PDA

View Full Version : Hustler Super Z

Eric ELM
06-27-2001, 12:56 AM
Paul Mullet president of Excel/Hustler emailed me asking me to try out the Hustler Super Z and give my opinion on their new mower, since they were going to have it in my area today. Lonnie Hamm brought it out to the job and we tested it out.

It seems very well built and they have some nice features on this machine. The new brake system is nicely designed, when you put the levers in neutral and swing them out and the brakes are applied. This feature is nice so employees don't start mowing with the emergency brake on. Duh, I backed mine off the trailer today before I realized mine was on. I'll get used to mine again. :)

The engine to the deck belt layout is different than I have seen. The one belt goes from the engine to all the spindles instead of a belt to the center spindle that usually runs another belt that runs to each of the other 2 outside spindles. I also liked the idea of being able to change that belt without any tools.

The engine is positioned so oil changes would be easy and it has 12 gallons of gas on board, which is nice. All the controls were very accessible from the operators seat. The foot deck lift with spring assist worked very nice, adjustable in 1/4" increments by moving a pin for the stop.

The seat was very comfortable and I'm fussy about seats.

The ride was very good and the cut was also nice. They have a blade tip speed of 18,300 ft per min which is around the maximum limit. I think you have a winner Paul. The only thing I don't know about it the longevity, but with the parts you used to build it, I'd say it would be right up there with the best of them. ;)

EJK2352
06-27-2001, 01:27 AM
Must have got the one belt on deck from eXmark. My 52 HP Lazer has
only one deck belt.

awm
06-27-2001, 07:47 AM
wish i could get presidents of companies to bring me mowers to demo.
perks of your situation ,huh,good report. later

scottb
06-27-2001, 08:20 AM
Nice post Eric It's always nice to hear a report on how a product performs by someone that knows how to use it. I wish ther was a publication that put all the lawncare equipment in head to head showdowns the way they do ATVs,dirtbikes,cars,truck,etc. Heck I would even volunteer to be a testdriver lol.

JLC
06-27-2001, 09:04 AM
Eric,

How was the speed. I doubt it could cut at 15 mph, but can it hang with the DC's for cutting speed and maintain a quality cut? Was the seat the suspension seat?

JLC

mowerconsultant
06-27-2001, 05:17 PM
I figured I would post some pics for anyone interested.
Also, these units are going to be rolling off the production line on friday.
If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.
Pj

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1249267&a=9232673&p=50895765
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1249267&a=9232673&p=50895766
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1249267&a=9232673&p=50895767

Eric ELM
06-27-2001, 05:49 PM
JLC
From what Lonnie said, it has a ground transport speed of 15 MPH, but it mows best at 8 or 10 MPH and that is about the speed I mowed at, at the fastest. I only mowed the front of a house and it wasn't real big, so I couldn't get going to fast. Yes, it does have a suspention seat that does take a lot of the shock out.

Shawn Burns
06-27-2001, 07:45 PM
for anybody thats interested, i bought a hustler z in march. ihave about 125 hrs on now and love it! the hydrolics are really smooth and with the foot mounted deck lift i don't have to stop to lift the deck to negotiate an obstacle. the difference between a regular z and the super z are;reg. z has 23 horse kawi ,super z 25 horse kawi,super z has a remote air filter and suspension seat standard, reg. z does not, and reg. z ground speed is about 8-10 mph and like you already know the super z is about 15.

mowerconsultant
06-27-2001, 07:51 PM
Shawn,
The suspension seat is not standard.
Although it is a very nice seat, not everyone see's a need for it, so we make it a option, to keep costs down to the end user.

TLS
06-27-2001, 08:50 PM
EJK2352,

I think what Eric meant about the belts is that it only has ONE belt doing what most mowers need a deck belt and a deck drive belt (ie: Exmark, DC, Toro, all others). Not sure how Hustler does this, but with a vertical shaft engine, I'm sure it isnt rocket science. Looks like a nice mower on paper and in pictures. Unfortunatly, there are no Hustler dealers around me.

Shawn Burns
06-27-2001, 09:29 PM
i guess you're right , my mistake. i opted not to get the suspension seat myself, but now after trying one out i think i'll have to have one! tryed one the other day at the hustler dealer and it shure do ride good!

mowerconsultant
06-27-2001, 10:42 PM
Shawn,
The suspension seat does make a difference in ride, smooths it out a bunch.
The suspension seat is only 395.00 more when on a unit from the factory. But when ordered seperately, it is 595.00 more, so it is best to buy your unit with the suspension seat on it from the factory.

Dixie1,
Where are you located ?
Maybe we can get a dealer closer to you.

Pj

trimmer
06-27-2001, 11:11 PM
I wish we had another dealer other than the one we got. I would really like to serously look at one but I am not going to buy one from the dealer that sells them around here.

mowerconsultant
06-27-2001, 11:37 PM
Trimmer,
Who is your dealer ?
Does he have a bad rep ?
Let us know so we can get you taken care of

David Gretzmier
06-28-2001, 12:10 AM
595 for a suspension seat??? Mowerconsultant are you serious? an AIR suspension seat from Northern catalog is 349, and this is a VERY nice lumbar, adjustable seatback type, and most simple ones like on the super z are 150-250 MAX. I run the $89 cheapie supension and it smoothes out bumps just fine. I love the looks and specs of the mower, but have a horrible dealer. I had a shortcut for a year and was only able to use it for 6 months, as the dealer would keep it a month at a time for each fix. I would buy it if I knew it wouldn't break. Dave g

joshua
06-28-2001, 12:46 AM
eric, how did the new super z stripe?

hey mowerconsultant if your in my area again, tell me i would like to demo the new z. thanks

Eric ELM
06-28-2001, 12:51 AM
Joshua, It did a good job of striping. You can tell in the above pictures that it does also.

JLC
06-28-2001, 12:55 AM
When will Hustler update their website? I would like to know the specs and such on this model. Wonder if their bagger will work on this machine as well? This bagger for their Z should also be updated on their website. I wish manufacturers would do a better job of keeping the websites up to date. It would help with their product sales a bunch I would think.

mowerconsultant
06-28-2001, 01:15 AM
Jlc,
Sorry about the web site not being updated, I have to say though, we have had a few problems with the server.
As far as the catcher fitting, it is the same frame unit, so the catcher will mount the same and work great.
Here are the specs:
Differences from the standard unit are:
25hp kawasaki, remote air filtration system, hydro coolers, larger hydro gear pumps (bdp21's), and white wheel motors (ce20's)

Joshua,
I do not have a Super Z yet, as soon as I can arrange a demo with one, I will e-mail you and set it up.

David,
Yes, that is the price of the seat if you had to buy one outright from your parts department. But like I had posted, order it on the machine new and there is only a 395.00 upcharge. I know about the seat pricing through aftermarket catalogs and such, I dont know how they price em so cheap, we buy direct from the company that makes our seats, and we dont get em as cheap as they are in the catalogs.
Many other oem's are in the same situation, we are not the only ones...

dhicks
06-28-2001, 10:23 AM
I hope to test the Super-Z at Expo. If the Super-Z is anything like my Hustler Hydro W/B, I'm getting two once my dealer gets them in inventory. Bye-Bye Toro.

Artman
06-28-2001, 03:15 PM
We will have several Super Zs at EXPO. We will have one outside in an isolated dragstrip setup so you can push it up to top speed without worrying about hitting anyone. We will also have the 52" Z, 72" Super Z, and the BAC-VAC catcher on the Z. Please come by our booth, mention LawnSite, and say Hi.

As to our web site. We are feverishly updating the site to have Super Z info. It SHOULD be up there next week. Please keep trying.

JLC
06-28-2001, 05:06 PM
Is this machine better suited to flatlands compared to hills because of the new hydro setup, like the Dixie Chopper Flatlander, or is this not an issue? I like hills and wouldn't want to be bogging or wearing anything out prematurely climbing them just to gain the extra speed.

mowerconsultant
06-28-2001, 09:19 PM
Jlc,
The Hustler Z is awesome on hills, the best non-hillside unit I have ever had on a hill.
As far as the hydro components go, they are the same series as the ones used in the Dixie Chopper, but a different model in that series.
I will try and get some specs for comparison asap.

HOMER
06-28-2001, 09:33 PM
Nobody mentioned price.....did they?

Eric, would that be your second choice? You know......if...?

Mowerconsultant: Why don't other manufacturers attemp to duplicate the OCDC like the Choppers use. I could not bring myself to buy anything without that option after owning one that has it. I'm sure Chopper has a patent but there has to be a way to mimic it and achieve the same results.

Eric ELM
06-28-2001, 09:39 PM
Homer, I think Lonnie said the way that one was set up it would be around $8500.

Eric, would that be your second choice? You know......if...?
Yes :)

mowerconsultant
06-28-2001, 09:41 PM
Homer,
Pricing....
25hp-60" Super Z non-suspension seat $8995.00 list
25hp-60" Super Z suspension seat $9390.00 list
25hp-72" Super Z non-suspension seat $9345.00 list
25hp-72" Super Z suspension seat $9740.00 list
Note: 72" deck unit available in September, although we will have a couple to show at expo in Louisville.

As far as no one making a ocdc.....I dont have a answer on that one, I am assuming patent issues.

PWM
06-28-2001, 11:16 PM
Eric,

Thanks for taking the time to review the Super Z. Lonnie was real impressed with your product knowledge and your operation.

I also want to address the question on the hydraulics and hillside operation.

When we first looked at speeding up the Hustler Z from 10mph to 15mph our pump supplier, Hydrogear, was concerned about high continuous pressures which would shorten the life of the pumps. They said we could expect about a 10 to 15 percent failure rate, which is much too high. To get our pressures to an acceptable level, but still obtain the 15 mph speed, we replaced the BDP 10 pumps with BDP 21's with relief valves. The relief valves give the Super Z added protection against pressure spikes created when jumping curbs, etc.

One other thing you will notice on the Super Z is that we are running an auxillary fan with the dual hydro oil coolers. We tried putting the coolers over the engine to use the engine air intake but this caused the engine to overheat in extreme conditions.

If you have any other questions, please post them or send me an Email.

Thanks again Eric and hope to see you in Louisville.

Paul

mowerconsultant
06-29-2001, 12:17 PM
Per Dixie Choppers site:
Hyrdraulic components used on XWD2600 and XWD5000
Hydrogear EDP-21L pumps
White Hydraulics HB series hydraulic wheel motors
I believe these are the only models that use this combo.
Eric, I could be wrong on this, correct me if I am...

The Hustler Super Z uses:
Hydrogear BDP-21 pumps (with pressure release valve)
and
White CE-20 wheel motors

JLC
07-05-2001, 01:36 AM
Hustlers site is updated with the Super Z specs and picture of the bac vac. I found it by clicking on the Hustler Z page and there is a link to the Super Z from there. Check it out.

crazygator
07-05-2001, 02:46 AM
I am looking for a ZRT and wondered where the dealer was in Nashville, TN and if I can set up a demo? Thank you for any info and help!

mowerconsultant
07-05-2001, 10:10 AM
Crazygator,
Your dealer in Nashville is:

Tieco Tennessee, Inc.
118 Park South Court
Nashville , TN 37210
Phone: 615-244-9871
Fax: 615-255-4917
E-mail: nashville@tiecoinc.com

Give them a call they would be glad to give you a demo.

Pj

crazygator
07-06-2001, 10:52 PM
Well I went to look today. I am very impressed! They did not have the Super just the Hustler Z 23hp Kaw 60". Seems very strong, sturdy and very low center of gravity. I loved the parking brakes. Just move the handles out to exit the machine and they are set. How much different will the Super Z be? I look forward to seeing it at the expo. What would the retail price on the super be? Thanks for the info!

dhicks
07-06-2001, 11:00 PM
Go up a few messages and the price are there for the Super Z.

crazygator
07-06-2001, 11:30 PM
Duh for me. LOL! I am tired and just not looking. Thanks! Does anyone know the retail price of the walk behinds? The salesman was in another city today and I just fell in love with the walk behind too. Oh well, thanks again for redirecting me.

mowerconsultant
07-07-2001, 12:10 AM
Which walk behinds would you like prices on ?
We have several.

crazygator
07-07-2001, 11:28 PM
I looked at the (or want) 48" Hydro h-bar with 17hp Kaw. What is the price of this machine, also price the mulch kit and what does it include? Thank you so much!

mowerconsultant
07-08-2001, 12:14 AM
The Hustler 17/48 (model 925651) hydro walk behind list price is $5595.00
Prices vary from dealer to dealer, you may find it less expensive at yours.
As far as mulch kit goes (model 344788), it consists of 2 baffles that bolt into the deck to seperate the cutting chambers and a baffle to cover the discharge. The list price is $85.00

Pj

T A
07-09-2001, 01:43 AM
Are there any Hustler dealers in Springfield Mo. area?Would love to add this to my buy list.

PWM
07-09-2001, 10:58 AM
T A - We need a dealer in Springfield. Do you have one you would recommend?

Paul

accuratelawn
07-09-2001, 10:10 PM
PWM... have you talked to Ozark Outdoors about being a dealer for your product? They are a Cub Cadet, Yazoo/Kees, Great Dane dealer. They do not move many Great Dane units. Might give them a call...ask for Rick

PWM
07-09-2001, 11:39 PM
accuratelawn... Thanks for the recommendation. We will give Rick a call.

mowerconsultant
07-10-2001, 10:48 AM
To those who have not seen the Super Z, there is a real good pic of the rear wing and hydrocoolers on the website now.
Just click here www.excelhustler.com

Pj

JLC
07-11-2001, 11:42 AM
Is there any plans down the road for other engines on this machine...diesel, fuel injection? Can't wait to see the machine at the expo.

mowerconsultant
07-11-2001, 10:07 PM
Jlc,
We currently offer the 23hp and 25hp Kawasaki engines.
I have not heard anything about any new engine options.
If and when I do, the folks at Lawnsite will be the first to know....

Pj