PDA

View Full Version : hey guys

Five Star Lawn Care LLC
06-27-2001, 12:55 AM
Well guys i know it has been a while but its been insane around here. The begining of the year started out great everything was goin smooth we got a good client list and started getting into a lot more landscaping...two weeks ago we bought a new f-250 and we were going to start running 2 lawn crews and gett all the work done in 2 days so we could concentrate have both crews doing landscaping the rest of the week...well everything was in place we had gotten all the mowers ready and lined up jobs and everything was looking good.....well this monday we had all the guys meet at my house and were going to take both truck out and try our new system out. well we get our equipmwnt yard and a 24' enclosed which had all the mowers, whips, blowers and edgers in it had been stolen over then weekend.....im completely in shock, im still trying to get a graps on if im just dreaming....insurance is only covering 10,000 and i had over 30,000 in the trailer....i have no idean what im going to do ::::::(

Eric ELM
06-27-2001, 01:08 AM
I'm sure sorry to hear this. It is a terrible feeling to find this out, I've been there done that and I know the feeling.

I suppose you haven't had a chance to read about the new OPEfacts.com? Here is the link to that thread.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=16870

This new site will help to possible get equipment back. This happens all the time and not just to LCO's but homeowners too.

I sure hope they find your equipment and good luck in the future. :)

Scag48
06-27-2001, 02:15 AM
Sorry to hear about your misfortune :(. That really sucks. I only have about 2 grand into equipment if I was ripped off, I'd be really pissed. It takes me a while to pay off my stuff and I don't have insurance on any of it yet. I really hope you get everything figured out. I'd hate to have this happen to me. Hope everything goes well for you and good luck.

BeerBefore12
06-27-2001, 04:43 AM
I'm so very sorry. and the insurance part really makes me cringe. I hope you get back up and on it. so far I've had 2 nice chainsaws taken out of my own front yard. the trailer with the real goods was just 50 yards away. right now after hearing your situation i'm thinking low-jack for lawncare. good luck

jaclawn
06-27-2001, 10:11 PM
Why is the insurance only covering $10,000? IS it because that is the limit of your policy? If that is the case, this is a lesson to everyone. Don't underestimate the value of your equipment, to save on insurance premiums. If you have a policy limit, THAT IS ALL THAT THEY WILL PAY. That is all that they are obligated to pay.

Now, if there is a dispute over the value of the items stolen... Well, that is a whole other thread.

cp
06-27-2001, 10:29 PM
I'm sorry for you. My wife had her purse stolen at the first of the year and we are still trying to resolve that delima. Double check your insurance for any clause that may help you..The only good thought out of this is that they will surely get their just rewards:angry:

AVRECON
06-27-2001, 11:16 PM
If you are a home owner. Check that policy out and see if they will cover it.

Randy Scott
06-27-2001, 11:32 PM
Seems pretty stupid to carry $10,000 in coverage when you need $30,000. There is no excuse, you need to make sure of this stuff before leaving your insurance guys office. If this is all they offer then get someone else. There is no problem getting insurance in this day and age. You have the money for a new truck and two crews then you need to spend the money on premiums, its common sense.

rdh
06-27-2001, 11:46 PM
I had my stuff stolden 2 mounths ago and have not got a dime yet .every time i call about it they say oh it will be there in 30 days .if it dont come soon i will end up getting a lawyer.

David Gretzmier
06-28-2001, 12:00 AM
stupid is not a word I would use to someone who has just had extreme misfortune. Try your homeowners policy. there may be some money there. if you rent, get a renter's policy and cover 30,000 in tools. it'll be less than a hundred a month. you can get a trailer policy "rider" on your truck insurance to cover contents. typically less than a hundred. And finally the most expensive is to cover theft commercially, which rates do go up as the theft insurance covers more $$$ equipment. probably closer to 200 per month. Sorry. try to find some used choppers, trailers, but buy new trimmers and blowers. good luck. Dave g

ron
06-28-2001, 12:13 AM
DAM Sorry to hear this
Just take a deep breath take two steps back.Relax you will get it all together it will just take some time...start checking out all the pawn shops in your area and the news paper you might get lucky and find your equipment some dumb As? drug user probally of it might be in inside job check out your people....good luck...hang in there it will all work out for ya...

Lawn DOG
06-28-2001, 12:26 AM
I'm sure alot of these post are stuff you already realize and are totally useles but we all feel very sorry for you. Don't let this misfortune stop you.
I hope that whatever low-life stole this from you will get caught.

Scotty
06-28-2001, 12:58 AM
Hey Five Star

Sorry to hear about your equipment and trailer. Where are you located in Livonia and where was the yard the equipment was stolen from. I'm based out of Livonia near Six Mile and Merriman. I keep most of our equipment at our shop in Farmington. As I sit here, writing this, I just can't imagine going to work and discovering all the equipment is gone. My shop was broken into a few years ago and a few edgers, blade grinder, air compressor and tools were stolen, but nothing like your experince.

Scott

geogunn
06-28-2001, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by David Gretzmier
stupid is not a word I would use to someone who has just had extreme misfortune.

nicely said, david. thanks.

GEO

Toroguy
06-28-2001, 02:41 AM
Homework time...

I hope you have time for a background check on all the employees on your staff. This reeks of a bad apple in your midst. Keep the check quiet. Absenteeism is my first suspicion...check it out.

sheppard
06-28-2001, 08:15 AM
In the last month Tallahassee has been hit hard on lawn equipment theft. Had a front page story in the local mullett wrapper. Seems like it is done by people attempting to start their own business. Comforting thought. One nursery/lawn care company had their entire warehouse broken into and completely wiped out. In our case we had a few selected items stolen- extension hedgers, old blowers... and this was when brand new equipment was in site and unlocked. Probably a past employee. Can't count the times I've had a competitor try the distraction ploy while another person looked over the equipment. It takes a low life skum bag to steal a man's tools that feed his family.

Cordially,
Sheppard

1145JohnDeere
06-28-2001, 09:49 AM
Good idea on background checks. In my county you can get persons name and SSAN, go to courthouse and check circuit and district court files on a computer in the lobby for records of court cases. Beware of those that pop up for theft!!

Several years ago I had a JD 915 stolen from the dealer where I had left it for repairs. The police seemed uninterested because they had so many similar cases and the probabilty of finding the mower was remote. However, I hate a thief, that mower was paid off through a lot of sweat and having a law enforcement background I decided to pursue the case. I placed an ad in the Truck and Equipment Trader magazine that you see in racks at convenient stores and paid extra to have the ad run once on the cover. In the ad I had a picture of my lawn mower and listed several distinguishing characteristics (dents, seat ripped, decals, etc). I offered a $500 reward for info on its return. This type of magazine is popular with LCO types and I had a tip from a guy 60 miles and two counties away within 2 weeks. I recovered my mower (the process is another story!!) and the insurance company agreed to pay the reward, which was cheaper than the $6000 for the mower.

GrassMaster
06-28-2001, 10:54 AM
Hello:

I would check into this some more?

Why is $30,000 worth of Equipment only covered for $10,000, that $30K should be covered for more than $30K so if you add on to it, there is no problems.

Off Topic:
At the time being I do not have Company truck for my shop due to the Numerous Low Lifes out there wanting to sue people that are self Employed. A wreck back in 95 with company Truck, no body Hurt & nobody charged. Week later Lady at work stands up at her work desk & LOL Screams, falls backwards busting the back of her head open. Doctor said she was in LOL Trama for week due to Injuries from wreck? Insurance company settled out of court for $25K, My Insurance was cancelled. My Rates went up, later daughter gets in wreck, settled out of court for $41,500. Driver was not hurt but he had a Heart Attach, Insurance cancelled again? Rates went up?

I have 4 Personal use vehicles & I carry a $500,000 Liability on them, It cost me an extra $67.50 every 6 months. I'm still worried I get sued, I have a Million coverage at work with a Million Umbrella, LOL still worried I get sued?

A lot of companies will only Insure you for 15, 25 or $50K. That is Chicken feed? Why? Look at how many $35K to $50K vehicles out there & say 3 vechicles involved & say you lucky & only 3 to 4 people total sue you for say a tiny $25,000 a piece. You only have a $100K total?

Well now figure where the rest over the $100K comes from? If you only have $100K total coverage. It comes out of your life?

I've had people that make over $100K a year make smart arse remarks at me because they so Stupid & Flat out Ignorant that they think I make that much. Most folks are Jealous of Self Employed People, because they are scared to take the plunge.

Besides I've been told more than once LOL, "Since you own the business, you can just Write it off." This is the same Low Lifes that sue me. People lie to save a few bucks these day & some smart talking lawyer comes along & gets piece of my pie. It is now a Known fact that Insurance Companies will settle out of court for $25,000 in a HeartBeat over nothing.

I'm Insurance poor, I'm still worried I will get sued. People these days all they care about is themselves if they can lie & save a buck or 2 they do it. When Judgement day comes the Big Guy remembers all? Thank God that I at all times try to put myself in others shoes & I've never lied in my life for monetary gain, well except at tax time but I was told I'm exempt from that? LOL, :)