIONS L x W x H in. 21.2 x 17.7 x 14.3

*Length is blower housing to air cleaner. Width is spark plug to spark plug. Height is top of air cleaner cover to mounting feet.

Horsepower ratings (shown as gross) are in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers Small Engine Test Code J1940. Actual engine horsepower is lower and affected by, but not limited to, accessories (air cleaner, exhaust, charging, cooling, fuel pump, etc.), application, engine speed and ambient operating conditions (temperature, humidity and altitude). For more information, contact Kohler Co. Engine Engineering Department. Kohler Co. reserves the right to change product specifications, designs and standard equipment without notice and without incurring obligation.

Here is Kawasaki's information.
http://www.kawpowr.com/images/engines/4cycle/fh721v_specs.gif

Grass Kickin
12-19-2006, 03:58 PM
Actual engine horsepower is lower and affected by, but not limited to, accessories (air cleaner, exhaust, charging, cooling, fuel pump, etc.), application, engine speed and ambient operating conditions (temperature, humidity and altitude).

Does this basically mean in the real world, the engine will not perform the same as tested? So it would perform under test standards? I would say the torque difference is minimal at best. I don't own the EFI but I do have a pair of 25's on my Super Z and 52" Z. They are fine for those mowers. I remember someone said the 25 is grossly underpowered, not the case IMHO.

Another question....when I post on this forum, why don't my posts appear immediately after posting like on the other parts of the board?

Mowerconsultant, thank you for your info.

mowerconsultant
12-19-2006, 04:07 PM
It basically means, different brands with different options in different parts of the country / altitudes / conditions, will affect the hp of the engine.
The board is a moderated board, I need to release your posts before they can be seen / responded to.

Pj

puppypaws
12-19-2006, 06:40 PM
Actual engine horsepower is lower and affected by, but not limited to, accessories (air cleaner, exhaust, charging, cooling, fuel pump, etc.), application, engine speed and ambient operating conditions (temperature, humidity and altitude).

Does this basically mean in the real world, the engine will not perform the same as tested? So it would perform under test standards? I would say the torque difference is minimal at best. I don't own the EFI but I do have a pair of 25's on my Super Z and 52" Z. They are fine for those mowers. I remember someone said the 25 is grossly underpowered, not the case IMHO.

Another question....when I post on this forum, why don't my posts appear immediately after posting like on the other parts of the board?

Mowerconsultant, thank you for your info.I have owned the 25 Kawasaki on a 60" Super Z and I am now running the 28 efi Kohler on a 66" Super Z. The 28 efi performs like it has 30 hp in comparison to the 25 Kawasaki, you need to run a 28 efi on a 60" Super Z and you will see that when the throttle lag on a 25 Kawasaki comes in play because of the governor the 28 efi would pull ahead because it will not drop the rpm's as much as the Kawasaki. Electronic Fuel Injection puts carburetors back in the twentieth century.